Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm in for this, I've been reading the Discworld books in publication order and just got (sort of) caught up on them in time to read this for the holiday season. It'll be my first time through it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh also sometimes the jokes and references in Discworld books can be a touch... uh... esoteric, especially if you're not British, ime. This website has been a big help in explaining references that I just flat out don't get: https://www.lspace.org/books/apf/

It's pretty good about not spoiling stuff from the books. If something isn't explained on that page, it usually means it's explained in the book (often shortly after I stop to check if it's a reference I don't get). That said, not getting a joke here or there has never affected my understanding or enjoyment of the books, and we all know how funny jokes are when someone has to explain them to you. I mostly find that page interesting in that it exist from when Pratchett himself used to post on Usenet, so occasionally weird references or inside jokes have explanations from the man himself.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I am entirely the opposite, I like the Discworld books a lot but the lack of chapters honestly kind of stresses me out. Not drastically, but enough that it took me a couple of books to really get into them. In some of the books I think it's actually contributed to me not being able to easily follow some of the plotlines, too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

Just to the pet where Death is stopping the king from being a prick, and I forgot what a good character Albert is. Do we know anything about him from other books?

Yes, he's a major character in an earlier Death book (Mort). I'm hesitant to say more than that because it would potentially spoil a lot of that book. It's good though, definitely worth reading if you want more background on him.