Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Biggest thing tonight is the Packers take 1st place if the Rams beat the Cardinals. If the Cardinals win, the NFC West race becomes exceptionally boring.

NFC:
10-2 Cardinals
10-3 Packers
10-3 Buccaneers
9-4 Cowboys
-------------
8-4 Rams
7-6 49ers
6-7 Football Team
---------------
8. 6-7 Vikings
9. 6-7 Eagles
10. 6-7 Falcons
11. 6-7 Saints
12. 5-8 Panthers
13. 5-8 Seahawks
14. 4-9 Giants
15. 4-9 Bears

AFC:
9-4 Patriots
9-4 Titans
9-4 Chiefs
8-4 Ravens
-----------
8-5 Chargers
7-6 Colts
7-6 Bills
----------
8. 7-6 Browns
9. 7-6 Bengals
10. 7-6 Broncos
11. 6-6-1 Steelers
12. 6-7 Raiders
13. 6-7 Dolphins

Mercifully dead: Lions, Jaguars, Texans, Jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Look at that beautiful NFC

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Look at that beautiful NFC

It's glorious.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thinking about how the Giants can't be eliminated from the playoffs for at least 2 weeks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

Thinking about how the Giants can't be eliminated from the playoffs for at least 2 weeks.

I wonder if there's a scenario where all 4 NFCE teams get in. Probably get 3 in but I doubt all 4.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, 3's easy, but the Eagles schedule is: Football Team, Giants, Football Team, Cowboys.

So I'm pretty sure all 4 can't get in from cannibalizing each other.

E: I'm wrong, look at this beauty

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 13, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
hard to believe that teams like the Falcons or the Eagles actually have a chance to go to the playoffs. I mean these are not good teams, folks

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'll say it again:

I hope the chargers make the playoffs

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Look at this beautiful scenario

In this scenario it is entirely possible, though however unlikely, that 7 of the 8 teams in the divisional round are from just 2 divisions and 1 conference could be entirely from one division.

Edit:

This is even better potentially, though lacking in NFCE comedy, potentially just two divisions in the divisional.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 14, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

woulda thought it would be easier to make that happen by going NFC West rather than East

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

woulda thought it would be easier to make that happen by going NFC West rather than East

West makes it possible to do all 4 teams. I wonder if I can do AFCW NFCW.

Edit:

Yep.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Week 15 playoff implications:

TNF - Chiefs @ Chargers - Why is a game this loving cool on TNF? Chargers take control of the division with a win, as they have a victory over the Chiefs already. Chiefs have terrible tiebreakers for everything, but hey you know what beats tiebreakers? wins.

Saturday
Raiders @ Browns - Raiders have lost 5 of 6 and the Browns have also looked very unimpressive the past month. Raiders... probably aren't making the playoffs even if they win, Browns are the first team out right now and have the Packers next week, so can't afford to drop this.
Patriots @ Colts - Colts were swept by the Titans, and are down 2, so they're fighting for a WC. Got the Cardinals next weekwhile the Patriots are in a 3 way tie for 1st, so huge game for both teams.

Sunday
Titans @ Steelers - Steelers desperately need this, Titans... are probably too banged up probably to get the #1 seed, but want to win 2 to sew up the division.
Packers @ Ravens - Speaking of too banged up. Theoretically a huge game... probably not considering the state of these two teams.
Football Team @ Eagles - Quick, one of these is currently a playoff team, guess which? They're both bad, bad can win the 7th seed in the NFC. Have fun!
---------
Bengals @ Broncos - 9th and 10th seeds in the AFC. Either needs to go on a 3-1 run at least to realistically get into the playoffs. Ps, they both play the Chiefs
Falcons @ 49ers - Falcons are tied for that 7th seed.... yeah. 49ers are a game up in the 6th. Yes this game has playoff implications... somehow.

