Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I'm a sucker for the quiet moments in games, so the literal picnic the game takes you was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It’s such an odd experience. We were on a mission into a dangerous anomaly, but let’s have a picnic with the locals! We got pulled potk! :luca:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm absolutely convinced in the vast majority of cases we're using sledgehammers to crack nuts.
Huh. The original, naturally enough, refers to The Great Seal. Did the translator assume English speaking audiences would miss the reference?

Edit - Actually, this conflates "using microscopes to hammer in nails" and "create Great Seals to crack all the nuts we'd like" into one... sledgehammer?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Was not expecting pork picnic and I hope there are more little slice of life things like that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I was expecting the picnic to be an obvious trap

good too\ see its not

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Same. I was just waiting for the old guy to have drugged the whisky and starting killing people to loot them. I like this little moment :unsmith:

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Was the picnic scene the "reward" for handling the bandits? If so that's brilliant and I hope there's more rewards like that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Not The Wendigo posted:

Was the picnic scene the "reward" for handling the bandits? If so that's brilliant and I hope there's more rewards like that.

Yes. If you don't help out Melville or try to rob him you don't get a picnic invite.

We also can make the pork later in the game too!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like how sensible it is. He's distrusting since he's been stung, so if you help him, he's in a much better mood. I think this is the first game to have just a completely benign friendly thing as a 'reward' for your actions, and it's refreshing. It's utterly unimportant but... who cares.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I've been following along with interest - I thought the game looked a little dull until the picnic scene, which as others have said, was super fresh and made me way more interested in checking the game out for myself!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I bet a sunny side up egg would be pretty good on top of pulled pork but I can't imagine using egg in a barbecue sauce.

I was trying to think of what this reminded me of, and the best I could come up with is "the really good bits in Mass Effect." Not the spots they want you to think are big, like fighting the incomplete human Reaper or whatever, but quiet moments. Talking with Mordin about how you can prevent chafing when you kiss Garrus, or the little 'dates' in the Citadel DLC. People stuff, not Weight Of The Galaxy Stuff.

also i was worried that the old timer was gonna kill himself at the end of the picnic for shock value because there'd be nothing better for him in the future. So I'm glad he didn't!

vv: Sure, but that's not pulled pork anymore, that's some kind of fried pork chop, which is delicious but pretty different. :v:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 14, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I could imagine it being used as batter, for breading, that then goes on a pan, on the barbecue?

Sure, it's a little circuitous, but if you're making a little picnic like this, using just one fire is a convenience.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I hope that this doesn´t veer into spoiler territory and I was thinking about dooing my own playthrough of this game and I was simply wondering if there were any "trap" weapontypes or skills in this game or if anything is viable?

EDIT: I also enjoy the fact that the devs included something simple as a barbecue as a reward for being a decent kind of guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sylphosaurus posted:

I hope that this doesn´t veer into spoiler territory and I was thinking about dooing my own playthrough of this game and I was simply wondering if there were any "trap" weapontypes or skills in this game or if anything is viable?

EDIT: I also enjoy the fact that the devs included something simple as a barbecue as a reward for being a decent kind of guy.

Mechanically speaking, it's very easy to outlevel plot encounters (which are fixed). so you'll probably never hit a wall even without thinking ahead and making the optimal decision, and if somehow you run into problems, you can level up by opening some boxes and return, though I doubt it will ever happen...

All the weapon classes are reasonably usable, none force you into using just one kind of weapon (e.g. with science weapons you have one skill that allows you to use ray guns, OR flamethrowers, OR guns that penetrate objects, OR dart guns that have crowd control utilities. And for each there are usually two or so slightly different variants that can suit different builds due to different AP requirements etc.

All the non-combat slills are useful, every tier of progress usually unlocks some nice feature, and it's not hard to get a lot of skill points... So there's little need to be shy and you probably won't be feeling like you are wasting your skill points at any time. And because any single weapon class should be enough to get you through the game, you can dump all the points into technical and social skills after maxing your preferred combat class.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 14, 2022

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

So…on a scale of one to ten, one being “We’re not that hosed” and ten being “We are ALL THE WAY hosed,” how hosed are we now?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Right now?
I mean, even before we came inside the dome, I would say we stood at a solid 5 because of 80s capitalist hell.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The turrets presumably do not move, with a mirror to spot around corners and some very careful moving and crawling around, it's safe.

So long as it is all turrets and we do not make any mistakes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

HereticMIND posted:

So…on a scale of one to ten, one being “We’re not that hosed” and ten being “We are ALL THE WAY hosed,” how hosed are we now?

You can't leave the dome without dying, so it was all the way from the start

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Inside the Dome the hosed-o-meter is only accurate to five minutes, max.
Right now we're perfectly safe so long as we remain still. Once we move, I'd guess about 7-8 if we're fast.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Taking Far Too Much Crap from Our Employer

Welcome back! Last time on Encased we had a picnic with a cool old man who provided pork and booze, and then we nearly got gunned down by Nashville base's turret guns. Today we're gonna see if we can make some progress despite CRONUS being terrible.

