Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lightroom is pretty good but it certainly suffers from being an adobe product lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i can do an effortpost about rawtherapee later, but if you don't like its ui you can use darktable with it too

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Any UI that isn't the one I've been using for the last 2+ years is going to confuse me. It's the nature of any tool with as many levers and options... like switching from Audacity for audio.

I generally liked some of the things Luminair was doing last time I used it... thought Darktable was _fine_ in a GIMP sort of chunkiness. (If Lightroom CC hadn't fixed so much so fast, I think I would have made the leap in the transition away from Lightroom Classic.)

I just want to know how a Rawtherapee workflow looks from a high level (where the program overall fits) as well as how you approach working with the bundled tools and why.

I lean pretty hard on my presets that I've built, bought and stolen throughout the last 15 years... which makes rebuilding a new process even scarier.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

MrQueasy posted:

Any UI that isn't the one I've been using for the last 2+ years is going to confuse me. It's the nature of any tool with as many levers and options... like switching from Audacity for audio.

I generally liked some of the things Luminair was doing last time I used it... thought Darktable was _fine_ in a GIMP sort of chunkiness. (If Lightroom CC hadn't fixed so much so fast, I think I would have made the leap in the transition away from Lightroom Classic.)

I just want to know how a Rawtherapee workflow looks from a high level (where the program overall fits) as well as how you approach working with the bundled tools and why.

I lean pretty hard on my presets that I've built, bought and stolen throughout the last 15 years... which makes rebuilding a new process even scarier.

i'll do a proper effortpost in a bit, but on this point imo you kind of have to accept that it's like working with any advanced production software: premiere is not vegas, which is not kdenlive, which is not ffmpeg, but you can use all of them do the same thing because the basic concepts are all still there, they're just jumbled up. it's much more useful imo to learn about how and why something works vs just the name of the feature you're already familiar with; that makes it easy to jump from using, say, camera raw to rawtherapee

that said i totally get it, but as you'll see i don't really have a specific workflow, so this might just confuse you more lol

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

we've been having these massive all-night kinda thunderstorms with cool lightning and stuff, and this night it woke me up and i decided to try and see if i can snap a pic of the lightning.

gear: fujifilm x100v

1. attempt - what if i just kinda try and snap it with various sleep-brained settings (i've no idea what i'm doing, so thought process is something like "hm lightning is bright, lets try narrow aperture focus to even it out" etc)

best result:

learned: doing it like thsi is kinda hard without stabilisation, also how do you know when it will ... light???

2. attempt - what if i just shoot a video and pick a good frame from it?

best result: nah kidding, this sucked and i couldn't find a good way to scrub through the giant 4k videos anyways to find the lightning

3. attempt - what if i just use burst mode with a slow shutter, and adjust settings over time?

getting there:

and finally:

at this point the sun started coming up and kinda ruining the mood, so that's the best for today. seems alright :unsmith:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that's s really good idea and would've served me well the other day when i was trying to photograph lightning bugs for my daughter

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hers a cat drinking beer I captured in photography

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

tazjin posted:

we've been having these massive all-night kinda thunderstorms with cool lightning and stuff, and this night it woke me up and i decided to try and see if i can snap a pic of the lightning.

gear: fujifilm x100v

1. attempt - what if i just kinda try and snap it with various sleep-brained settings (i've no idea what i'm doing, so thought process is something like "hm lightning is bright, lets try narrow aperture focus to even it out" etc)

best result:

learned: doing it like thsi is kinda hard without stabilisation, also how do you know when it will ... light???

