Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:madmax:

ZENIT Photosniper

Perfect for when the streets are busy and you can only get to a rooftop vantage point to get some photographs of a visiting politician or dignitary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hahahaha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at that point you might as just well hold your camera up to the scope on an actual rifle

found a refurb deal on a ricoh gr iii, now I have to become a street photography hipster

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ZENIT Photosniper

Perfect for when the streets are busy and you can only get to a rooftop vantage point to get some photographs of a visiting politician or dignitary.

i have a zenit-E somewhere. very much a product of the USSR. it works, and the lenses are optically fine, but everything about the finish and handling is just chunkier and crappier than my old Spotmatics.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ZENIT Photosniper

lol you must have been holding onto this for ages

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Visited the San Diego mission to help with my kid's California mandated 4th grade project.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

Visited the San Diego mission to help with my kid's California mandated 4th grade project.

sick

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
This is tempting avatar material...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my GR is here and image stabilization is good, folks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
took a picture of this bird

shame they were chilling on some skody grass and not something sick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and also had a cool opportunity to do a shoot with this photographer who models for herself. I helped her with the shoot and in return I got to take some shots. she’s a cool chick and I don’t think she expected to look so good

I love doing photoshoots. it ticks so many boxes. tech stuff. other people. makeup. babes. having a laugh. going somewhere interesting. being resourceful. editing photos afterward. likes on instagram

some people like to ride jetskis or play dungeons and dragons but I like to meet people and take photos of them. it’s a good hobby

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

took a picture of this bird

shame they were chilling on some skody grass and not something sick

pukeko! nice shot!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
had been chatting to a professional photographer and he invited me over to show me a few things and god drat, just makes me realise how much more experienced his thinking process is about so many things.

biggest thing I learned about editing is basically how edited a photo can be and still look normal, if you simply don’t know better

as in if I pull the shadows right up it looks gaudy and awful, but he showed me some shots that looked good and he’d pulled the shadows up heaps, but because I didn’t know any better they looked fine. he says sometimes you just have to get up and do something else and then come back and it’ll look normal

I never realised how much I could potentially benefit from doing a course or something, from someone good obviously, but it’s clearer now to me how much further I need to grow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sunrise cow

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Agile Vector posted:

i think that's what film students did in undergrad when they couldn't afford gels

we used them to color the hall lights in the dorms

orrrrrrrr just get yourself the Roscolux Swatchbook for $9.99 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45189-REG/Rosco_950SBLUX0103_Roscolux_Swatchbook.html

(it was free back in the day but eh)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jus a few things

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

so it looks like the polaroid brand exists again under the reins of a small company in the Netherlands that's started manufacturing classic instant camera film again

genuinely making me want to get an SX-70 or a 600 series, preferably one of the SLR ones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d go instax if I wanted instant film but that has filthy pixels involved which might not match your ~*aesthetic*~

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
won an old projector, gonna experiment with different lighting, throw some :rodtronics: in the air

a smoke machine uses a blend of glycerol (20-40%) in water but you can just put the blend in a pot and boil it. in fact could do that on a camping stove and make smoke outdoors

anyway, rainbows shining thru smoke .. everything I always wanted to do with rodtronics in blender I will now do in real life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the theme of todays post is ocean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

did an autumn themed shoot. can’t for the life of me decide if I prefer the one with the shadows lifted (less contrast) or shadows darker

I would love to feel like I could get them to look like film. anyway. I would like to know if there’s some kind of light room course that isn’t about the basics. anyway.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

did an autumn themed shoot. can’t for the life of me decide if I prefer the one with the shadows lifted (less contrast) or shadows darker

I would love to feel like I could get them to look like film. anyway. I would like to know if there’s some kind of light room course that isn’t about the basics. anyway.

I acquired a bunch of VSCO film presets that are pretty cool. the top one reminds me of Portra film a bit… maybe a little less green?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like more contrast but the current trend is no highlights no shadows.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

I acquired a bunch of VSCO film presets that are pretty cool. the top one reminds me of Portra film a bit… maybe a little less green?

hmm, thanks, confirms what I thought

theres so much nuance in the colour to play around with, and I really struggle to decide what looks good, because often when I raise shadows (for example) it looks real fake to me, but I think it's because I *know* it's artificially raised. and I am not sure how to get around this exactly, apart from sort of just accepting it

I think one of the reasons I struggle with it is because raising the shadows ends up looking too much like a phone camera photo. I think this is why I can't use a 35mm, because the photos just look like I've used my phone, and then I feel sad

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 23, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

I like more contrast but the current trend is no highlights no shadows.

straight out of the camera I am actually impressed by how much contrast I have at times in the photos

fortunately I have no idea what I am doing so I get to have a different style in almost every photo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

contrast is good. you can use adjustment brushes and graduated filters to pull highlights up around the face if you don’t want that to be too contrasty. be subtle though

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

straight out of the camera I am actually impressed by how much contrast I have at times in the photos

fortunately I have no idea what I am doing so I get to have a different style in almost every photo

practice your rule of thirds more, imo it helps to make pictures look less “phone” looking to place the “focus point” of a photo off-center…

I dunno… something about forcing myself to adhere to some arbitrary rules makes me feel that breaking those rules becomes more intentional. :shrug:

though I guess rule of thirds hits harder when I crop to 2:3, 3:5, or 16:9 most of the time… the “shape” of film.