You might get the bright idea that this is an RPG and you can use your turbo high protagonist stats to fight the turrets with your psionic attacks or whatever. Let me tell you: no. They will absolutely dumpster your character with massed machinegun fire. Maybe Clara has some ideas or an EMP gun or something.

: Remind her both of you are alive, so everything will be all right.

: The Blue indignantly throws her hands in the air.

: All right?? No, we're not all right! We were drat near killed!

: Suggest she wait there while you handle the turrets and get help.

: Morgan regards you for several moments. You can't tell if her eyes are filled with horror, awe, or hope, or maybe a mix of all three.

: I'll be praying for you.

: She replies after a lengthy pause.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

: Holy poo poo we almost loving died!

: We didn't die though, so everything's OK.

: Are you loving nuts? We nearly got gunned down! If we run those turrets kill us... what do we do?

: Wait here, I'll go disable the turrets and see if we can get help from the station.

: Wow...

: I'll pray for you!

The correct answer is to go into the sewers right the hell now so we can dodge all of the turrets, and there's a manhole conveniently close to us.

Yea, it's a sewer level. If you know what you're doing you can blaze through it quickly. We're skipping at least part of it because I'm out of healing items and could not find more during exploration.

There's a rat pack near your starting location. What makes these rats interesting is that one of the rats has psychic powers and will happily fry your brain while the rest move to melee. Pass.

Despite having a crowbar in the inventory, the door force animation is us kicking it while holding a crowbar.

I then realize that we can just hit the door with a wrench to save our fatigue bar - which might be important if I remember Nashville correctly - and thus I spend far too much time wacking this door for low damage until it collapses.

There is a box of stuff. This level 2 andromeda would be useful if we were actually serious about energy weapons. Weapons range in level from 1 to 10, and while you can upgrade them it's more useful for non-unique weapons to just hunt for a higher level version in stores and loot. There really aren't a lot of unique weapons either - each of the companions gets one, there's a unique psychic katana you can find later in the game, a prosthetic leg, and the DLC heat laser as far as I know - so burning rare upgrade materials on low level trash is usually a waste of time.

We will, however, be using this.

We can use an auto-hacker package on this computer to see if we can learn anything useful.

: Enter "MAIL" to view the plumbing crew emails.

I'm just gonna go through these in order.

This is an unsubtle hint about an upcoming encounter which is intended to teach the player about energy resistances. Encased is very much like being a D&D blaster mage where you can't actually "win" by hitting common weaknesses like Final Fantasy, but it's possible to lose hard by throwing fire at a fire elemental. Unlike D&D, you can't just stunlock enemies to death instead of burning resources on ineffectual blasting. We, on the other hand, have a wrench that deals mechanical damage. It's fine.

Is this a Matrix reference? Anyway, things are going to crap around here. Just what were they digging up?

We open the safe and wander away.

The safe has a ventilation access key, a flamethrower, some ammunition for the flamethrower, and an upgrade magazine for energy weapons. We will hang onto the latter. NEVER sell upgrade magazines, they are consumed in upgrading weapons and are easily the most difficult component to find.

It's worded weirdly - it's not a manual you read and save, it is somehow magically consumed when the weapon is upgraded. Video games!

With the key we found we have everything we need to enter Nashville, turrets be damned, but we're going to poke around a bit longer to farm XP - er, soak in the atmosphere.

For instance, the generator on the bottom here powers the turrets.

With our Blue Wing access we can disable the generator, turning off all the turrets in the parking lot. Suck it!

Come to think of it, it's really not a good sign CRONUS felt the need to surround the base with automatic guns, is it?

There's also a gunsmithing workbench but we can't do anything useful here. Yet.

Fortified by the memory of tasty pulled pork, Dell takes the long way through this gate.

Gotta confirm the turrets are deactivated!

We find the unfortunate Benito with the keycard for the safe room on him next to our starting location. Boy, do I feel stupid.

Clara is completely useless here so we may as well send her to get help.

: Tell Clara the turrets aren't dangerous anymore. She can leave if she wants, for her mission here is accomplished.

Unfortunately, we cannot drive off into the Dome with Clara and chill out to some music and maybe some candied nuts.

Huh? Either she's talking about personal failings or the nonsense at Nashville is getting to her.

: Ohgodohgodohgod oh-

: The turrets are deactivated. You're good to leave, all your job was was to get me here.

: I- I can't -

: God bless you. I'll try to make it out.

Clara stops hiding and leaves. I can't blame her for this reaction, honestly - she's not a warrior or a hero, she's a mechanic/driver who loves candy and nuts but also seemed to be using that to repress issues related to her friends who died in various hellstorms. As far as the writing goes, it's a very realistic reaction to being exposed to this crap. Lest we forget, poor Benito's body is just behind the truck.

In fact, the place is littered with corpses such as this unfortunate Silver behind the red car. You can scan them for XP, and you should.