2. attempt - what if i just shoot a video and pick a good frame from it?

best result: nah kidding, this sucked and i couldn't find a good way to scrub through the giant 4k videos anyways to find the lightning

3. attempt - what if i just use burst mode with a slow shutter, and adjust settings over time?

getting there:

and finally:

at this point the sun started coming up and kinda ruining the mood, so that's the best for today. seems alright :unsmith:

these are fantastic contrast-wise

i swear i'm working on a rawtherapee thing but i've been pretty busy

to do so i made a 24-bit fat stack of 21 exposures :getin:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Took a mountain pic

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

Took a mountain pic

Nice, what mountain? And are you gonna print it? That feels like it would look cool as a custom sized wide print, but I don't know how you'd go about getting that done in a cost effective manner.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Took a mountain pic

beautiful!

e: broke this up into two posts because its not a direct reply

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 12, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's Mount Rainier. I hadn't considered printing it but now i kinda am 🤔

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

YCIAPOS protip: tomorrow at 9:15 PM EDT will be a "buck supermoon"

tips for moonshots

- be patient and ffs use a tripod
- stack your exposures, if possible. use EV bracketing on burst
- you want to use something that's, i'd say, at least 150 mm at probably a minimum of f/4. obviously you know your lenses better than i do, these are just generalizations
- set your EV compensation low, start with -1 and try from there
- for fucks sake use a tripod
- always be shooting, but be smart: if you're bracketing EV, use aperture priority so your focus doesn't get hosed. set your ISO in advance and don't let the camera change it

tl;dr: the only variable here should be shutter speed, and you brought a tripod, right?

e: ok this thing will be legit huge so maybe 50-75 mm will be appropriate. bring a variety of lenses anyway (you should do this regardless imo)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 12, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this was 35mm with a normal moon but

anyway the point is the above should work even if it's cloudy

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 12, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im gonna take a moon pic :wink: (if i remember)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

im gonna take a moon pic :wink: (if i remember)

i'm gonna have to set a reminder myself, but i'll try to bump the thread beforehand

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Dangit... now I need to find my tripod head.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol i just looked up how big it should be (and at my pics from the last one), knock 100 mm off that recommendation — that fucker is gonna be big

50-75 mm should be around the sweet spot but as always bring a variety of lenses!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im a big fan of cell phone photography

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

this isn't the exact example i was looking for but its pretty anyway i think (12 mm) :shobon:

same with this

(25 mm)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 12, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

egh finally. man i really need to organize my library

supermoon (85 mm)

also, this is important: don't forget to turn off autofocus. do it manually before you shoot, and use a remote if you can

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

here's one from my pentax q7 using an adapter for mft lenses (25mm, absolutely no idea what the equivalent is lol)

kinda neat how you can tell the other one was taken in new york and this one in florida, to the southwest

e: fix

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 13, 2022

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Wonderful moons.

Beeftweeter posted:

here's one from my pentax q7 using an adapter for mft lenses (25mm, absolutely no idea what the equivalent is lol)

kinda neat how you can tell the other one was taken in new york and this one in florida, to the southwest

e: fix

Beeftweeter posted:

egh finally. man i really need to organize my library

supermoon (85 mm)

also, this is important: don't forget to turn off autofocus. do it manually before you shoot, and use a remote if you can

never have I enjoyed being mooned more (hashtag, justacethings)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

it is approaching moon time. unfortunately it got quite overcast here in the past ~1.5 hours but it's not raining or anything. still don't wanna go to the roof lol, maybe i'll see whats visible from the window

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i forgot lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lightroom does this funny thing where if you add noise it doesn't show you what it really looks like if you're zoomed out, and exported photos look different to what's on screen, and if you hold shift and drag to zoom in, somewhere around 53-54% (on my display at least) you can see the noise "turn on" and so you need to zoom to at least that % to see what it really looks like

it never used to be like this

its hosed up.. but also true

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw dog

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have such lazy dogs lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I went out for a photoshoot this morning

https://instagram.com/sarahimagazine

I really wanna shoot stuff like that in there but I am kinda clueless as to what it takes

the shoot this morning was good, but there’s always something to learn for next time.

