Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
okay i popped some tylenol lol

(keep in mind there is no particular correct answer here and you certainly don't need to listen to me)

for street photography this is great! i would work on your contrast/gamma/black levels, though; it's more of a personal preference i guess because i cut my teeth on b&w 35mm, but i feel like some detail got either washed out or crushed here. you might want to try playing around with them in color first, then using a specific (red, yellow, blue, orange, green) filter instead of desaturating (i typically mess with the curves for each channel before doing so, just in case — otherwise you might miss something neat)

to be clear here — these are good. they're just noisy as hell

this is a bit more complex: you want something with low iso, not high, unless "grainy" is your objective. it is far easier to add noise later rather than remove it in post, obviously

sundown works for this but you're racing against the clock, so you basically need to pre-plan what you want to shoot, how you're gonna accomplish that and using which settings, cause gotta go fast. in natural light i like to shoot very early instead because you get a ton more leeway: when the sun moves, so can you. lol

i still feel like you'd be better serviced with a shallower, faster lens for portraits instead of using your macro lens (that's not what they're for!! :argh: lol). if you wanna link me to rentals available down thataways i'd be happy to point you towards something, but there's also something to be said for cheap manual lenses

fwiw i almost exclusively use cheap manual lenses, so they're certainly not bad, but mine are mostly from amazon and i'd have no idea where to even look for nz

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
tfw you come across a random rear end submarine :wtc:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also re: b&w exposures

i was just thumbing through ios photos (no, it was not shot with an apple device — panasonic g85) and while it's not a fantastic photo it's still a good representation of contrast

e: also the "grain" is heavy fog, not sensor noise. lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 4, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never seen an rear end submarine before

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I've never seen an rear end submarine before

neither had i until it was just suddenly there when i was walking by the pier lol

then some buff navy dudes shooed me away

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

i still feel like you'd be better serviced with a shallower, faster lens for portraits instead of using your macro lens (that's not what they're for!! :argh: lol). if you wanna link me to rentals available down thataways i'd be happy to point you towards something, but there's also something to be said for cheap manual lenses

lol it’s not a macro lens, a while back I was using a 100mm f/2.8 macro but now it’s a 135mm f/1.8 lens that most people consider an almost exclusively portrait lens lol

and yeah I’ve noised those up myself, especially the smoky one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
here's a thing : I *hate* the way noise reduction looks, looks like jpeg artifacting but worse. a bit of chroma reduction goes a long way but I never touch that luminance slider, and if there is noise I'll put artificial noise over top to kind of override the digital noise because I hate it.

of course I always shoot with the lowest iso I can manage, but I *also* hate camera shake and have no IBIS or other stabe so I shoot at 1/500 because these are the supreme settings that have come to define my "style" ... haha

another thing is.. everyone in christhchurch shoots with a shorter lens than me. I don't want to just do what everyone else does, gotta stand out somehow, and this is true for many things, but follow your heart, and be true to yourself, etc etc, or you'll end up middle of the road and not really appealing to anyone much at all.

a famous quote I invented was "I didn't want to do what everyone else was doing so I did something worse instead"

hopefully this lacks noise enough to satisfy your insatiable hunger ;)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
appreciate the input and nice words tho brother

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol yes thats much better and doesn't look really noise reduced. i try to keep it as low as possible also, it obliterates detail (and sometimes i add grain for spatial res)

however, there's a way to distinguish yourself other than just being "the guy with the long lens" (lol), you just need to find it. if your cam doesn't have any OIS at all, you're probably not gonna want to be using a bazooka lens with it: that shits heavy, and it will inevitably fatigue and make you shaky after a while

you might say i'm telling you to give it a shot :dadjoke:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

appreciate the input and nice words tho brother

no prob man, you know none of this is meant to be dejecting, just trying to help lol

i mean if anyone's got some criticism for me i'd love to hear it too :shobon:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had me at the guy with the long

yeah the road to establishing my style is a long one with many dead ends. I *do* love the long lens look, even back in 09 with my first dslr I would shoot at 200mm on a crop, so I like to think if after a decade of always leaning toward long lenses it’s probably is me, and I find much long lens work compelling

that said, I think a part of it is that long lens stuff is easy to look good. imo those photos I shared look real good, if the intention is to capture the subject

I can’t remember if I shared this:

https://instagram.com/sarahimagazine
it’s just an example of a different style of shooting that really appeals to me too, and I think definitely needs a shorter lens to do it but, I think there are lot of factors. I had a shoot the other day with a different model from the one I posted, and it was a frustrating experience that highlighted a few things, one of them being how hard it is to work with someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing, which also highlights how I don’t know what I’m doing lol, because trying to manufacture a situation that looks candid and real is a real bit challenge, and will
probably take a lot of experience and time, as well as planning.

there’s a few people I’ve been in contact with that wanna have a go at it, i’ll have to use my nifty fifty lol

also give myself a break a bit because that instagram account I shared is a collection of the best shots (in a particular style) from a global pool of millions of photographers and so comparing myself to the best of the best isn’t always a good idea, but it is inspiration

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like to talk about photo lol

I don’t post my pics in the dork room portrait thread because those dudes rip poo poo apart but they do ask questions like “what is the purpose of this photo” which is something worthwhile doing

I find it hard in the moment to stop, pause, think about capturing something more meaningful. what I tend to do is just shoot shoot shoot, capture some nice poses or a nice look..

it’s easy to feel when you’re working with someone else that you don’t want to muck around and have them standing around twiddling their thumbs while you’re thinking about how you might do something good, I suppose that’s where planning comes in lol. or experience. of which I have neither

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
hehe i could tell that was intentional because me and echi love that grain.

i've personally had a really hard time figuring out what my intention is with noise. Basically no setting in lightroom noise reduction/sharpen "feels right to me" and I always shoot at as low ISO as I can at 1/1000 (mostly bird photography)

Maybe I should do the lightroom stuff and then export to PNG and then decide what I want to do about noise in photoshop or something, since it is a pretty resolution-dependent decision

edit: oh also this picture whips rear end!!!

