Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Welcome everybody to UFC fight night FOAL vs NTDO

Anyway:

CommonShore posted:

Font vs Aldo Fight Night Breakdown

:frogsiren: It’s Jose Aldo Fight Night!!! :frogsiren:

Prelims 6 central main card 9 central

Main Card
:siren: Bantamweight Rob Font vs Jose Aldo
Aldowns. He’s on the short list for best fighter ever in the sport. He has been in wars and was dominant for a decade at 145. Anderson Silva, at his peak, said that he would retire if Jose Aldo were a middleweight. He’s an anti-wrestler muay thai striker who rarely shows his bjj but looks like a goddamn wizard whenever he does. He has scored some sweet body shot KOs in his last few fights. His only losses in the last while are to McGregor, Holloway, Moraes (disputed), Volkanovski, and Yan, so like, he’s still beating good dudes. He steamrolled Pedro Munhoz to a decision in his last fight.

Font is from the Boston fight camps that produced Calvin Kattar, who is a reasonable analogue. He’s a tight punch-focused striker who stays active and puts pressure on his opponent. He’s on a 4-fight streak, most recently outclassing Cody Garbrandt over 5 rounds.

Jack Slack observed that Font is the kind of fighter who might be a tough style matchup for Aldo, because Font keeps the fight moving with combos and pressure, and Aldo likes to sit back and do nothing for long stretches. Aldo though is a wizard who has new looks and strategies in every fight, even this far into his career. This is an awesome fight.

:hmmyes: Lightweight Brad Riddell vs Rafael Fiziev
Shall we just take two of the most exciting kickboxers in the division, put them in a mayonnaise jar, and shake it up? Riddell is a city kickboxing Kiwi who is now 4-0 in the UFC. He goes to war. Fiziev is a Kazakhistani-Kyrgyzstani kickboxer who is 4-1 in the UFC. He does cool poo poo. Both of them are extremely technical kickboxers, but both of them are also extremely aggressive kickboxers, which means that this should satisfy both the “Just bleed” and “refined taste” mma viewers.

Lightweight Clay Guida vs Leonardo Santos
Old man fight. Guida is a wrestler who tends to put a lot of forward pressure on dudes, sometimes in the most literal sense by pressuring his face into his opponent’s balls against the fence. Many bouts; some good; many bad. Santos is a TUF Brazil winner who was on a zillion fight winning streak and then he got old and got KOed before he got a chance to shine. He’s 41 now and was 7-0-1 in the UFC with several bonus winning finishes before Grant Dawson KOed him in March. This is why these young prospects need to fight more than once per year on average, because they turn into old men and “what-if” stories. Ah well, still might be good.

Light Heavyweight Jimmy Crute vs Jamahal Hill
Crute is that Aussie kid with the fascist-looking but actually video game tattoo. He’s a big white guy who kimuras people. I think he’s primarily a grappler? He got pretty TKOed by Anthony Smith in April. Jamahal Hill is that guy who got his shoulder wrecked by Paul Craig in that really weird tko stoppage in June. He’s 2-1-1 UFC.

Middleweight Brendan Allen vs Chris Curtis
Allen was coming in as a solid prospect from LFA and DWCS but he ran into Sean Strickland a year ago. He’s 2-0 since then. Chris Curtis is a long veteran of the b-leagues. He was brought in as a late replacement to lose to Phil Hawes but then he scored a sweet KO – that was just this past November, and this is another late replacement.

Welterweight Brian Barbarena vs Darian Weeks
This was supposed to be a Matt Brown fight but he’s a loving covidiot so we get Barbarena – who is a caveman who just brawls dudes and has good fights – vs Weeks, a 5-0 LFA dude. Not much else to say.

Prelims
Middleweight Maki Pitolo vs Dusko Todorovic
Pitolo is a very Hawaiian fighter. His fights are good. Todorovic is a Serbian who is 1-2 UFC, most recently losing to Gregory Robocop in June. He’s alright. This should be a good action fight anyway.