He also had some coffee and some self-medication drugs he was using. Score!

Scanning the dead also reveals their name and CRONUS records about them. No one is ever nameless in this game - all of the desert raiders we killed had names, and you can actually talk them into leaving Melville alone.

As a result we level up and grab our first perk. This perk is great and you want to take it early, because most of the skills in the game are actually useful and provide you with abilities or cool passive benefits up to and including ability score bonuses and bonus perks. There are a lot of weird dud perks, but our plan is to stack as many modifiers to melee damage as possible and just yoloslam people with the wrench.

Near the entrance to Nashville - and the two turrets - are a mound of corpses which conveniently have useful items we can steal. Always Be Looting!

The man in the Black Wing uniform is one of the recon team members. Great!

: Ask if she needs medical aid.

: You put the device on the ground and leave.

:biglips:: Aaaah! Bobby, are you there? Ron went nuts, Maria's dead, I'm scared... I need help, and Kingsley had no idea what the hell was happening here!

: Do you need medical assistance?

: Despite your cool hard hat the woman on the other end has no desire to talk to you. There is only silence.

Well it seems like at least one member of the recon team is alright, if a little terrified. I think the radio would have been handy to have, but oh well!

RIP Robert Mayland.

This is what the files you get for scanning people look like.

Robert had a gun and a taser, neither of which we can use effectively but both of which can be sold for sweet, hot company scrip.

The parking lot has gone completely to poo poo.

Also this guard post has no medkits! What gives?

Back to the sewer. This disgusting shitpile is infested with...

Giant cockroaches!

They spit poison at me while I miss a bunch of shots at explosive barrels. Go me!

I eventually get the bright idea to hide around the corner so the roaches have to approach me and get wrenched.

They are surprisingly squishable.

By spamming Desperate Strike Dell wins the DPS race with the cockroaches for our sick loot of absolutely nothing.

We can cook and eat the cockroaches if our food situation becomes really awful. I elect not to do the rat fight because we're on the brink of death.

This ventilation shaft is one way to our destination. There's a note.

Note that being fired, as far as I can tell, means you get to wander the Dome in exile so it's basically a death sentence.

Maybe it's the lady on the radio?

: Examine her more closely.

: You examine the chevron on her jacket sleeve. Apparently, she's one of those responsible for the Nashville site excavation.

We've actually seen this before!

Last update posted:

I didn't go into it too much last update, but this is the stuff Travis Brightman was studying. We have no idea what it is except it's related to the Dome's combat robots, the MOBIOS.

: Ask which level she's going to.

: Grab her shoulder and turn her around.

: The stranger makes no reaction, even as you grab her shoulder and turn her around.

What the hell?

: There's a thud. Something heavy falls down behind your back, making the platform shudder.

An effective moment mitigated by questionable writing. The art is really what sells this.

: [Deftness 5] Tuck yourself up before the fall.

: All you manage to do is wrap your arms around your legs and press your head to your knees, assuming a fetal position.

: Exit the elevator.

: You climb through the sewer and it smells like poo poo, but then you arrive at the top of the shaft and it doesn't. There's an elevator, and a woman in the corner!

: What's she look like?

: Looks like she was on the excavation team. Also, some kind of weird glowing poo poo is under her skin making her hands sparkle.

: She better not be one of them sparkling vampires! Hey lady, which floor you going to?

: She doesn't reply.

: I, uh, turn her around?

: She's fuckin possessed bro! Her eyes are all weird and glowy and she looks totally out of it! Also, corpses start raining onto the elevator platform! The cable breaks because of all the corpses raining down on it, and you plummet into the abyss!

: I tuck and roll with my extreme deftness.

: All you can do is curl into the fetal position, before landing on a pile of corpses! Welcome to Nashville, BITCH!

Monty was not a very smart man.

We're knocked out for a few seconds, and then we get back up.

Oh, yes, we have a status. Something about "Mild Psychic Irradiation"? Whatever, I'm sure it's fine.

This is the most sensible reaction we've had all day.

Next time: Figuring out what the hell happened here!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Oh my god, I'm an idiot.

You literally had a Roadside Picnic update before this one.

Also, Nashville seems to be the center of a Zombie Outbreak. Lovely.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
So many brooms.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I take it that poo poo is starting to meet the fan?

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

:stare: I was not expecting that

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I’ll be honest, the scene that started with encountering that glowy woman was creeping me the gently caress out. That picture of her face, and the atmosphere in general just sucked me right in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Oh hey, it's a spacell we don't have the skills to yoink right now. I'm actually not sure what this does, and we don't have 50 survival needed to get it. Oh well!

It's another anomaly protector, that they were using to keep their car running. Worth some cash or you can hang onto just in case.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In case (hah) anyone is interested in Encased/STALKER/Roadside Picnic: The Anime, Carton Network is airing Made in Abyss during their toonami block tonight. Tonight is Ep 3 btw

vvv I only know whats in the first two episodes. If it gets weird later on, I dont know anything about that

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 30, 2022

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Give the proper warnings for Made in Abyss if you're gonna recommend it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Crows!