I need to practice appreciating b&w photos more often because i have a leftover kneejerk reaction to them because in the oughts everyone was like "take any pic => desaturate => art!!!"

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 5, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i don't actually use lightroom at all anymore, shits expensive and i have workable alternatives with no real workflow either way

like, i keep trying to do a rawtherapee primer for you guys but i don't know where to start. my most recent import, for example, went like this

copy dcim folder to chromebook -> identify exposure stacks -> hdrmerge -> rawtherapee -> (copy to ipad) pixelmator (lighroom and ps don't support higher than 8-bit on ios, at least) -> healing brush -> save to 16-bit dng -> (copy to chromebook) rawtherapee to verify contrast/color and do grading, repeat as necessary

if i need to upscale or downscale something i usually use ffmpeg, actually, since imo you can't do much better than libswrescale and libavfilter there

e: that applies to filtering/sharpening too, unless its something that needs imagemagick or some poo poo

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 4, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i appreciate critiques of my stuff but i'm not too likely to critique someone else's because we all value different things in photos and i'm not very good at this anyway :shrug:

here's my workflow: import pics into an old pirated version of lightroom, pick through some that seem worth keeping, decide it's too much effort/get depressed and close lightroom. felt cute, might edit later

sometimes it's the random unedited phone snapshots you love

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i appreciate critiques of my stuff but i'm not too likely to critique someone else's because we all value different things in photos and i'm not very good at this anyway :shrug:

here's my workflow: import pics into an old pirated version of lightroom, pick through some that seem worth keeping, decide it's too much effort/get depressed and close lightroom. felt cute, might edit later

sometimes it's the random unedited phone snapshots you love

💯

no notes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: the perfect backpacking lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's not a pancake lens, it's a crepe lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

:eyepop: the perfect backpacking lens

i have olympus' regular and fisheye versions for MFT also, but they're not as teensy as the q7

i mean look at that lil' thing lol. it takes pretty good pics too,

that's straight from the ios photos app import without doing anything to it. yes i realize its fringed to poo poo but this is a $20 plastic lens cap

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people add chromatic abberation in post now, you're just cutting out the middleman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

qirex posted:

people add chromatic abberation in post now, you're just cutting out the middleman

drat kids these days what with their fake fringing and the color filters :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

also give myself a break a bit because that instagram account I shared is a collection of the best shots (in a particular style) from a global pool of millions of photographers and so comparing myself to the best of the best isn’t always a good idea, but it is inspiration

btw i'm part of a (far smaller, think about 50k, but also global) collective like this and yeah it definitely can be pretty brutal at times but they're mostly supportive. don't let it get to you

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

went fir a hike :dadjoke:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this is beautiful

i hope you don't mind but i used it as an example to literally illustrate my earlier point:

it's a blue-channel filtered b&w version. looks totally different right? :v:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

this is beautiful

i hope you don't mind but i used it as an example to literally illustrate my earlier point:

it's a blue-channel filtered b&w version. looks totally different right? :v:

thanks - and yeah i get that. the street photos definitely need some editing but they were all underexposed to start with and street photog was a curiosity from 3 years ago so i don't really want to put effort into them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

good poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i was here yesterday and now im not something has gone desperately wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you came home you idiot!

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
You absolute dunderhead!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I went for a hike too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I went for a hike too

looks a bit processed imo

just curious btw — why do you always crop to super panavision?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i just take my phone out and click picture. the resolution is whatever "full" is

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

i just take my phone out and click picture. the resolution is whatever "full" is

lol literally the only camera i know of that natively uses 2.2... is a 70mm monstrosity kubrick used to shoot 2001. i have also seen a print of 2001 in 70mm, however, so i can't complain

i wonder if your phone has other aspect ratio settings? that being native aspect seems weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

just curious btw — why do you always crop to super panavision?

I sometimes do this, make my photos more cinematic :smugmrgw:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ya it's got a bunch of them I use the others sometimes

I like the 3:4 108 megapixel one for landscapes but the pics are megabig

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've seen the 70mm 2001 as well and it's real good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

ya it's got a bunch of them I use the others sometimes

I like the 3:4 108 megapixel one for landscapes but the pics are megabig

lol that means the native aspect for that sensor is 4:3 (megapixel count is probably interpolated)

PokeJoe posted:

I've seen the 70mm 2001 as well and it's real good

yeah, still haven't seen a digital encode match that in a theater

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't bother saving the raw files bc I never edit my pics or do anything w them really besides put the ones I like on a digital photo frame slideshow :shrug:

i don't know poo poo about photo editing at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

and sometimes I take pics for painting references or something