Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

get that man an account holy poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/KZN22__/status/1477308411960348673

lmao

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat

This subforum keeps falling for the joke Twitter account.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw a thing in an article today and it made me think - of the top PL signings, most of which have come in just the last few years, who can we say has really been an unqualified success, or even, dare we say it, worthy of their enormous transfer fee?

Here's every PL signing that cost over 50 million pounds:

Jack Grealish - Man City, 2021, 100m
Romelu Lukaku - Chelsea, 2021, 97.5m
Paul Pogba - Man U, 2016, 89m
Harry Maguire - Man U, 2019, 80m
Romelu Lukaku - Man U, 2017, 75m
Virgil van Dijk - Liverpool, 2018, 75m
Jadon Sancho - Man U, 2021, 73m
Kai Havertz - Chelsea, 2020, 72m
Nicolas Pepe - Arsenal, 2019, 72m
Kepa Arrizabalaga - Chelsea, 2018, 71.6m
Rodri - Man City, 2019, 63m
Ruben Dias - Man City, 2020, 61.6m
Riyad Mahrez - Man City, 2018, 60m
Joao Cancelo - Man City, 2019, 60m
Angel Di Maria - Man U, 2014, 59.7m
Alvaro Morata - Chelsea, 2017, 58m
Christian Pulisic - Chelsea, 2019, 58m
Aymeric Laporte - Man City, 2018, 57m
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang - Arsenal, 2018, 56.1m
Alisson - Liverpool, 2018, 56m
Kevin de Bruyne - Man City, 2015, 55m
Tanguy Ndombele - Spurs, 2019, 53.8m
Naby Keita - Liverpool, 2018, 52.8m

Reading through that list, it's surprising how few unqualified successes there are. Obviously there are some real quality buys, like Van Dijk and Ruben Dias and De Bruyne, and a few it's too early to say, but there's an awful lot of flops on there, or players who have only briefly looked really good in between losing form and/or acting like prima donnas.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 2, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It would be interesting to see those sums attributed to their agents

also holy lol Lukaku is there twice!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Unqualified successes are Van dijk and every City player except Grealish, and probably Allison? Worth the money is tough to judge if the club can spend whatever they want, like Mahrez probably wasn't "worth" the fee and de Bruyne and VVD definitely were, but city could buy Mahrez and he's been good so why not

Also that's so much wasted money by chelsea and united lol

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
kepa gotta be the worst on there right

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Dunno Lukaku being on twice and already seemingly pushing to leave Chelsea makes him a good shout

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sourdough posted:

Also that's so much wasted money by chelsea and united lol

I was legit surprised to see pulisic on the list lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I can’t believe they paid so much for Pepe Jesus lol.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Allison is an unqualified success for sure, won them the Champions League and then the League. Remember Karius?

Pulisic wasnt a bad transfer, part of the squad that performed at a top level for 2021. Important goal involvements and when he’s fit he forces himself into Tuchels’s sides following strong substitute performances.

Manchester City’s purchasing strategy has been excellent for a decade now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Reprisal posted:

Allison is an unqualified success for sure, won them the Champions League and then the League. Remember Karius?

Pulisic wasnt a bad transfer, part of the squad that performed at a top level for 2021. Important goal involvements and when he’s fit he forces himself into Tuchels’s sides following strong substitute performances.

Manchester City’s purchasing strategy has been excellent for a decade now.

Yeah it's hard not to trust City's team when the quality of play is what it is, but part of my brain, no matter what, still wants them to buy a striker. I even mentioned it in the MTD today when Arsenal were up 1-0, and I stand by it because I don't think City were winning that without Arsenal imploding with the penalty and red.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

bewbies posted:

kepa gotta be the worst on there right

I'd nominate Di Maria

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Can't decide between Morata and Pepe for worst. Although honestly so many on that list are bad transfers.

I'd be interested in the Arsenal fans opinion on Pepe though, he doesn't seem to play much from what I've seen and 72m is serious money.

From a spurs perspective, Ndombele shows flashes of brilliance, but never on any regular basis and he is on his 3rd manager who clearly doesn't rate him. I also feel like if he hadn't cost £54m he would have been gone already.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

vyelkin posted:

I was legit surprised to see pulisic on the list lol

Why

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I'd be interested in the Arsenal fans opinion on Pepe though, he doesn't seem to play much from what I've seen and 72m is serious money.

Pepe is one of those players that is capable of pulling off something amazing occasionally, but usually wastes a possession and is not very good at tracking back consistently. He'll have patches where he looks motivated and helps in defense, but more often than not will raise his arms and look at the ref if he gets hit by a strong breeze or looks despondent after losing the ball instead of running back to help.

He's one of those players that would probably be great on a team with a midfield that plays possession better, but that's not Arsenal.

The only reason he cost that much was because of the shady poo poo the former middle management guy was doing, Sanlehi or whatever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] god they are too good at that parody. Good goof, but jeez.

blue footed boobie posted:

I can’t believe they paid so much for Pepe Jesus lol.

