Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like freebsd its good and has good documentation and searching for an answer doesnt just bring up 10 years of posts on forums of people telling you that its been answered before search it up, and when you finally find the answer its “nvm found it” or a broken geocities link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the BSDs have wonderfully non-poo poo manpages. especially netbsd and openbsd. not sure if there's a driver for something? just check the manpage for the bus it uses, eg. iic(4) or pci(4) and you get a list of all the drivers available for devices on that type of bus.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wish NetBSD had Motorola 88000 support

OpenBSD dropped mvme88k as of 5.6 and because OpenBSD has immature modularity it’s a pain to port forward

each port seems to have its own set of drivers so when I ported mvme88k support from 5.5 to 5.6, I had to look at the other drivers for what mods to make—not in the sense of “this is the change to the driver model that needs to be propagate” but in the sense of “the AMD LANCE driver on mvme68k had this change, so apply the diff to the mvme88k version”

NetBSD is doing the right thing here, I just wish they’d take the next step and produce machine-neutral kernels and leverage a booter+ramdisk model where only the booter and loadable driver modules are different

(though that’s not fully achievable for systems with custom MMUs, like a lot of 68000/010/020 workstations—but even there, only the pmap code has to differ, so all the rest of the code only needs to be built once)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

CUMPUTERS

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

can mods change the title to 5 goons who still use bsd, tia

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

having it installed on a spare computer you use once every 8 months doesn't count

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
actually bsd is actually a whole family of operating systems

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
big slobbery dog

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

macOS is closer to BSD than it is to Linux

can people stop posting this, it’s been a nerd ACTUALLY for like 20 years now

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

eschaton posted:

OpenBSD dropped mvme88k as of 5.6 and because OpenBSD has immature modularity it’s a pain to port forward

What on earth do you want to realistically do on a modern NetBSD that you couldn't do on Motorola SVR4? Or even on an older OpenBSD?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Gentle Autist posted:

can people stop posting this, it’s been a nerd ACTUALLY for like 20 years now

The real nerd actually is to say it's not BSD it's Mach

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
~ pufferfish gang ~

https://twitter.com/RooneyMcNibNug/status/1330552382472785922

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
unix nerds literally want only one thing and its loving disgusting

eschaton posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my phone automatically corrects bsd to bad. makes you think

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Zlodo posted:

I used freebsd as my daily driver for a couple years after giving up on the amiga. eventually i came to my senses and I switched to gentoo

when did you give up on amiga

this is important, it will go on your posting license

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
bsd got zfs
use the bsd for the zfs

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can mods change the title to 5 goons who still use bsd, tia

Make that 6.

I've been using FreeBSD on my home file server for about 12 years now.

I guess I daily drive it in the sense that I use it all the time for backups and sharing files between various computers and phones.

It's easy to set up and update. The documentation is great. ZFS works right out of the box. It is pretty boring over all, but I don't really want excitement with my file server, so it is perfect in that regard.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
does your fileserver have zstd compression enabled? you can change compression format in-place on a running system, it's great

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
this thread is making me want to install netbsd on something

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

cum jabbar posted:

does your fileserver have zstd compression enabled? you can change compression format in-place on a running system, it's great

Some of my file sets have compression, but it is on the default lz4 iirc.

For ones that hold already compressed files like movies and music, I turn compression off.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Some of my file sets have compression, but it is on the default lz4 iirc.

For ones that hold already compressed files like movies and music, I turn compression off.
lz4 features an early-abort that stops trying to compress something if it can't achieve a certain ratio

edit: the same is true for zstd

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 6, 2021

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

You guys are tempting me to actually log in the my file server and do more than just freebsd-update and zpool scrub.

I did log in a bit ago to set up a vm to run a plan9 server for fun. Used bhyve and had it pass through a port on a 4 port intel nic. Even set up an rc script so it will start at boot, or I can just 'service plan9vm start/stop' if I need to.

Took me maybe an hour, with half that being plan 9 specific stuff. FreeBSD having a one-stop location for all the manuals and guides really makes computer janitoring such a breeze compared to everything I have to look up for my Linux machines.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

this thread is making me want to install netbsd on something

join the club

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
get an old SPARCstation and install SunOS and Solaris and OPENSTEP and NetBSD

the canonical Best SPARCstations for this are the 10 and 20 since they supports multiple CPUs and up to 512 MB of RAM

unfortunately prices on 20s are insane right now, there are a couple of relatively inexpensive 10s right now (just be sure to also get an SS10 sound box)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

or you know just install NetBSD in a VM

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what makes people choose netbsd or openbsd instead of freebsd?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
hello fellow bsd users

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

cum jabbar posted:

what makes people choose netbsd or openbsd instead of freebsd?

netbsd has the whole os under one source tree

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
idk what the practical significance of that is

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

cum jabbar posted:

idk what the practical significance of that is

having the source of your operating system arranged in an auspicious manner can maximize your qi