Welcome back! Last time on Encased, we went through the sewers to find a way into Nashville station. It turned out that the station was under some kind of psychic attack that turned people into some kind of hosed up possessed zombies, and then we fell into a literal pile of corpses.

Today we're going to do our level best to unfuck this poo poo.

Base is in lockdown. If you click the TV you get a voice-acted clip. It's a nice touch.

We want this. This is the game's power armor, and what the game doesn't explain is that this is secretly upgraded to max level. The only drawback is that we can't use stealth, but we don't need it with this baby.

We have this handy dandy terminal to see what's going on.

It lets us open the door. There was something about a bulletin board, what are the announcements?

Great!

Uh... what?

What the actual gently caress?

Well looks like we're going to be dealing with some well adjusted people here.

I swear if you tell us about voles in your rear end in a top hat...

We of course pick up.

: Ask who's on the line.

:gonk:

: Try and figure out what happened.

We are not getting paid nearly enough for this poo poo.

Fun fact, the main character never receives an actual paycheck throughout the entire game.

:2bong:: Woof! Arf! The broken eye!

: What the gently caress?

We need to hack this terminal to open the door.

Yeah, it's not modeled (although the game isn't shy about modeling blood everywhere) but poo poo! The game is very insistent that something terrible has occurred at Nashville and in my opinion does an excellent job of setting up the atmosphere. Keep exploring!

You have to remember, this game is set in the time before Pornhub. There's a reason I'm showing this off, I swear.

: Bend over and take a closer look at the cover.

: Pick up the magazine and flip through it.

Uh...

: Examine the inside cover.

Dell reads these for the articles. Obviously.

: Check out the centerfold.

: Take a closer look at the spine.

: A dense line of glyphs runs along the spine. Something about them seems familiar. Taking a closer look, you realize some of the writing resembles the Latin alphabet. Suddenly, something legible emerges from the foreign characters: HELPHELPHELP.

: Drop the magazine and move on.

: Hey, cool, a porn magazine! You know, if you've forgotten what women look like.

: Huh. May as well take a look.

: There are naked women... obscured by weird rear end alien writing! It's covered in alien writing! You can't figure out what the hell is going on, but it seems the alien writing is combining with the porn... and as you look at the spine, the letters spell out HELPHELPHELP!

: Yeet!

Always loot flowerpots. If you have a high fortune you can find combonds and even relics.

Black wing poster.

This corpse is found outside the power armor room.

He gives us a shotgun.

: Push the button marked Parking lot.

: The monochromatic footage almost makes the picture seem less sinister.

: The employees' bodies sprawled on the pavement resemble speed bumps. The flames ravaging the overturned vehicles intermittently blind the cameras.

: This level is not as big, and there are fewer cameras installed. You push the button and only four of the six monitors respond. The remaining two go dark.

I sure hope our company health insurance covers the years of therapy we'll need after this.

: Push the Level-2 button.

: There's barely any light on the residential level. You glance over the displays. They all seem to be showing an almost identical picture.

: An employee stops and looks up into the camera with mad, glowing eyes.

: After standing there for a bit, he disappears into the darkness. Soon after, he returns, gazes into the camera again, and leaves.

: Push the Level-3 button.

: The office level isn't deserted. Vague shapes stand beside glowing screens and pace up and down the dim corridors.

: The third monitor displays the computer room. A scientist in a white lab coat is sitting at a desk, gazing into the monitor.

: Every now and then, he turns from the screen and jots something down in his notepad.

: Push the button marked Excavation area.

: The monitors are all distorted with strange, wave-like ripples.

: The static looks very odd.

: The screens foreshadow everything - the parking lot is a corpse field from hell, there's a looter on the second floor, a scientist and a manager are trapped on floor 3, except the thing being excavated. You can't see poo poo, but it's loving up the monitor.

More looting yields a light weapons technical manual. NEVER sell these.

The deceased Anna Breslin is found near the entrance. She has a selectrone so we can get around at least.

There are footsteps coming out of the vent we can't do anything with now but will be useful later.

They do yield useful experience!

The elevator rejects us harder than most of my potential romantic partners.

This inventory list is a clue to what's in the safe. We want what's in the safe.

It's done through this handle console.

This is the first of the game's - to my knowledge - only tri-part relic. All the parts can only be found here, otherwise it's lost forever. It's also quite good, so be sure to grab it!

We go to level 2 to grab some stuff.

We are immediately blinded!

You rear end in a top hat!

: Inform the stranger calmly that you aren't going to harm anyone.

: The flashlight's yellow eye freezes in midair.

: The stranger steps forward. He's wearing worn out orange overalls with patch pockets. His metal badge reads: Tim Ginzburg.

: Reply that you're here to reestablish contact with your group and provide assistance.

: Ginzburg barks out a short, spiteful laugh.

: Provide assistance? Yeah, be my guest. Maybe you could start by putting Maria's guts back in her belly, then knock some sense into all these people. Oh, and Dekker is still freaking out in there, so give her a punch too. To help her recover.