And 5 games that matter to one team:
Panthers @ Bills
Cowboys @ Giants
Cardinals @ Lions
Jets @ Dolphins
Seahawks @ Rams

gently caress off - Texans @ Jaguars

SNF: Saints @ Buccaneers - Saints are ALSO tied for the last wild card. Buccaneers hoping for the Bye still.
MNF: Vikings @ Bears - Bears are ALSO tied for the last wild card spot. Bears are just waiting around for the execution.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

West makes it possible to do all 4 teams. I wonder if I can do AFCW NFCW.

Edit:

Yep.

hehe that's hilarious. I cannot believe that the Seahawks are not eliminated yet though tbh

regardless, clearly west is best

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kalli posted:

Week 15 playoff implications:

And 5 games that matter to one team:
Seahawks @ Rams

Seahawks are going to win out and take a wild card spot at 9-8, just you wait.

Play posted:

hehe that's hilarious. I cannot believe that the Seahawks are not eliminated yet though tbh

regardless, clearly west is best

The NFC only has ~5 good teams this year. Leaves two spots for my garbage future Super Bowl Champion Seahawks to go for even after starting 3-8!

Nervous fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 14, 2021

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
I’ve done it. I’ve stared into the abyss and achieved madness. There exists a path in which this is possible without any ties or other nonsense like the Lions 1 in a trillion shot required

The Bucs and Cowboys and Patriots and Ravens all miss the playoffs. The Colts are the #1 seed in the AFC. Miami is back in the postseason. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Anything is possible if you believe.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'll say this: I hope the chargers make the playoffs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm more laughing at that 17/18 week argument in the comments lol. Reminds me of that one bodybuilding website where they were trying to figure out how many days were in a week or whatever it was

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I'm more laughing at that 17/18 week argument in the comments lol. Reminds me of that one bodybuilding website where they were trying to figure out how many days were in a week or whatever it was

You don't start counting on a sunday lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One (1) team has secured a playoff spot, the Packers. Congrats to your suck rear end division.

Meanwhile, over in God's conference, the AFC

10-4 Chiefs: Steelers, @Bengals, @Broncos -- 5-4 Conference
9-5 Patriots: Bills, Jaguars, @Dolphins -- 7-2
9-5 Titans: 49ers, Dolphins, @Texans -- 6-4
8-6 Bengals: Ravens, Chiefs, @Browns -- 6-3
-------
8-6 Colts: @Cardinals, Raiders, @Jaguars -- 7-3
8-6 Chargers: @Texans, Broncos, @Raiders -- 5-4
8-6 Bills: @Patriots, Falcons, Jets -- 5-5
---------
8. 8-6 Ravens: @Bengals, Rams, Steelers -- 5-5
9. 7-6-1 Steelers: @Chiefs, Browns, @Ravens -- 5-4
10. 7-7 Raiders: Broncos, @Colts, Chargers -- 5-4
11. 7-7 Dolphins: @Saints, @Titans, Patriots -- 5-5
12. 7-7 Browns: @Packers, @Steelers, Bengals -- 4-6
13. 7-7 Broncos: @Raiders, @Chargers, Chiefs -- 3-6

East:
Patriots - Take division by beating the Bills and winning either remaining game
-1 Bills - Take division by beating the Patriots and Jets and either beating the Falcons or the Patriots losing either game
-2 Dolphins: Win out, Bills beat Patriots, both otherwise lose out.

North:
Bengals
Ravens
-.5 Steelers
-1 Browns

oh my god. They all play each other twice, they all have a nightmarishly hard out of divisional game. This is the Battle of the Somme my friends

South
Titans
-1 Colts

Titans have the tiebreaker, so Colts need to win 2 more games then the Titans out of 3. Colts are HUGE Dolphins fans now.