It’s very interesting that the Kroenkes hire a lawyer to help oversee affairs at the club, and the main architect of the Pepe deal quietly leaves Arsenal within a number of weeks. Hmm.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 2, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I went to look up world record transfers to see if there were any funny outliers there (not particularly, other than marveling at the kind of inflation that makes Neymar worth 40 times more than Maradona) but hoo boy there's some hilarity to be mined in the list of world record manager moves, especially whenever you see a St. George's Cross:

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I initially thought that the English manager transfers seemed sound, Rodgers was really well regarded for those appointments.

Then I got to the Lampard, Pardew and Bruce end of the list and well, lol.

Fond memories of Pardew and his 9 year Newcastle contact

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Big lol when they put up a graphic of manager tenure and at the time Pardew was second only to wenger

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
pretty sure it came out newcastle paid a ton of money to get bruce from sheffield wednesday. like considerably higher up the list than most of those

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mostly that I forgot he cost that much, I always thought he was more of a squad signing

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
but he's the lebron james of soccer.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Can't decide between Morata and Pepe for worst. Although honestly so many on that list are bad transfers.

Pepe is talented and could probably be quite good in the right system. The problem is that he’s completely one dimensional, useless on defense, and will disappear until he pops up with a goal. On a team that could stand to make a player like Pepe a nailed on starter, he’d probably contribute enough goals to make it all worthwhile, but Arsenal don’t have the players to do that or a manager who wants to do that.

And he cost an insane amount of money.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Mostly that I forgot he cost that much, I always thought he was more of a squad signing

He scored in the semifinal of the champions league

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

He scored in the semifinal of the champions league

so did Darron Gibson

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

vyelkin posted:

so did Darron Gibson

In a dead rubber then didn't make the sub bench for the final

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

karmicknight posted:

but he's the lebron james of soccer.

he is akin to a five-tool outfielder in baseball

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Pulisic was good at Dortmund and is good at Chelsea. Hes not world class but thats rare air. He fluffs some chances but hes one of those players who creates opportunities that others dont through his persistence and speed and so if he wastes a couple, oh well, as long as he grinds on and scores or assists with some regularity, which he does more often than Kai Havertz or Timo Werner.

Hes what Pepe should have been for Arsenal.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Reprisal posted:

Pulisic was good at Dortmund and is good at Chelsea. Hes not world class but thats rare air. He fluffs some chances but hes one of those players who creates opportunities that others dont through his persistence and speed and so if he wastes a couple, oh well, as long as he grinds on and scores or assists with some regularity, which he does more often than Kai Havertz or Timo Werner.

Hes what Pepe should have been for Arsenal.

the player that has fewer goals or assists in the same amount of time is the player Pepe should've been. Good stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He’s the lebron James. Of soccer

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Pepe should have been more American. Then he would have been Kevin Durant.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Pepe is a good enough squad player and I'm glad when he's the sub coming on rather than Nketiah or, in the past, Reiss Nelson, but he's not consistently good enough to be a nailed on starter and that transfer fee is insane even given that he was fairly young and prolific

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Fixating on his transfer fee is dumb they're meaningless in 2022. Fred was 50m. So long as Arsenal use Pepe as an impact sub he'll be fine and will retain some value as he's still young. He may even still improve at Arsenal.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Who’s the Muggsy Bogues of soccer? Warwick Davis ever have a youth trial I’ve never heard of?

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Fixating on his transfer fee is dumb they're meaningless in 2022. Fred was 50m. So long as Arsenal use Pepe as an impact sub he'll be fine and will retain some value as he's still young. He may even still improve at Arsenal.

lol 72 million pounds isn’t meaningless even for the vast majority of current premier league clubs

sprotto fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 3, 2022

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Suntoucher posted:

Who’s the Muggsy Bogues of soccer? Warwick Davis ever have a youth trial I’ve never heard of?

lol 72 million pounds isn’t meaningless even for the vast majority of current premier league clubs

It is meaningless for Arsenal and Arsenal fans. If it's not spent on Pepe it goes into Kroenke's pocket somewhere down the line. Who loving cares. Yes it, like other ludicrous fees, are funny to laugh at, but putting any actual weight or expectation on them in this current footballing climate is pure folly. Clubs throw a number out to get a player they want and it has zero bearing on how good or pivotal that player will be. See Grealish, Jack and how completely disposable he's been this season. The only difference is City look nailed on for another title so Pep can bench whomever he likes.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

It is meaningless for Arsenal and Arsenal fans. If it's not spent on Pepe it goes into Kroenke's pocket somewhere down the line. Who loving cares. Yes it, like other ludicrous fees, are funny to laugh at, but putting any actual weight or expectation on them in this current footballing climate is pure folly. Clubs throw a number out to get a player they want and it has zero bearing on how good or pivotal that player will be. See Grealish, Jack and how completely disposable he's been this season. The only difference is City look nailed on for another title so Pep can bench whomever he likes.

Yeah agreed, but it is still funny to laugh at

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Suntoucher posted:

Who’s the Muggsy Bogues of soccer?

Giovinco

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

I care because I think the transfer market is among the many problems with the current state of world football but that’s an entirely different conversation. Obviously you’re totally right I just wish you weren’t and sometimes you’ve gotta post into the void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Meaningless? They could've subsidized the double bacon cheeseburger at the Emirates!