: Except... it won't help for poo poo. Here, take a look.

: The Orange directs his flashlight at the blood-covered floor.

Don't tempt me. If you try to recruit him he just laughs and leaves.

: Inform him that the surface elevator collapsed and he won't be able to escape.

: The Orange's expression begins to grow desperate, but in the next instant anger takes over.

: Lies! I know the elevator is working - Wait! No, you destroyed it so we can't get out of here!

: He tightens his grip on the gun and it wavers drunkenly in his hand.

: No? All right then. I'll go up and see for myself. I'll find the exit on my own if I have to.

: Ginzburg walks past you onto the platform, and hits the button.

: The elevator ascends, leaving you alone in the corridor.

: Surprise, there's a flashlight in your face! He's got a gun too!

: Yo homie I come in peace.

: Hey are you one of them crazies?

: No, I'm here to contact the rescue team and provide assistance.

: Ha ha you can't do poo poo! Maria's loving dead! All these people are insane, and Dekker's still going nuts. Whoop that trick for me! I have no idea who you are, and I don't give a poo poo, I'm leaving, and if you get in my way I'll loving shoot you!

: You know the elevator's busted and there's no escape, right?

: gently caress gently caress gently caress! YOU did this! I'm not going nuts! I'm not going nuts!

Well, crap. They even animated the elevator. Let's go laugh at Ginzburg as he's stuck.

: Suggest that it might be possible to get out through the air shaft.

: Ask where he got the watch and jewelry.

: Ask where the Orange got his gun.

: The barrel of the gun is held to your forehead. It feels cold.

We'd probably be doing everyone a favor if we wrenched this man to death, but we're going to do something even more irresponsible in a minute.

: It's that criminal dude! He's got a bunch of obviously stolen women's bling and has no idea how to get out of here!

: Yo you know a way out?

: Maybe the air shaft? Hell if I know.

: Nope! Full of poison gas!

: Where did you get all the women's jewelry? New wave fashion?

: Hey I can loot as much as I want, all these people are mushbrained! They don't need this crap anymore!

: Where'd you get the gun?

: BITCH I'LL BUST A CAP IN YOUR rear end! Also, stole it from Dekker because she sucks heh heh heh.

Naturally I see our spare guns to the desperate greedy criminal because I need to lose some encumbrance and also dude has medkits. I... maybe could have just killed him, but idk that we need that fight and also we're nominally assigned to work with him. Welp!

When we get to the residential area the turrets are active and they start attacking us. This raises so many questions - did CRONUS know what was going to happen? These are the only turrets inside the facility, and they're on the residential layer. Were they expecting necrophages like the thing in the cafe basement? An orange revolt? General strike? Who knows!

Hilariously the turrets all have voice lines, including "Violator! Stop the attack!" They are fortunately very wrenchable.

Doors are fortunately also wrenchable.

Don't look in the mirrors!

There's something I need from the toilets, but also you get a buff for taking a leak I guess.

All of the people left up here are nuts. This guy is staring into the mirror endlessly.

:stare:

You can give him a medkit but then we have to fight and kill him.

We take out the other turret afterwards.

AHHH!

: Get to know the young woman... in a visual manner.

: Listen closely.

: The White's voice is pleasantly deep. Nevertheless, you can tell she's being capricious, apparently dissatisfied over something.

: It's you who is stupid, Shimon! All boys are stupid, and your cartoons are silly. All you ever do is punch each other. Some things are more important than that! That's what Mom says...

: Her tone become angry, almost enraged.

: I'm not going to America! I'm going to have a family and lots of kids, and the first thing I'll do as their mother is forbid them from watching Captain Hyena! Take that!

: Sit beside her.

: You carefully sit down beside her. You can't hear exactly what she's mumbling, but her voice has a hypnotic effect. You feel sleepy, but now is no time for a nap.

We leave this conversation and go to her compatriot.

: Take a cautious look at the Orange.

Unfortunately I think they're using a generic portrait for him.

: Listen closely to what the man is whispering.

: You have to bend close to the Orange's face, your ear nearly touching his lips. His voice is barely perceptible, but his speech is distinct.

: Look! Melissa, look! Captain Hyena is back at it! He'll defeat that pathetic flayer! I'd bet five cruzeiro on it!

: The man goes quiet for a few seconds and then resumes his whispering.

: Nope, it's not silly at all! It's an American cartoon where good always defeats evil. That's the only way it can be. When I grow up, I'm going to be an American and take us both there. Come on, don't be stupid. To America, of course!

We leave.

: This lady would be kinda intriguing but she's also possessed by weird spooky poo poo! They're watching TV!

: God drat Shimon these stupid rear end cartoons are a waste of time! I'm never going to America and I'm gonna stay here and have a bunch of kids and prevent them from watching cartoons! No, Shimon, don't do that bad thing or I'm telling mommy!

