Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect the M.2 drive and try booting an OS from a USB. That would narrow down the issue more.

Also using onboard GPU temporarily would eliminate the GPU as being an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Zydeco- posted:

What's a recommended free OS I can get on a thumb drive? Ok with hardware, but I have limited OS knowledge past vanilla windows.

Ubuntu would work. Some steps to take:
https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

Another thing you could try would be to run memtest from a USB drive:
http://memtest.org/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Zydeco- posted:

Would a cpu still show correct info in BIOS if any of the pins are damaged. When I dropped it into place it made a small noise, but I wasn't applying any pressure so I didn't think I could have damaged it at the time.

If there's a lot of pin damage to a CPU (or motherboard) the computer wouldn't POST at all. But with a few slightly bent pins it might work fine or act glitchy.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-Zydeco- posted:

So I guess that means the system is not recognizing my windows install on the M.2?

Yes, probably not. Lots of times the old install won't work with a new motherboard.

-Zydeco- posted:

Is there a way to force windows to recognize the new hardware configuration through Unbuntu?

I don't believe so.

I'd just copy all your important data to another external drive and then do a full reinstall of W10 or W11 onto the M.2