(also, I love crushed blacks… but I love deep greens… and flattening the shadows makes green less interesting IMO… love that deep blue-green Ektar25 look… and also the deep orange-reds of Velvia50. reminds me of Sequoia and Yellowstone National Park glossy photo books I had as a child)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrQueasy posted:

practice your rule of thirds more, imo it helps to make pictures look less “phone” looking to place the “focus point” of a photo off-center…

I dunno… something about forcing myself to adhere to some arbitrary rules makes me feel that breaking those rules becomes more intentional. :shrug:

though I guess rule of thirds hits harder when I crop to 2:3, 3:5, or 16:9 most of the time… the “shape” of film.

lol it’s funny your post ended like that because square crop kinda throws that out the window a bit more

I often change the crop over and over until I am happy with the end result. you’ve often mentioned you would crop things differently to me which is interesting, but I have often cropped the way I do on purpose. spose instagram has hosed this up a bit though because smaller pictures (as in, viewed on a phone) also changes things

I love square crop anyway though

often though I find that I’ve ended up putting some things like eyes or mouth on the third lines so have often inadvertently used them anyway

akadajet posted:

contrast is good.

but how much lol? that’s my constant problem, struggling to find that sweet spot

ultimately this is all subjective and at some stage I kinda have to settle on what I like rather than wondering if what I am making will be pleasing to others

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

I love square crop anyway though

I like square crop, too... I just feel like it's harder for me!

Anyway, here's vaguely what I see in my mind's eye...

Apologies for drawing on your picture.

My brain wants the pink line (what I see as the line the subject's body implies) to be closer to the left... probably crossing the 1/3d mark. I think this would also balance the out-of-focus arch on the right hand side by pulling it onto the right 1/3d line.

The yellow lines are what my brain sees as the bench's lines and the cyan lines are what my brain sees as an interesting part of the beginning of the background. I think this is fine, because the bench isnt super strong, so the horizon stays pretty strong and interesting. (But I think it would be even stronger with more room to establish itself)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle:

no don’t apologise for drawing on it, it’s super interesting getting some different insight into how the picture is seen. I’ll might see if I have picture left over to experiment with that crop and placement and see how it feels to me

e:

as far as I can tell this is more like what you had in mind? see it feels unbalanced to me

and just for completeness sake here's the uncrop

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 23, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

as far as I can tell this is more like what you had in mind? see it feels unbalanced to me

until I've given it a minute and now it doesn't.

now I am not sure what I prefer lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lol, I spend a lot of time hemming and hawing over how to crop. I try to favor not cropping as much as possible, but sometimes the framing just doesn't work out like I planned.

here's two recrops...

a 5:7 "standard" crop

a 1:1 recrop where it makes me feel like she looks happier somehow? Maybe it's because she's looking slightly left?

I love how much a photo can change just by reframing it. Please do not take my word as gospel, I'm stuck in the competence ravine of skill based hobbies... Good enough to recognize how much work getting "actually good" is going to take me. (As an ADHD person, I've reached this level of "pretty good!" with lots of hobbies... photography, piano, lockpicking, sudoku, cross-stitch, poetry... who knows where I'll be at the end of the next decade?)

EDIT: But my top one cuts her off at the butt, and I don't like how it looks now. :negative:

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 23, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ahahahaha. and so funny to me you square cropped it the opposite way I was thinking

I often recrop and often with a rule of thirds in mind, and using the small copy of the image in the top left of light room as a second gauge to see how the crop looks because somehow it’s easier for me to get the feel of if I like the crop from the small version. weird.

funny you say that about adhd and lots of hobbies. I’m the same, but never been diagnosed with adhd, but i’ve done a few online quizzes that imply I “definitely” have adhd, and I am gonna try to get a psychiatrist appointment and see if maybe I do. if so it’s not severe, managed to get this far, but it’s damaging in how lack of follow through has held me back

I did this shoot with another photographer, a friend of mine who I generally consider a much better photographer than me, so it’s gonna be interesting to see her shots because it’s the same opportunity. I’m actually pleased tho with how a lot of them came out, but idk if they’re good photos or if it’s just they look good coz the equipment is good, if ya know what I mean?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

if I ask myself, do these convey some kind of feeling, or evoke any response, which they do to me, at least it’s a subtle one about being out in that autumn sun, then yeah I guess I am happy with them. as I write this I can tell what I am lacking is external validation
but as I realise this I have to try to find a way internally to be content with what is and what I’ve done, somehow ignore that hungry validation seeking animal inside me because feeding that beast will only make him hungrier

those are the end result of lots of colour grading and colour temp fiddling and I think I walk content, they could be slightly warmer, but as they are they have a slight sense of being temperate

the trick a professional photographer taught me was to crank the saturation full and then do colour temp because it’s glaring when you’re in the wrong, and basically grade for the skin tones, and also do the same in the calibration window and shift the hue toward more pleasing greens and blue. then bring those saturations down. then in the colour grading i’ve added some red saturation to the blacks and raised that luminosity which has a raised shadows kind of effect. I am very close to being very happy with the results of this, especially that it’s a look I am happy with but also isn’t just looking like everyone else. oh well

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Found a cool article about Lightroom that might be helpful? http://natephotographic.com/the-4-building-blocks-of-style/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross postin’ but these mountains reminded me heaps of national geographic I read when I was younger and tried to edit it so it looked like it and of course it did to me when I edited it yesterday but now today it’s on my phone and it doesn’t but I’m gonna post it anyway

that’s my story

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mountain pictures benefit insanely from low angle light across their faces, the contrast helps give them scale. it’s why all the landscape photographers I watch on youtube are constantly starting their videos at like 3am so they can hike 3 hours to catch dawn

my favorite mountain picture

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm thankyou, I always knew the low light was good but that actually explains why and I suppose helps to plan and think about future plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm a basic bitch, but my favorite mountain picture is

(Ansel Adams, "Monolith, the face of Half Dome)

which was caught at mid-day...

That being said, golden hour shadows are very pretty, and none of us are Ansel Adams.