: Hey Melissa look at these superhero cartoons! They're made in America, so I'm gonna take you to America! No, Melissa, don't leave me!

This is great black humor! It's funny, because CRONUS is kind of acknowledging that it's hiding a bunch of crap, but when you think about it those same dark secrets got all these innocent people in Nashville killed or driven insane.

Here's the medical lab!

Anyway, it's time to search the toilet.

This is part 2 of the relic.

To get part 3 we need to huff some Airplane, which is nominally a contraband drug but is anyone really going to give a poo poo about CRONUS regulations at this point?

Sneaking up gets us the third part (although we run into the poison gas our criminal friend mentioned)

We combine all three of the parts to create the Triskele, which I sure hope managed to make itself smell less like poo poo.

It gives us super speed, which is going to be really helpful in our quest to murder a bunch of crazy people in self-defense.

Monty Collingwood is not a smart man, but we have to go to level three to progress the game.

: You hear a chewing sound from somewhere close by.

Aw, gently caress!

The game doesn't start combat, we have some time to look around before everything goes to poo poo. This scientist guy seems to have an idea of what's going on, maybe we should get his help?

First, however, the unfortunate Victor Rozalevsky must be put down by Dell and his fearsome Cossack Wrench.

Score!

The game hangs, causing me to redo the fight while he summons in all the jackasses from this room.

These lines are all voice acted too! They do tend to get old after a while, but on initial exposure it really helps sell the effect that you do not belong here and everything is wrong. Even the environment reflects this - look at all the blood on the "equal rights" poster!

It's not a hard fight with the power armor, but one of these jerks is a psyker. If you're playing a psyker, they drop an upgraded telekinesis glove for you.

There are some hackable terminals about psionics and neurointerfaces.

These jerks start a running fight that rages across the entire floor.

I'm unable to kill this guy before he pulls another pack of a gunner, a psyker, and an energy weapons user.

There's a rough moment where Dell gets immobilized and pummeled at range but I'm eventually able to pull them into the storeroom and beat them to death.

Things are bad!

Loot is good!

Near the pack of possessed weirdos we find poor Maria, a member of the rescue team. So far we've found 1 deserter and 2 deceased. Thanks Kingsley!

This terminal lets us both shut down the turrets on floor 2 and report to Kingsley.

We need to talk to this lady to advance the plot.

: In a dim room saturated with pale lamplight, you see a woman.

: She's sitting on a bench, head in her hands. Indistinct words blurring into sobs reach your ears. You listen closely. The woman is singing.

: Knock gently on the wall, so as not to startle her.

: The woman stops singing and slowly lifts her head. She flinches a little when she sees you.

: Raising her CAERUS's flashlight, she examines you anxiously.

: Her silvery uniform is covered with a spray of mud and blood. Her badge is torn off, and its place a bloody handprint has been swiped across her whole jacket.

: Tell her Ginzburg mentioned a woman named Dekker and ask if that's her.

: The woman fiddles with her hair, trying to smooth it back from her face.

: Dekker-Schulz, Louise Dekker-Schulz, Silver Wing, Magellan Base.

: Ask for an account of the situation from the start.

: She wraps her arms around her slender shoulders.

: You really want to hear what it was like? We arrived before the storm. 9:20 am I believe it was. The connection was already lost by then, and there was something wrong with the people... No, not something. Everything about them was wrong.

: Schulz looks up at the ceiling as she tries to remember.

: Seymour Hobbs, head of security, he greeted us. He reported that communications with Magellan were down and needed to be restored from the command center on the third floor. He gave no details, just said there was a problem.

: The Silver blinks rapidly.

: Hobbs took us to the third floor, then went back upstairs. Maria went to the command center... and these people, they just rushed at us. They... devoured Maria. Bob shot several of them and locked the rest in the hallway. They're... they're very weird. They don't seem to feel pain at all.

In other words, the original rescue team was in way over their heads and probably not briefed on whatever the hell is in the basement either.

Poor Louise has been sitting here in the psychic irradiation for who knows how long and is forgetting things. Great!

: Learn more about the group members' fate.

: Ask how the technician died.

: The Silver's lips tremble, she barely manages to compose herself.

: Ask how the Black went missing.

: Dekker was already thoroughly dejected, but now her face grows even darker.

: It was me who gave the order... sent him to find help.

: Louise motions at the walkie-talkie on the bench.

: He was still able to contact us when he reached the surface. Then it was too noisy, and the connection was lost. He... n-never replied after that.

Earlier in the game posted:

Louise was the woman we tried to talk to on Robert Mayland's walkie-talkie, and Robert we found dead in front of the turrets at the entrance.

We found Hobbs dead earlier in the update, as he triumphantly activated the turrets and security protocols and then died to try to keep this crap in.

: Tell her you found Bob's body at the entrance to Nashville.

: The Silver lets out a silent gasp. She looks as though she's trying to catch her breath.

: N-No... that... that... that...