West
Chiefs
-2 Chargers
-3 Raiders
-3 Broncos

Yeah, Chiefs got this

==================================
Tiebreakers for WC consideration: (Chiefs take the West, + 3 other divisonal winners, then the top 3 of:)

Patriots: + Chargers, Browns, Titans. - Colts
Titans: + Bills, Chiefs, - Patriots, Steelers
-1 Bengals: + Raiders, Steelers, Broncos, - Chargers
-1 Colts: + Dolphins, Bills, Patriots, - Ravens
-1 Chargers: + Browns, Steelers, Bengals, - Ravens, Patriots
-1 Bills: + Chiefs, Dolphins, - Steelers, Titans, Colts
-1 Ravens: + Chiefs, Broncos, Colts, Chargers, - Raiders, Dolphins
-1.5 Steelers: + Bills, Broncos, Titans, - Raiders, Chargers, Bengals
-2 Raiders: + Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, Browns, - Bengals, Chiefs
-2 Dolphins: + Ravens, - Bills, Raiders, Colts
-2 Browns: + Broncos, - Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Patriots
-2 Broncos: + NOBODY, - Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Bengals

Not that anyone thought otherwise, but the Broncos are hosed. Browns and Dolphins have awful tiebreakers. Ravens have a big problem if their slide continues.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Kalli posted:

Meanwhile, over in God's conference, the AFC

10-4 Chiefs: Steelers, @Bengals, @Broncos -- 5-4 Conference
9-5 Patriots: Bills, Jaguars, @Dolphins -- 7-2
9-5 Titans: 49ers, Dolphins, @Texans -- 6-4
8-6 Bengals: Ravens, Chiefs, @Browns -- 6-3
-------
9-5 Raiders: Broncos, @Colts, Chargers -- 6-3
8-6 Colts: @Cardinals, Raiders, @Jaguars -- 7-3
8-6 Bills: @Patriots, Falcons, Jets -- 5-5
---------

8. 8-6 Ravens: @Bengals, Rams, Steelers -- 5-5
9. 8-6 Browns: @Packers, @Steelers, Bengals -- 5-5
10. 7-6-1 Steelers: @Chiefs, Browns, @Ravens -- 5-4
11. 7-7 Dolphins: @Saints, @Titans, Patriots -- 5-5
12. 7-7 Broncos: @Raiders, @Chargers, Chiefs -- 3-6
13. 6-8 Chargers: @Texans, Broncos, @Raiders -- 3-6

Updated to show record versus NFL teams and get rid of the ref scams.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
On paper the Philly or Niners at home scenario seems preferable, but cards at home :shrug:

WEEK 18 SCENARIOS
The Cardinals have clinched a playoff spot and will be playing Wild Card weekend.

The Cards will HOST that Wild Card game as division champs if they win at home on Sunday vs SEA and the Rams lose at home vs SF. Arizona would be the #3 seed and host SF (if TB wins at home vs CAR on Sunday) or the #2 seed and host PHI (if CAR wins that game).

All other week 18 outcomes result in the Cardinals playing as a ROAD wild card team.

-The game will be in Los Angeles if the Seahawks, Niners, Cowboys and Bucs win in week 18.
-It will be in Tampa if the first three teams win but the Bucs lose.

Every other week 18 scenario has Arizona returning to Dallas for the Wild Card round.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The NFC WC round feel weird, because whomever ends up in 4th is going to have a hell of a fight, while... the Buccaneers run D probably gets the Eagles and the other team gets a dead Saints / middling 49ers team, and I mean, uhm I guess an upset could happen but those are going to both be 7+ spread games.

AFC man... every single divisional winner could lose their first game,

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Rushing to the playoffs?
Don't look a yesterday's box score we would never do something so gauche.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't believe the afc north champions could lose their first playoff game

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1478032317486612482

I think the minimum number of snaps in a game is 6:

Snap and hold the ball to the end of the 1st quarter, kneel

Snap and hold to the 2:00

Snap and hold to the half

Repeat.

If this happened it would be the end of regular season ties, the rules would have to change

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Qwijib0 posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1478032317486612482

I think the minimum number of snaps in a game is 6:

Snap and hold the ball to the end of the 1st quarter, kneel

Snap and hold to the 2:00

Snap and hold to the half

Repeat.

If this happened it would be the end of regular season ties, the rules would have to change

The clock doesn’t stop at 2 minutes if the play is going.