I think what I need to do is a pick a few inspirational photos and really think hard about what makes that photo look like it does.

it’s defo one of the most complex things I’ve ever done, because so much of it is subjective and when you’re working with someone else (a model) you can’t see inside their mind to know what they like or don’t so you just have to trust your own subjectivity and hope it comes to fruition, while keeping in mind that the viewer only ever sees the end result without the context of the shoot, it’s a definite skill to be able to see from that perspective

there’s this chick who is keen for a shoot and tbh I think she’s crazy as gently caress (she openly admits to having borderline personality disorder), but the end results might be very good, but there’s a part of me that’s scared of her lol. but ya gotta take risks else you’ll risk ending up middle of the road and disinteresting to everyone. I suppose doing that is taking a risk? is playing it safe a risk in of itself? poo poo that’s a deep question.

anyway be gay and do crime.. my photography is me poorly roleplaying a gay criminal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i have such lazy dogs lol

tfw legs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

I went out for a photoshoot this morning

https://instagram.com/sarahimagazine

I really wanna shoot stuff like that in there but I am kinda clueless as to what it takes

at the complete minimum? a model willing to do their own hair and makeup plus good lighting or an interesting setting plus a decent eye for composition and a fast lens that can handle shallow depth of field attached to a camera body that can keep up on burst with a low iso because you're using natural light

to do a magazine shoot? combine the above with an extra model on standby, a scouted location on a scheduled time, plus a lighting crew, multiple cameras and lenses, a dedicated hair and makeup team plus wardrobe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
most of those I got

its the subjective things, including experience in knowing what to do, that I lack

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

to do a magazine shoot?

that insta acc is called sarahi magazine but its no magazine. just examples of the poo poo I wish I was doing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

some extremely good pics itt :eyepop:

in like feb 2020 i got a fancy camera again cause street photography suddenly sounded fun (lol timing).

look at that lil lens :3:

i went out once before the pandemic and got a few photos i actually like. they're quite underexposed cause i was playing with exposing for highlights and had the exp comp set too low. probably worth a fix but :effort:

definitely out of my comfort zone taking these, but playing with focusing at a certain distance and snapping away without drawing attention to myself was fun

run through two different image hosts and their own ways to fuckup jpgs for you're pleasure.

i have lots more of mountains and such but those are in the other other pics thread

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 3, 2022

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Nice stuff. I love the idea of street photography, but I feel like a big creep doing it for some reason. Also, I'm absolutely lousy at composing black & white.

Also the only two subjects who seem to notice you are the wee babes. :3:

I like the best because it gives me a good blast of melancholy, and my brain feels like there's a bunch of jumping-off places for stories (though I must say the most powerful street photos I've seen have been clearly capturing some story playing out that I cannot see the beginning or ending of.)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

some extremely good pics itt :eyepop:

in like feb 2020 i got a fancy camera again cause street photography suddenly sounded fun (lol timing).

i went out once before the pandemic and got a few photos i actually like. they're quite underexposed cause i was playing with exposing for highlights and had the exp comp set too low. probably worth a fix but :effort:

definitely out of my comfort zone taking these, but playing with focusing at a certain distance and snapping away without drawing attention to myself was fun

run through two different image hosts and their own ways to fuckup jpgs for you're pleasure.

i have lots more of mountains and such but those are in the other other pics thread

theres some nice feeling here, I like it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the shoot I did last night just rammed home how important the lighting is

it was sunset and was a glorious fuckin day, and drat it just makes the job so easy. it's not a struggle to expose because everything falls nicely in one area, the light is soft and natural.

she's into cars and wanted shots with her car and I tried to capture the sky reflecting on the door but lol the door is dented and was dirty but it still came out nice I reckon. it's a bit noisy as the sun had actually set by then, and I sometimes use artifical noise to cover up digital camera noise (which is ugmo)

my camera can do some high ISOs but it's a trick, because you get back home and they suck lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

psh. pshaw

lol

(nice work, btw, both you and echi — i have one hell of a headache atm so i will do a more detailed critique later)