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i run freebsd for my irc machine because i worked for a bsd-based company at the time

it doesnt need to update much so vov

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a canonical list of berkeleys software distribution

freebsd: biggest set of features, most likely to be usable as a desktop daily driver assuming you don't do video games, but largest
openbsd: most secure and unlike lunix sound works out of the box, but older ports go away quickly and the devs have no social skills
netbsd: probably the least "modern" of a standard OS distribution when it comes to the BSDs, if you can think of an architecture, it'll run on it

minor players:
dragonfly bsd: forked off of freebsd 20 years ago because people disagreed on how to implement symmetric multiprocessing and while the dragonfly people ended up being vaguely right it didn't matter and freebsd is still the biggest bsd
ghostbsd: freebsd with mate and a gtk-based UX that doesn't suck out of the box, making it the mint of the bsd world, but it only supports x86-64 so you can't run it on your '030
midnightbsd: forked off of freebsd 15 years ago because someone wanted to see the year of BSD on the desktop before the year of linux on the desktop, but unfortunately also had a hard-on for gnustep

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

eschaton posted:

the canonical Best SPARCstations for this are the 10 and 20 since they supports multiple CPUs and up to 512 MB of RAM

unfortunately prices on 20s are insane right now, there are a couple of relatively inexpensive 10s right now (just be sure to also get an SS10 sound box)

Prices are insane probably for exactly the reason you mention - these are the only machines that will run all four OSes. And if you have money to burn, you can get some reasonably fast dual MBUS modules for the 10 and 20. See http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm Oh, and watch out for the feet on the SS10 sound boxes, they tend to turn to goop.

If you just want a SPARC to run NetBSD, spend $100 to get an Ultra 10 and then pat yourself on the back for running something so slow.

Seriously, why people think running NetBSD on hardware other than x86/x64 is somehow going to be a magical experience is beyond me. The whole reason that I switched to running original OSes is that it isn't. If you just want to find out what NetBSD/OpenBSD/FreeBSD are about, go find a giveaway PC and have fun.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

eschaton posted:

i'm so sad that i passed on a sparcstation that'd been retrofitted with four hypersparc cpus at 200MHz from ross :(

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i run freebsd for my irc machine because i worked for a bsd-based company at the time

it doesnt need to update much so vov
if you're using irssi, it supports capsicum as of quite a while ago

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

strtj posted:

Prices are insane probably for exactly the reason you mention - these are the only machines that will run all four OSes. And if you have money to burn, you can get some reasonably fast dual MBUS modules for the 10 and 20. See http://mbus.sunhelp.org/modules/index.htm Oh, and watch out for the feet on the SS10 sound boxes, they tend to turn to goop.

If you just want a SPARC to run NetBSD, spend $100 to get an Ultra 10 and then pat yourself on the back for running something so slow.

Seriously, why people think running NetBSD on hardware other than x86/x64 is somehow going to be a magical experience is beyond me. The whole reason that I switched to running original OSes is that it isn't. If you just want to find out what NetBSD/OpenBSD/FreeBSD are about, go find a giveaway PC and have fun.

netbsd on arm is nice, and it's not like you can run much anything else except raspbian or pidora

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there are only two contemporary architectures right now. x86-64 and aarch64. everything else is either legacy, not yet mass production, gimmicky, or vintage

risc-v is slowly moving its way up out of "not yet mass production" but no one's making anything modern in anything other than those three. MIPS only still really exists because of legacy cheap network hardware and slightly less legacy cheap network hardware that uses octeon cores (including a bunch of mikrotik, ubiquiti, and lower end juniper gear). everything else is legacy or obsolete. as previously mentioned sparc is basically dead apart from intentionally playing with vintage gear, powerpc is dead apart from obsolete gear, and everything else is listed by netbsd (the "it runs on anything" unix) as an "organic" tier port at best

half the links on the mac68k port pages don't even work and that's arguably one of the most easily-accessible non-x86 vintage computing platforms. it's just not worth putting major volunteer effort into. I'd be amazed if all of the 68k-based platforms get more than five man-hours a month of effort put into them

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

powernv is still moving forward too

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

BobHoward posted:

when did you give up on amiga

this is important, it will go on your posting license

it was after i managed to lose all my data because I made a memory pointer bug that managed to gently caress up the filesystem since Amiga os had zero process or even kernel isolation and everything was sharing the same address space

I did recover some of it with a recovery tool i built myself (I had to since I was using some nonstandard freeware filesystem like PFS or whatever and no good recovery tools existed)

I then decided that this was too much of a clown computer even for me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

how you can have preemptive multitasking without privilege separation is a mystery to me

what i mean is bsd, sunos, and probably others that were on the m68k and were concurrent with amigaos trapped the kernel

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

how you can have preemptive multitasking without privilege separation is a mystery to me

what i mean is bsd, sunos, and probably others that were on the m68k and were concurrent with amigaos trapped the kernel

there was no MMU on the first few amiga models and even though they could probably have done something in hardware to isolate some memory for exclusive usage of the kernel in supervisor mode it probably would have been too expensive

the amiga was a lot cheaper than the unix workstations of the times