Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

The committee will put them in, but I think getting beaten by 17 in the championship game is disqualifying

I don’t really get why people are more squeamish about putting in a CCG loser than a team that doesn’t make the CCG game to begin with. Either winning your conference is mandatory, or it’s not. If not, there’s not really anything special about losing a CCG as opposed to any other regular season game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Look, Georgia’s 12-1 isn’t as good as Notre Dame’s 11-1, for ~reasons~. I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

If Georgia lost by a last second field goal, they have a convincing case. But they lost by 17. They should be loving OUT. Just dissolve conference championships already.

I’d love for the format to only include conference champions, but the format we have is the format we have, and there’s zero case for Georgia not being a top 4 team. Teams are going to get a mulligan for a loss; there’s no reason getting a mulligan for a conference championship game should be harder to swallow than getting one for random October loss.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you want to look objectively both teams only loss is to a playoff contender and ND does have both a better loss and a better SOS

Like I can’t think of a real argument for Georgia other than they have been hyped as the best for so long and have inertia on their side

An 11 point home loss to Cincy doesn’t seem definitively better than a 17 point neutral site loss to Alabama, to me

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Georgia is going to the playoff, and I think they’re going to win it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If Oklahoma State had won yesterday, I’d be hooting and hollering that they belonged in the playoff over Georgia, but as it is I think the field is kind of a no-brainer and anyone mad at it is just looking for a reason to be mad. And I’m saying this as a fan of Baylor!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Saban’s rat poison quote felt very Lynchian somehow

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It would be nice if we got the rematch out of the way in round 1, though I doubt it will happen.

But maybe we will- a Michigan vs SEC championship game would be ratings gold.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 5, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

gently caress you Herbstreit, you don't get to smugly and sarcastically make fun of people who were genuinely concerned Cincy was gonna get hosed

Big "Ted Cruz makes Cancun joke" energy

The people still worried about it at this juncture were wild-eyed doomer freaks, tbh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

I still don't think ND will learn that scheduling a bye week at the end of every season doesn't help their rankings.

I think you might have to get special dispensation to schedule games on championship weekend. It’s not really the last week of the regular season, it’s more like “regular season overtime”.

Edit: well, maybe they don’t need special dispensation, but their only opponent options are other independents. Unless they do something smart-but-probably-unpalatable like leaving a “flex” spot open where they schedule P5 opponent last minute who misses their CCG but could possibly bolster its playoff case with a win over Notre Dame. (Basically copying the last-minute BYU-CCU game from last year.)

Edit 2: actually they can’t do that either because potential opponents would be constrained by the 12-game limit for regular season scheduling.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Hmm, don’t like that at all.

:sickos:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So we now have a clear path to the playoffs for G5 schools

-At least two consecutive undefeated regular seasons
-Three or more Power 5 conference champs finish with 2 or more losses
-Only one power team without a conference title finishes with only one loss
-Coincidentally face and beat that team in a non-conference game scheduled years earlier

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raku posted:

ND isn't a power 5 team

I called them a “power team”, not a “power 5 team”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are they going to fire Diaz, or are they just hoping he’ll take the hint and go home when Cristobal shows up?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

If someone poaches Kyle Whittingham then Lincoln Riley will destroy that conference within one recruiting class

I get the impression that Whittingham is maybe made in the Gary Patterson mold, where he’s a lifer because he’s too much of a pain in the rear end to function anywhere else

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If Diaz is out, maybe he can take the Temple job for real this time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When you’ve got a chance to scoop up a difficult defensive mastermind who’s schematically 5 years past his expiration date and seemingly has a tough time getting along with kids these days, you gotta at least give him a ring.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In this context I don’t think it’s clear he’s even talking specifically about NIL.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Miami is basically another Notre Dame now, where some coaches will always answer the siren song no matter how tough the job becomes or how far in the rear view the glory days get.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Belated kudos to the winning pick set for the 2021 TFF College Pick 'Em, "OG Pimp Daddy 420 Slangin", who finished 158-146 against the spread, and was the only full-season entrant to finish above .500 (!). Unfortunately, I don't know who you are! Please reach out to collect your prize.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 6, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there something wrong with Oregon, or do they just need to stop hiring Florida men with dream jobs close to opening up?

(Watch them hire Fickell and then lose him to Ohio State in a few years)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Considering Norvell was on the list for a lot of jobs, this is odd. Maybe he knew he wasn't a serious candidate most other places?

It’s a curiously lateral move regardless. Was he mad at the admin at Nevada? Did he try to flip CSU’s offer into a raise and they called his bluff?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

Ok that's fair but is Colorado State really the kind of place we can say will be serious about competing in football?

I think they spend money and have an invested fanbase; they just make poor choices.

Chucktesla posted:

Godfrey might not know fully what went down but he knows more than most

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1467883103142223878?t=OAPDjYyitgHPpD56ESWn2w&s=19

That's too bad; on paper, just based on history and demographics, Nevada seems like it should be one of the higher-ceiling programs in the MWC. One that could even get a Pac-12 callup in the next couple of decades if it were to go on a Utah or Boise State-level run.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 6, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sitake is doing good work at BYU, but I think it's a pretty big gamble whether whatever skills that work for him there will translate to a big program like Oregon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's what this year's playoff would look like under the 12-team format proposed over the summer, as I understood it. Thoughts?