:(

Of course, none of this is in any way Louise's fault! Bob was the member of the group as a trained military professional who had the highest chance of getting out and getting help. Hobbs basically led the rescue team into a zombie hell ambush, and most importantly CRONUS refused to divulge what the hell was actually going on here so that proper measures like "quarantining the site" or "shutting down the power". Louise is presumably a corporate manager - for fucks sake, Ginzburg stole her gun and she didn't even notice. She's not someone with the training to handle this and is now stuck with major survivor's guilt not due to the errors she made, but because everyone involved conspired to gently caress the rescue team over. The communication outage isn't due to whatever this is, but because someone hosed with that computer we set to allow communications. They were walking into a deathtrap completely unprepared and it's a miracle Louise and the scientist survived at all.

Hell, Dell nearly died coming in when the turrets fired on the truck.

: Ask Schulz about the Orange who fled.

: The administrator's tear-stained face freezes in a grimace of distaste.

: Bastard. I'm glad he's gone.

Like this! Everything with the Orange Wing is self-sabotaging nonsense involving having a bunch of convicted criminals around and treating them like poo poo so the Blues, Whites, and Blacks don't turn on the Silvers. Did you notice that Ginzburg referred to Louise by her last name, despite her being on first-name terms with the rest of the team? It's no wonder that Ginzburg is just abandoning the rescue squad after they treated him like poo poo.

: Find out more about the scientist who's going mad.

: Schulz glances around at the closed door.

: It started as soon as we got here. He saw these people and started... laughing. He kept laughing and saying "Sarovski was right." He'd approach them and touch them. I realized he was off his rocker right away.

: She says in a low voice.

: Ask about this Sarovski the scientist was talking about.

We've been hearing this guy all level and he doesn't sound nuts.

: Ask if you can talk to him.

: A glint of concern appears in Dekker-Schulz's eyes.

: T-Talk? Uh... okay. He's over there, behind that door. You can talk to him when we're done.

: Tell her you'd like to discuss something more important.

: Say that you've learned enough.

: Ask her how you can contact Magellan.

: She sits back down, hands clutched to her temples.

: When they... ate Maria, we locked the door to the command center. Take the key. Restoring the connection is the top priority now.

Oh, gently caress, she's got it too. Let's see what scientist guy has for us.

: Knock on the door.

: You can hear footsteps in the room, quiet but heavy.

Captain Charisma over here isn't helping his case.

: Tell him you aren't Louise.

: Tell him you'll do your best to open the door and leave.

Back to Louise!

: Ask her to unlock the door and release the White.

Unfortunately we are not logical enough, a psychiatrist, or a manager so all we can do is imply vile things about Louise's choice of sexual partners.

: Rudely demand she open the door.

: Schulz shies away from you.

: Are you out of your mind? There's no call to be rude, we're all on tenterhooks as it is.

: The Silver approaches the door and presses her selectrone to the broken panel. A green light flashes.

: The Silver returns to her bench, keeping her eyes on the doors as they slide open.

: The person who emerges from the dark computer room looks nothing like a scientist. His broad shoulders and military bearing resemble those of an elite forces officer. Only the silver badge that says "Ronald Steele, physicist" and the lab uniform suggest he works for White WIng.

: Steele shakes your hand.

: It's nice to see living people for a change. Even you, Louise.

: Dekker-Schulz is watching him intently. She snorts a laugh.

: Did you think you looked normal? You were laughing and chanting. "Sarovski is right! Sarovski is right!"

Of COURSE CRONUS loving knew about this. Of loving course. Is anyone surprised?

: Listen to what Louise has to say.

: Dekker-Schulz shrugs her shoulders feebly.

: So should we reestablish the connection and wait?

Louise is basically broken because she tried her best and it got a bunch of people killed. She's not a fighter, hell Ginzburg stole her gun and noped out. None of this is her fault because, again, the security chief led them all into an ambush and turned on the turrets that killed Bob. gently caress Seymour Hobbs.

: We can't afford to wait, Louise.

: Disgrunted, Ronald interrupts her.

: The White turns from Louise to you.

: Let's stick to the protocol: first of all, you must contact Magellan. Then the main phase of the operation can begin.

: He takes a folded piece of paper out of his pocket.

: I did the calculations. It turns out that the base is in a kind of bubble. The strength of the radiation inside the bubble is uneven, and the nature of the wave propagation suggests that the source is down there, in the excavation zone.

: Ask him how to get to the excavation area.

: Ask what exactly was found during the excavation.

Well poo poo. Steele is the most level headed and prepared guy and he doesn't know.

: Ask if it's dangerous to approach the radiation source directly.

Why the gently caress wasn't this guy expedition leader again?

: Tell them it's settled - you need to go down and find the radiation source.

: Ronald turns to the Silver.

: Go-o-od. Let's go, quick. Louise? Are you ready? I can see you're not feeling well, but you need to pull yourself together.. Um, Louise?

: Grab her shoulder and shake her.

: The Silver lifts her head. Rings of white light are beginning to flicker in her eyes.

: Did you see how many of them flocked to Nashville? Some even managed to make it down here.

