Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

What's the Mint or elementary OS of BSD? GhostBSD?

i presume what you mean to ask "what is an absolute garbage way of using these systems?", and on the bsd side it turns out the official distributions have this pretty well covered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

how you can have preemptive multitasking without privilege separation is a mystery to me

what i mean is bsd, sunos, and probably others that were on the m68k and were concurrent with amigaos trapped the kernel

i am sure the bsd thread will get right to the bottom of this mystery of why someone was running a weird old operating system with obvious technical deficiencies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

*taps forum name*

the intended joke was that the bsds are themselves weird old operating systems with obvious technical deficiencies

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

strtj posted:

your argument for why people should run BeOS and/or derivatives is that they have cool icons?!?

i mean, this threads argument for why people should run bsd is (??!?)

i'll certainly take the haiku icons, and the lovely dotted text underlines, over having all the tools to crosscompile some garbage for my garbage computer because it is too slow to do anything useful itself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

why is there always someone who's making this argument as if there's something wrong with trying out different things and maybe finding an appeal to it that's new?

thanks for agreeing with me in my defense of haiku op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

free as in puppy is a very common “don’t use open source stuff” tactic

whereas using open source is supposed to be good in and of itself?

i am genuinely thinking that the structure that caused the most popular logging framework in the world to have few paid and zero security-critically-minded eyeballs is in fact *bad*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nope, but remains a relatively interesting one. interesting architecture philosophy, and managed to throw together a working cow filesystem with a tiny fraction of the apparent effort of the linux efforts.