Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1469237520751812615

It's all popping off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We can trace the infection from Brentford to Spurs to Norwich with Ivan Toney as the initial unwitting vector.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
this sounds like a terrible situation for leicester they should probably just forfeit the 3 points to us because we're poo poo and need them and also to avoid any asymptomatic spread.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

We can trace the infection from Brentford to Spurs to Norwich with Ivan Toney as the initial unwitting vector.

Would hate to be the last team to have played Brentford and just coming to the end of a lengthy series of injuries to key players. That would be of concern

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1469260610177314816

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Love the lack of defensive highlights.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You don’t have to defend to be a defender but he is a defender

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You don’t have to defend to be a defender but he is a defender

Trent is a winger who plays at fullback because it gives him the space to run from deep, and barely defends because the team is set up to cover for him being fifty yards up the pitch all the time. Kind of like Dani Alves back when Barcelona were good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Trent plays at fullback

So he’s a defender?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Trent has more tackles than Fabinho this year so v :) v

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

4 clean sheets in 5 matches in November, definitely huge defensive problems in the side

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

greazeball posted:

4 clean sheets in 5 matches in November, definitely huge defensive problems in the side

That's what we're saying!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

So he’s a defender?

A function of Klopp-ball is that both full backs average position is somewhere around the halfway line. Gerrard did the same for us, Villa will do the same again - though :lol: if the plan is to get Ashley Young to run that much.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Klopp's system basically makes the fullbacks wings, and the two outside center midfielders become something between fullbacks and center mids.

I think it is Henderson who usually plays on TAA's side, he does a lot of the defending work left to a more traditional fullback. Also Jim "Big Jim" Milner, who is very good at it.

It works well because it helps pin the opposing wingers and fullbacks deeper but TAA in particular can get pretty exposed if he's left to his own devices deep in his own end. Which, granted, not a lot of teams are actually able to do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

What was the fifth match and who was at least partly responsible for 66% of the goals they conceded in that match though?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What was the fifth match and who was at least partly responsible for 66% of the goals they conceded in that match though?

Yer mam

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Trent making people v mad is v funny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I don't care enough about Trent to get mad, he just puzzles me I guess. He's just not that good?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

goddamnedtwisto posted:

West Ham have only failed to score 4 times in all competitions since August, they might be pretty good at this football thing!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

greazeball posted:

West Ham have only failed to score 4 times in all competitions since August, they might be pretty good at this football thing!

Trent was absolutely shocking that game though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I get annoyed that everyone calls Alexander-Arnold "Trent" like he's a mate, or Cher.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I mean, same, but his name is too loving long and "TAA" is worse than "Trent"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
In the same vein why is Harry Kane only referred to by his full name at all times by commentators, as though if they said 'and Kane only has the keeper to beat' I'm going to assume he's about to chokeslam him and fires going to come up from the corner flags

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TheRat posted:

I don't care enough about Trent to get mad, he just puzzles me I guess. He's just not that good?

Not that good at what, though? Defending? That's not his role in the team, as others have said. He pushes on and the midfielders cover for him. Lots of teams do/have done this. Unless you think he's not good going forward, in which case I don't know what to say.

sassassin posted:

I get annoyed that everyone calls Alexander-Arnold "Trent" like he's a mate, or Cher.

100% agree with this, but not just for him. Ole, Zlatan, Pep, etc. gently caress off. I guess it's because those players have long/difficult to spell names, but still.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine being caremad about the shorthand names people use online

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
“Andy” does the same stupid poo poo as Trentalexanderarnold but doesn’t get half the poo poo about it. Hopefully it’s because he’s not English.

That being said, I love them both 4eva.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

My mum's been dead for 5 years and she'd *still* have done a better job at the corner for the third goal. Zouma might at least have tripped over her urn or something.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

paddyboat posted:

“Andy” does the same stupid poo poo as Trentalexanderarnold but doesn’t get half the poo poo about it. Hopefully it’s because he’s not English.

That being said, I love them both 4eva.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone call him Andy. Seen plenty of "Robbo" though, which is cultural appropriation imo.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheRat posted:

he is very good actually

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
IMO he was the best player in November.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Imagine being caremad about the shorthand names people use online

It's not just online, all the pundits and most commentators do it too.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

TheRat posted:

Trent was absolutely shocking that game though

9:43 lmao https://youtu.be/8hwV_V7zBz4

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Also 7:40 is great because he’s in a very typical defensive right back position when Liverpool coughs up possession, and takes about 3 more seconds than everyone else to notice what’s going on

Oops a goal

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Here is my hot take: Trent is a good, humble guy and a valuable player and I think he will continue to improve. I think he had a good month and contributed a lot to Liverpool's success over the last couple of seasons even though he has had bad moments as a defender.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Next pass is into a tightly marked Liverpool player who loses possession

Possession has changed, TAA should see west ham will overload Liverpool’s left if the man in possession carries forward, and he needs to compress with his CB, or at least keep pace with Fornals so the right CB isn’t left on an island

What in the world

Yes this is partially due to Klopp’s system leaving the centerbacks exposed if there’s a bad pass made into the central mids high up the pitch, but Trent was in a decent enough defensive position here and got absolutely lost on the counter. Between this and the ball watching on the third goal to give Zouma a free header he was directly at fault for 2 goals in a 1-3 loss that is why Liverpool isn’t top of the league.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
What I think I'm getting here is that while he's not an objectively great player - in the sense he could slot into very many other top sides and be an upgrade - what he does works for this Liverpool side. Good for him, IMO.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
He’s one of the best ball strikers in the league and plays his role very well but saying he’s the best player in the league for the month in which he got owned twice in a 6 pointer is a bit much

Especially when Mo Salah is RIGHT THERE

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Trent is terrible and Liverpool should sell him ASAP to a club closer to his level, Leeds United for instance

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Trent is terrible and Liverpool should sell him ASAP to a club closer to his level, Leeds United for instance

You're going to need someone to replace Kalvin Phillips, might as well transition Trenton Alexander Graham Bell Arnold Schwarzenegger to the midfield role he should be playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
If Trent was a good midfielder he’d be playing midfield