Flyweight Manel Kape vs Zhalgas Zhumagulov
Kape is a JMMA darling who finally realized that he’s a good striker in his 3rd UFC fight and knocked a dude out after suffering two losses due to embarrassing inactivity. Zhumagulov is a Kazakhstani who lost his first two UFC bouts by UD but then won by a gnarly standing guillotine in his last fight. Stylistically he’s a pretty generic central Asian fighter.

Welterweight Jake Matthews vs Jeremiah Wells
Jake “The Celtic Kid” Matthews was supposed to be Robert Whittaker but then Robert Whittaker took that job instead – Australian, formerly hot prospect. He’s a grappler, and he’s decent. He got eyepoked really bad by The Leech. His last fight he got subbed by Sean Brady. Wells is 1-0 UFC, but his 1 is a KO of (by me) highly regarded Warlley Alves This has promise.

Strawweight Cheyanne Buys vs Mallory Martin
Buys is the girl who was there for the scarf hold / follow you home thing – she’s the one who lost. She won her last fight by a decent KO, being a kickboxer and all. She’s listed now as “Cheyanne Vlismas” on Tapology so maybe she got divorced or something idk. Mallory Martin is 1-2, all stoppages.

Light Heavyweight Alonso Menifield vs William Knight
Menifield is a blacksplosive prospect who turned out not to have a gas tank. He has 3 first round stoppages, two losses, and one UD (vs Ed Herman). Knight is a scary looking dude who also came in off of DWCS with a 2-1 record, his last one being a big KO.

Lightweight Claudio Puelles vs Chris Gruetzemacher
Puelles is a 3-1 Peruvian, but I don’t remember his fights or know much about his opponents. He beat Jordan Leavitt in June but ???. Gritz is a TUF veteran who took a decision over Joe Lauzon and Rafa Garcia (seen recently) but has 3 stoppage losses otherwise.

Welterweight Alex Morono vs Mickey Gall
Morono is a powder-lookin’ Texan with a gracie BJJ tattoo but who has taken a few wins by KO, including one of Cerrone. He’s a middling fighter, but fun. I’m not going to look up his record for his recent activity, but it’s probably 2-2 over his last 4. Gall was brought in to embarrass CM Punk and he has stuck around. He has no signature wins, but he has been in the UFC since he was a 2-0 fighter. He’s primarily a grappler.

Bantamweight Louis Smolka vs Vince Morales
Smolka is another middling fighter, a former flyweight, but he does cool poo poo when he wins. He’s a win big – by superkick KO or flipparroonie submission – or lose big type of fighter. Vince Morales is 2-3 UFC with a 2019 decision over Aiemann Zahabi as his only notable point on his record.

Fights should start in about 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah I'm expecting most of the fights tonight to be pretty much the opposite of the previous fight night.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo I feel like I was paying attention but I didn't even see what happened watching it live

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

holy poo poo sick scrambles was not what I was expecting from this fight

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Shocked that made it to the end of the round

it's herb dean it wasn't even close to being finished

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a drat strong start to the card.

This next one will either be a brutal knockout, a crazy slugfest, or a two man gasout.

ok it turned out to be the third one but we had fun along the way

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Cool fight while it lasted

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Media scores for that fight Kape was referring to:

Guess he's not wrong

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Wow what a round

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What does "Overhand, shitter, overhand" mean? Heard from Guida's corner

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

lmfao that was stupid as hell, i loved it

:emptyquote:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh poo poo he's got something planned for the interview

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hollandia posted:

Jfc thought he was proposing to someone lmao

yeah me too hahaha that was weird

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Holy poo poo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hahahaha I don't know if the ESPN broadcast is getting this, but crute walks over and picks hill up, his eye is completely shut, puts him back down smiles and goes "what the gently caress was that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Has any fight on the main card gone to decision?

morono vs gall, but nobody here including gall remembers it happening