Also you could make the 3 kickoffs you need eat the whole quarter and overtime so you need two snaps, 3 kickoffs.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wait a second.... if the entirety of both teams just leave the field while the ball is live, then the play doesn't end. Someone just has to go back on after the quarter ends to do an illegal touching.

They don't even have to stand out there. Just snap the ball, put it down and have everyone walk off

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since microsoft is the sponser, might as as well set up some halo multiplayer on the sidelines while the teams wait for the clock to expire

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My money is if somebody actually tried to intentionally tie a game they'd receive a notice from the league that it would be treated as a forfeit before the 13 minute mark in the first quarter. It's a fun thought though.

Edit: imagine if it works out so that it actually is a tie legitimately after all this talk. The conspiracy theories would be amazing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eifert Posting posted:

My money is if somebody actually tried to intentionally tie a game they'd receive a notice from the league that it would be treated as a forfeit before the 13 minute mark in the first quarter. It's a fun thought though.

Edit: imagine if it works out so that it actually is a tie legitimately after all this talk. The conspiracy theories would be amazing.

can both teams be forced to forfeit the same game? i guess the league can do what it wants

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can both teams be forced to forfeit the same game? i guess the league can do what it wants

They'd have to follow their stated rules or there would be lawsuits is my guess.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If both teams were counted as a forfeit, wouldn't the outcome effectively be the same as a tie and they would both go in anyway?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If both teams were counted as a forfeit, wouldn't the outcome effectively be the same as a tie and they would both go in anyway?

NFL probably says, okay, in that case we call it a palpably unfair act and commish settles it as a 2-0 game decided by a coinflip, which effectively knocks either out.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Most leagues have a general catch-all rule to prevent this kind of thing. For the NFL this would probably cover teams colluding to tie:

quote:

EXTRAORDINARILY UNFAIR ACTS
ARTICLE 1. COMMISSIONER AUTHORITY

The Commissioner has the sole authority to investigate and take appropriate disciplinary and/or corrective measures if any club action, non-participant interference, or calamity occurs in an NFL game which the Commissioner deems so extraordinarily unfair or outside the accepted tactics encountered in professional football that such action has a major effect on the result of the game.

quote:

ARTICLE 3. PENALTIES FOR UNFAIR ACTS

The Commissioner’s powers under this Section 2 include the imposition of monetary fines and draft-choice forfeitures, suspension of persons involved in unfair acts, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred. In the event of rescheduling a game, the Commissioner will be guided by the procedures specified in 17-1-5–11, above. In all cases, the Commissioner will conduct a full investigation, including the opportunity for hearings, use of game video, and any other procedure the Commissioner deems appropriate.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure if both teams were given an L it would dramatically negatively affect their standings.

I'm in the camp where I would argue if it's the regular season in the game ends in regulation with a tie score both teams should just get an L.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm not a numbers guy, was this little dilemma even possible with the 16 game season?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Has anyone in the NFL ever been done for point shaving - because I mean, playing for a draw would technically be the same thing in a way.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

If (as things stand at halftime now) the Jags win and Steelers lose or tie the Raiders get in without a fight, and the SNF game won't matter much. So here's to no more scoring in these games.

e: I suppose it would matter to Los Angeles (and the current/former home of the Colts), but the Raiders wouldn't have to show up.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 9, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Please god let the Chargers and Raiders conspire for a tie

Steelers in the playoffs :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
apparently a "both get in" non-aggression pact happened before in soccer, resulting in a change in how scheduling is done. Usually the NFL is pretty good about flexing things around-- they just didn't count on the Jags.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gij%C3%B3n

quote:

The "Disgrace of Gijón" is the name given to a 1982 FIFA World Cup football match played between West Germany and Austria at the El Molinón stadium in Gijón, Spain, on 25 June 1982. The match was the last game of the first-round Group 2, with Algeria and Chile having played the day before. With the outcome of that match already decided and known, a win by precisely one or two goals for West Germany at the expense of Austria would result in both West Germany and Austria qualifying instead of Algeria, which had defeated West Germany in the first game. The Germans scored the only goal within the first 10 minutes of the match, which progressively deteriorated towards near standstill in the second half.