Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Empty stadiums again soon as well I reckon, judging by continental Europe.

Cases are already up 10% over the last week, and the weak piss NPIs the government have just announced are about as much use as a Newcastle back 4. Of course in theory you're supposed to be fully vaccinated to get into grounds now, but I don't think West Ham are an outlier in enforcing this by having a bloke in hiviz shouting "You had your vaccine?" at about 1 in 10 people who pass him after the security line, with literally no followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

Would blowing bubbles be a vector to spread it throughout the entire stadium

Adding that one to the "Things Klopp will use to excuse bottling it at the LS yet again" file.

TheRat posted:

Only if the bubbles burst

Luckily they don't, just like my dreams they fade and die.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

They've also got the game against Burnley, postponed due to weather, to reschedule. Obviously they have to get the Rennes one done *soon* because otherwise it delays the entire rest of the GM Euro Conference or whatever the gently caress it is they're playing in, and the entire Prem is already booked up solid with two games a week until the New Year. I'd also assume, with 10 days isolation, they'll need to postpone their midweek game next week, which means they'll probably have to be doing two games a week for a whole month at some point in the new year even before you factor in possible FA Cup and other games.

Those two international breaks in autumn are looking like a particularly loving brilliant idea right now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

:agreed: Keep the league places as they are, especially relegation zone.

Seconded, but about the top 4.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

4 clean sheets in 5 matches in November, definitely huge defensive problems in the side

What was the fifth match and who was at least partly responsible for 66% of the goals they conceded in that match though?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

My mum's been dead for 5 years and she'd *still* have done a better job at the corner for the third goal. Zouma might at least have tripped over her urn or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sell him to West Ham, watch Moyes turn him into the best centre forward in the world.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/lauriewhitwell/status/1470406393962315785

E: Outbreak confirmed at Brighton as well now. Looking more and more like the Christmas schedule is hosed

Is there a definitive list of which clubs have active cases at the minute?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Crooked man city not postponing tonight's game in the middle of a spike in infections, desperate to sneak a win past a Leeds team that's not even running on fumes because the fumes have run out. Sad!

Leeds players are all safe from infection because Bielsa never lets them stop running long enough for the virus to catch up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TBH I prefer Newcastle's current plan to avoid Premier League rules from next season.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

That would be the absolute worst thing

I mean it's already a Big Sam squad - a bunch of blokes who all run very fast in all directions to no apparent benefit plus one talented midfielder/forward who looks all the better for being surrounded by cloggers.

In fact has anyone seen Bielsa and Allardyce in the same room at the same time? Has anyone checked if that "Spanish" he's supposedly speaking isn't actually just Brummie with some extra vowels added at the end?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

Banging my big drum with 'end the season right now with the league positions as they are' written on it

Gonna assume this was the plan all along and the blatantly bent reffing of the last week has been an attempt to ensure as many Big 6 clubs are in the top 6 as possible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thomas frank is probably right that they should just cancel everything this weekend

It's loving insanity they're even playing the games, let alone letting people into stadiums.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/unluckyfootie/status/1472592524493697029

is this a new covid symptom?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

these days, if you say you like Phil Collins, you get arrested and thrown in jail

Huh, turns out there *are* some circumstances where I Back The Blue.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

:hmmyes:

They have been a thing in rugby for years and it also might cut down on the backtalk that refs get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttDbJxXsjl4

Only if Eric "Shut it" Samuels can be bought back out of retirement.

(context: ITV did a series called The Game about the East London Sunday League Division 4, including trying a couple of things that they wanted to see implemented in coverage of professional football, particularly mic'ed up refs, leading to the refs - particularly Mr. Samuels here, resplendent in a 1970s kit despite it being 1991 - being the real stars of the show. He's actually still alive (and doing two jobs despite being in his 80s now), I'm fairly certain he'd at least be willing to take a turn on VAR and explain his wacky decisions)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1472864433609314315

Lingard can't leave Manchester because the wallet inspector told him he'd be right back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

seems to me he knows he's gone anyway and wants the massive signing on fee instead

I think it's more likely that West Ham have switched priorities and he's now like fourth or fifth priority behind desperately-needed cover in central defence and up front so are unlikely to make a bid and he's realised the only other team seriously interested in him are - riches or not - probably better-than-evens to go down, so he'd rather pick up a couple of substitute appearances at 120k/wk and see what comes up next season. It's just funnier if you take it at face value and he's sitting there going "*This* time I'll get picked!".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

three-a-side, on a loving boat

do it you cowards

I assumed this was a reaction to the second best Nike advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43ItX_bPR1o

but then realised it's 20 years old and felt even sadder and older than normal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

Brazil airport come on

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvTS_bZisQ

I realise this is the second Hackney Marshes reference I've made today and wonder if I should be getting that looked at.

(I can't find the longer version other than in resolution somehow even lower than this, but if anything it's even funnier that somehow Steve Stone gets into the cut down version. God, what a poo poo era for the England team that was, when the actual dictionary definition of "journeyman midfielder" was being hyped as the Next Big Thing and I swear to god if one of you mentions Declan Rice...)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just Chamber posted:

Footballers are thick so I suppose this shouldn't be so shocking but jesus christ

I'm willing to bet in at least some cases it's coaching staff discouraging it both because they're dickheads and also because they don't want to risk a player missing a day or two of training to side effects.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now there's an advanced stat, David Moyes is now third in the table of all-time PL games won as a manager after Ferguson and Wenger, having just overtaken... Harry Redknapp.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the sex ghost posted:

I assume he's a fair ways off the top two but would love to see him just grind on for another decade to prove you don't need trophies to be a winner

Ferguson 528
Wenger 476
Moyes 237

240 games, with the 45.65% win rate he's had at West Ham, means he could celebrate overtaking Wenger in 14 years, then another 3 years to catch up to Fergie. He's only 58 now (yeah I was surprised too) so it's not impossible.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bape Culture posted:

Is there a site that shows worldwide channels broadcasting games? I want to figure out how to watch a 3pm game on New Year’s Day. Can’t believe it’s not on any uk channels tbh

Bank holiday games are Saturday games for the sake of the broadcast agreements IIRC. It's ridiculous that we have this hangover from the days when live games started being broadcast free to air and clubs were terrified nobody would bother to turn up if they could sit at home and listen to Brian Moore's dulcet tones.

Anyway to your question - surely, if you were in the mood to risk making the Baby Jesus cry by stealing copyright material - you already have a preferred streaming provider and can just wait for the kick off and grab it from them?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to look up world record transfers to see if there were any funny outliers there (not particularly, other than marveling at the kind of inflation that makes Neymar worth 40 times more than Maradona) but hoo boy there's some hilarity to be mined in the list of world record manager moves, especially whenever you see a St. George's Cross:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

His fancystats are as good or better as when he was at Villa. He's moving the ball into dangerous areas and beating players, he's just getting a few less primary assists and goals.

Given he was basically the only real attacking threat at Villa that's not really surprising.