While there's fun to be had, I don't think we've lost much of value in terms of the 8 teams left out.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 6, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe the biggest mark against the 12-team field is that anyone who starts in the preseason top 5 is going to have to lose as many as 4 games to play their way out of the playoffs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

This was definitely a good year for anyone that wants to keep the 4 team playoff. There was virtually no debate about who should be in. I'm still not sure why there's a jump from 4 to 12. If you're going to expand, 8 seems like the perfect number. You can get all P5 conference winners, a couple of at-larges, and a G5 conference winner if they're good enough. Like does Pittsburgh, or Michigan State, or Ole Miss really deserve a shot at the national championship?

The central conflict seems to be that if you’re going to give out 6 autobids, the SEC demands a minimum of 6 at-large slots, and seems content to stay at 4 until they get their way. The other conferences seem to be pushing for 6+2 or 6+4. I’d much rather see the 6+2, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The SEC is nearly to a point where if playoff expansion isn’t to its liking, it could just take its ball and go home. Say, “we’re going to take the top four teams in our conference and have our own playoff and national champion every year” and it will be not really be any less legitimate than the other, SEC-less playoff.

I don’t think it’s something that would actually happen, but it’s certainly something you could threaten to do in a heated moment.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 7, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

The way to keep an 8 or 12-team playoff from allowing 4-loss teams in is allow only one at-large bid per conference.

If you’re mandating a runner up from six different conferences, you’re probably much more likely to end up with a 4-loss team included than you are if you just take the six highest remaining teams.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I’m honestly fine with the fluky conference champions getting in. There’s a difference between a team that wins its bad division and then lucks into a CCG win and a talented team that loses its pivotal games but still sneaks in because of poll inertia. The former is fun, the latter sucks.

If autobids cause conferences to restructure how the champion is decided to ensure that they put their best foot forward, that’s fine. If they don’t change anything and we occasionally get a 7-5 Duke in the playoff, that’s also fine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I hope they just keep it at 4 teams tbh, especially if 12 is the only alternative. Keep the tension of the regular season. How many teams have been left out of the field of 4 in the playoff era that would’ve actually had a chance to win the thing?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They’ll pretend to give the Heisman to Kenny Pickett before handing it to Bryce Young

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

If you limit it to one at-large per conference, here is what you get from this year's final CFP rankings:

1 Alabama
2 Michigan
3 Georgia
4 Cincinnati
5 Notre Dame
6 Ohio State
7 Baylor
8 Oklahoma State
9 Utah
10 Pitt
11 Brigham Young
12 Oregon

I don't think that they would end up with this list if they knew going in that this would be 12 teams in because I don't think they gave a poo poo after about 7th. But you could see some interesting things happen here if they had to actually pay attention further down the ranking:

Utah is a 10-3 conference champ, not great, but they're playing really well at the end of the year.

Pitt would be in, but have pretty bad seeding.

Oklahoma State likely would not be in, definitely not Oregon.

BYU is an interesting team at 10-2. Houston is 11-2 with a loss at #4 Cincy. ULL is a 12-1 conference champion.

These are all discussions you can have for the last couple spots if you aren't beholden to three or more teams from the SEC and B1G.

Any playoff format where this year’s Oregon gets in is deeply broken

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also BYU should just go ahead and claim this year’s PAC-12 title

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

Thanks for reading the part of my post where I explain why Oregon would definitely not get in.

Well, you can’t plot out how your format would work irl and say “here’s why the best example of why it’s not palatable doesn’t count.” I mean, you can do that, but it seems against the spirit of the game.

6 autobids plus 6 at larges is too much, but I have a tough time seeing how 6 autobids plus, essentially, 6 more autobids for the second place teams (or a couple of unremarkable G5 teams) is the better alternative. I guess it’s a good system if you’re Notre Dame.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 7, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

The very first sentence after the list says that if they knew they were ranking 12 playoff teams, they would not rank them this way.

That’s fair. In the universe where the 6+6 (no repeats) format is plausible, there may not even be an Oregon.

Giving it some more actual thought, the format has some merit in maintaining some regular season intrigue in the SEC and Big Ten, but as long as we’re talking about committee behavior, I think they’d still give preference to P5 also-rans over more interesting G5s. So they might willfully rank them such that that lovely Oregon gets in over over someone like BYU or Houston or UL-Lafayette.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 7, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why no Will Anderson?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A 12-team format is just too big any way you shake it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

So 12 is the expansion that we either get or don't get from what I can tell.

Okay great, please don’t.

This is a lovely thing to say, and it’s not focused specifically at you, but I struggle to understand what the “big playoff” contingent of fans enjoy about CFB to begin with. I say this as a fan of a team that averages a top 4 finish approximately once every 20 years.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you want a season that culminates with the playoff, watch the NFL. Don’t try to make college football a lesser version of the NFL, just let it be college football. The politics, the inequities, the lack of resolution- those aren’t flaws in the game. Those are the game.