Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

I don’t really get why people are more squeamish about putting in a CCG loser than a team that doesn’t make the CCG game to begin with. Either winning your conference is mandatory, or it’s not. If not, there’s not really anything special about losing a CCG as opposed to any other regular season game.

People put so much stock in CCG despite the fact that they’re recent inventions that are all about money, and don’t even match up the two best teams in the conference. It’s really obnoxious.

I’m really excited for the playoff to expand and make this dumb weekend matter less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

downout posted:

Well it is a 13th game which only ~10 teams in the power 5 get to play in. It's kind of a big deal when comparing an 11-1 record vs a 12-1 (or even 11-2!) record with a loss in the CCG.

edit: I hear a 12-1 OSU got in over two 11-1 big12 co-champs one year, but I don't know, that's like ancient history.

But like, when you play some Sun Belt FCS team, why should that matter that you’re playing a 13th game? One of them was essentially a scrimmage.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

Look, Georgia’s 12-1 isn’t as good as Notre Dame’s 11-1, for ~reasons~. I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules.

My argument would be that Georgia’s 11-1* is slightly better than Notre Dame’s 11-1.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Fair enough. I just can’t imagine leaving Oregon for Miami. Or Florida state. Even Florida.

FSU and Florida both suck right now though. So now is a pretty good time to take the Miami job.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Miami (in an open relationship with) Manny Diaz

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Got to be honest, as far as corporate stadium names go, that’s probably the coolest.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

It's gonna be rad when a system people think is designed to give Central Boise Cincy Cinderella State a mandated shot at the big one will end up giving us "2026 National Champion 9-3 Auburn"

That’s pretty much exactly what happened when they expanded from the BCS to the playoff. A previously “undeserving” Ohio State jumped TCU and snuck in at #4 via an absolute curb stomping in the B1G Championship and proceeded to run the table.

And ya know what? As a non-Ohio State fan, that team was fun as hell to watch and I’m glad I was able to see them win it. That Bama-OSU semifinal is one of my favorite college football games of the past decade.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

wernox posted:

So is Bob Diaco the next Purdue DC to get another head coaching job?

He didn’t coach ANYWHERE this year, did he? And he wasn’t a very good HC at UCONN so I’m gonna guess no.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

The bowl system was/is run by a bunch of geriatrics too.

Shitcan the playoffs and bring back the bowls. Split titles are fun too. If you have bowl games, half the teams good enough to get in can finish the season with a win and a packet of Kool Aid to drink all offseason.

Do this, but schedule one more true championship game if there’s a split title.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What was Ohio State thinking hiring Kerry Coombs as DC anyways? They could basically have their pick of any young up and coming coordinator and they hired him? Is he a good recruiter or something?

Then again I don’t think their problems on defense this year were necessarily schematic. They just don’t have the athletes they normally do on defense.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Should’ve hired Jon Heacock. Though I could see Marcus Freeman go after him for Notre Dame. Those two coaches together under Darrel Hazel at both Kent State and Purdue.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mayodreams posted:

It blows my mind that anyone associated with the statistically worst period in Purdue football for over 50 years would be considered for high level positions, but here we are.

Heacock was only at Purdue in Hazell’s first year. And he wasn’t DC.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

I really don't think it can overstated how hilarious it is that Texas made sark their head coach.

Sark is the ultimate fail upwards HC. That title used to be held by his former coworker Lane Kiffin but Kiffin has actually been pretty successful recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cycling through the fight songs in the NCAA games was so much fun and it’s the way I discovered my love for the Michigan State and South Carolina fight songs.