: You and Steele exchange looks.

: A grimace of frustration spreads over the White's face.

: poo poo. Let's hurry it up. The relic is down there somewhere.

: You see a terrified woman who is alternating between singing and sobbing.

: Hey, uh, bad time?

: You - you're not nuts! Or from here!

: Yeah, Ginzburg mentioned a woman named "Dekker", that you?

: Yeah, Louise Dekker-Schulz. Expedition leader. I'm guessing you're from the rescue team? Mission failed, our technician got literally eaten by possessed zombies, our guard is gone, the enslaved prison labor escaped, and our scientist is slowly going insane. Any questions?

: Yeah what the actual gently caress?

: Oh you wanna hear this? Fine. We got here bright and early, and the people were all just wrong while communications were down. We were greeted by Seymour Hobbs, head of security, who told us that we had to go to the third floor to fix communications. No details, not even a "hey there are a bunch of insane zombies", just go to the third floor. He took us there and left, and then ZOMBIES ATE MARIA HOLY poo poo! Bob shot a bunch of them and locked the rest in the hallway. They - they don't feel pain! Well, here I am. Ginzburg escaped, Bob went for help, and told us to activate isolation mode and seal the area. No idea where he is, and Ron the scientist is nuts!

: Maria was eaten by zombies?

: *starts bawling*

: What happened to the guard?

: I sent him to get help...it's my fault...we were in touch on the walkie-talkie and he hasn't returned...

: Oh yeah he's loving dead, the turrets got him.

: :cry:

: Hey what's with Ginzburg?

: I hope he burns in HELL - hey, my gun!

: So what's up with this scientist?

: He saw all the possessed people and just started laughing! "Sarovski was right! We knew about this poo poo the whole time but no one bothered to actually make a plan or send aa team of people who could handle it!" Then he started touching them, so I realized he was fuckin nuts and locked him in the computer room.

: Wait, who's Sarovski?

: Who gives a poo poo? He's fuckin nuts!

: Can I talk to the scientist?

: Sure, once we're done, but we need to contact Magellan. Here's the key to the command center. If you'll excuse me, I have a headache.

: Hey scientist guy! What's up?

: Dammit Louise stop this dumb bullshit!

: Uh, I'm not Louise.

: Ok. Look, I'm sane, but I don't have time to prove it, just open the door please.

: Hey Louise you r/FemaleDatingStrategy poster, open the loving door!

: You... you don't have to be such a big meanie about it, jerk!

: It's special forces physicist MOTHERFUCKING RONALD STEELE!!!!

: Good to see real people again.

: You were going nuts! You kept laughing and yelling about that Sarovski dude!

: But he was right! Those glowing haloes in the eyes of the possessed - we've seen it before! If anyone had actually listened to him, we wouldn't be in this situation! Alright. What are we gonna do?

: Louise?

: I guess we call Magellan and wait for help? gently caress. I failed everyone. :(

: Uh excuse me but we're all gonna loving die if we do that. I did a bunch of math and poo poo and there's some radiation coming from the basement. We need to first contact Magellan but than shut that poo poo down. And by we I mean "you, the hardworking RPG protagonist with the wrench". Take the elevator over there to get to the excavation area.

: What the hell is down there?

: Good question! They were putting together a team to study the relic but no one knows what the hell it is.

: Is it dangerous to approach the radiation?

: No more so than staying here. Calm down, man.

: I find myself reassured by RONALD STEELE, DELTA FORCE PHYSICIST. I'll do it!

: Good! Alright, Louise, I know you feel like poo poo but we gotta move. Uh, Louise?

: Head go WHOOOOOOP!

: :stare:

: We better hurry.

Hey, at least we found this relic in a flowerpot.

The command center is full of possessed employees who get killed by wrench. It's time to call Kingsley.

Next time: Of course they knew all along.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 7, 2022

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

59/Narrator.jpg[/img]: You carefully sit down beside her. You can't hear exactly what she's mumbling, but her voice has a hypnotic effect. You feel sleepy, but now is no time for a nap.

I think the image link here is messed up.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

I think the image link here is messed up.

Thanks, fixed!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

We are not getting paid nearly enough for this poo poo.

Fun fact, the main character never receives an actual paycheck throughout the entire game.

Well the gently caress are you gonna do if they stiff you on pay, leave?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the combonds you have in your pocket at the start of the game are your first paycheque.
Evidence: Silvers have way more.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is the sort of stuff terms like SNAFU were coined for.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I started a low int run as a lady and within the first thirty seconds swore off playing the game because of the shark exorcist vibes the writing was giving off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that someone who exorcises demons from sharks, or sharks from people, or an exorcist who is a shark? Because all options sound pretty metal.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
This game is honestly excellent, but holy poo poo is it grim.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Keldulas posted:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Keldulas posted:

There's a reason the thread is titled "no happy ending".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
e: Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Anyhow, the first couple of updates moved me to get this game; currently playing a psionic and having a blast. I guess LPs can sell games.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 17, 2022