Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Because I'm trying to get someplace far away, op, and it my time is more important to me than a few dollars in gas

gently caress people speeding in school and work zones though or through neighborhoods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

So acknowledging people do more driving than just commute to work, I don't know that the math works out here.

Assume a 16 mile commute, a posted speed limit of 65, and you are going 10 miles over the speed limit. Assume you can spend 95% of your commute going at 75 ( which I think is generous ) and you commute to work and back, you are estimated to save 3.74 minutes per day commuting to work. Assuming 5 days a week, at 50 weeks a year ( vacation and holidays etc ) you are saving 15.59 hours per work year on your commute. Sounds pretty good right?

Let's assume a wage of $15, which many of us believe should be the minimum wage in America. Your time value savings amount to $233.85 speeding. Looking at ticketing information, approximately 20 percent of drivers get a speeding ticket every year. Average cost of a ticket in the US is $150, the average cost of insurance premium increases due to a ticket is $450, and let's say it takes 10 minutes to get your ticket, and to pay it. If you get a single ticket that year, your time value savings is -$368.66. A single ticket, financially, wipes out whatever time savings you have, and it doesn't look like its worth it to speed, unless you make about $39 dollars an hour, that is when you would break even on a single ticket every year.

So, with a yearly gain of $233.85 which you will get about 80% of the time, and a yearly loss of -$368.66 which you will get about 20% of the time, your expected value gained every year from speeding is about $113.35 in time value. Which, while still positive, doesn't really seem like it is worth it.

Let's say that you are 'actively' driving for 5 minutes each way, in order to speed 10+mph on your driving, as opposed to more passively driving when engaging cruise control and not switch lanes. That 5 minutes of extra effort (compared to people not accelerating/decelerating and switching lanes) is less than your daily savings of 3.15 minutes. Stretching that across the year, that's about 41.67 extra hours of effort, to save 13.128 hours in driving. You are paying yourself $5.61 an hour to speed, compared to those who are more passively driving, and that is not including any additional fees from getting pulled over.

tl;dr - your ev in time saved is about $113.35 a year , and if you expend 5 minutes worth of effort per day to speed, that savings equates to an hourly wage of $5.61 to be your own personal speed racer

What was the opportunity cost of this post I wonder

I'm talking about speeding down I95 or whatever on 5 hour drives, not my 8 minute daily commute fwiw

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

that's probably even worse! You might save like an hour, but going interstate increases your chance of a ticket by several magnitudes!

lol

Maybe but unlikely when there are faster speeders in sports cars and poo poo

I'll risk the ticket. After decades of doing it I've saved plenty of time that it'd still easily be worth it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jestery posted:

Ride a bike

Makes those 250 mile drives I like to speed on take a bit longer

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gotta follow The Rules at all times it is a moral imperative

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sativa dreams posted:

when I come up behind someone going exactly the speed limit or some bullshit like 2 over in the left lane on a 3 lane highway (70mph speed limit), I'll ride their rear end for them to get over. if they don't, I will pass them within a foot of their bumper, cut right in front of them, let off the gas and slowly coast to like 10 under and as soon as I see them start to go around me I stomp on it and dust them (cuz I have a cool and fast car)

now that's really satisfying.

You sound like a complete chode bragging about endangering lives

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Decorum poisoning, oh no consequences for the person who could have avoided the whole situation by a little known secret of keep right except to pass.

No, decorum poisoning would be not calling people bragging about endangering lives unnecessarily out for being disgusting selfish moron assholes.

It's not "decorum" to think endangering innocents for your personal satisfaction is a lovely misanthropic thing to do that makes you an rear end hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

At the end of the day what they posted was that after identifying a person going inappropriately slow in the passing lane they got in front of them and then went inappropriately slow. If you think what they posted was super dangerous, then the person they did it to was also doing something super dangerous.

Yeah......... so now there are two idiots?

Do you actually think that absolves them of guilt in even the slightest way?