Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

berryjon posted:

I think that either the Deadly Brain was meant to be something more, or a last minute addition to the level as we will see later in the game.

I assume you're referring to it being an easier version of a later boss?

I remember trying to explain to a high school friend that the Deadly Brain had funny dialogue because he was playing with subtitles off so it looked to him like it just said "Hmm!" "Hmm!" a lot.

The Deadly Brain is oddly enough I think a bit of an exemplar of pre-Halo Bungie's odd approach to boss fights, I think Oni was arguably their first game to really have conventional bosses. I guess I'm thinking of a recurring thing going from Pathways into Darkness to Marathon 1 to Myth where "bosses" that are hyped up beforehand in the story end up being pieces of scenery that are incapable of moving or directly attacking you.

At the time I chalked up the game's fairly dull and repetitive level design to a downside of the much touted involvement of real architects (i.e. realistic buildings don't necessarily make exciting game levels), but Halo 1 suffered from a similar over repetition in the interior areas so maybe it was just an area where Bungie of that era ended up cutting corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as a game developer, bosses are hard! They require an awful lot of custom work, which (being custom) is only relevant for that boss. Unless you re-use the boss later on, that means you're spending an inordinate amount of time on a few minutes' worth of gameplay, in a game that's expected to take many hours to beat. You also have to tread cautiously when making a boss, because it needs to work well with all of the gameplay mechanics that the player has access to. If you do a boss badly, it can become a roadblock for players.
To put some numbers on this, I can generally expect to finish a non-boss mission for my game in 1, maybe 2 weeks. I've yet to do a boss mission in less than 3 weeks, and usually they take a month at least. This may not sound like a lot of time, but it is: put another way, having lots of bosses in my game is delaying its release by months.

Thanks it's all interesting to consider. In the case of early Bungie though, even though the real reason was probably to save time in development I think that the lack of conventional fights sometimes works very well from a narrative perspective. Like in their Myth games where it gives the feeling that the main antagonists are so powerful that your heroes only have a chance to defeat them if they've first been magically immobilized, turned to stone, etc.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It was pretty wild back in the day just seeing only the Spare Griffin version of the ending and then seeing references to "Mutant Muro" (I think seeing the character portrait in the game's assets) and just assuming it was something cut from the game. And I think at the time thinking something like "wow that looks dumb I'm glad they left it out of the game" or something. Then IIRC many years later finding out that it actually was in the game as an alternate final boss fight. Also up until reading the text for this update I thought his official name was Mutant Muro