Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Problem description: Previous system failed abruptly by failing to even reach BIOS. Bought and assembled a new system and transplanted old M.2 drive into it. New system will reach BIOS, but fails to boot from there. Just restarts to BIOS again. Also can see USB mouse but not USB keyboard when navigating BIOS for some reason with both plugged directly into motherboard.

Gallery of BIOS screen shots here: https://imgur.com/a/D0lEPlD

Attempted fixes: Tried varying BIOS settings and moved memory around.

Recent changes: Entire system other than M.2 hard drive is brand new.

--

Operating system:Win 10, 64 bit, home

System specs:
Motherboard: MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI LGA 1200 Mini-ITX Motherboard
Processor: i7-11700K
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V, 2 x 16GB DDR4 SDRAM 3600, Intel XMP 2.0
Video card: ASUS RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X
Power supply: Corsair SF600
Hard drive (transplanted): Samsung 1tb 860 Evo Sata Iii M.2

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Zogo posted:

I'd disconnect the M.2 drive and try booting an OS from a USB. That would narrow down the issue more.

Also using onboard GPU temporarily would eliminate the GPU as being an issue.

What's a recommended free OS I can get on a thumb drive? Ok with hardware, but I have limited OS knowledge past vanilla windows.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Thanks. I'll try everything above tonight.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Would a cpu still show correct info in BIOS if any of the pins are damaged. When I dropped it into place it made a small noise, but I wasn't applying any pressure so I didn't think I could have damaged it at the time.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Tried to use mother board video with graphics card attached and got nothing. Unmounted cars and it's back to just immediately restarting to BIOS as soon as I exit.

Unbuntu seems to have done it though? Without going to BIOS it immediately booted from the USB. So I guess that means the system is not recognizing my windows install on the M.2?

I guess I'll have to figure out how to bypass the security on my old drive and see if I can rescue the data on it before formatting an reinstalling.

I'll leave the thread open for a little until I get the system actually running again.

Thanks for the help!

E: it actually seems like I have access to the drive contents. I can at least look at stuff.

Is there a way to force windows to recognize the new hardware configuration through Unbuntu?

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Had a couple more days of issues due to using a 5 year old installation usb of win 10, but finailly got pc running. Old M.2 drive does not wat to read when installed in the second drive slot, so it may be the bad component. I'll try installing it in an external housing I have, but the original issue is fixed.

Thanks for the help!