Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
balls of steeeeeeelllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
blow it out your rear end.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah the only reason i use amazon photos is because we already get it with our prime subscription. it’s just a cold storage backup for me anyway.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also their ai search ain’t too bad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Until it doesn't suit them anymore.

this is definitely something i keep my eye on. they’re actually killing off amazon drive very soon, but amazon photos is sticking around (for now).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i did some senior pictures and also some political campaign portraits a few years back that turned out well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sure are a lot of descriptions of pictures itt

picture this: kiss my b*tt!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ooooohh, bitchy!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s amazing how trends come and go like this. maybe the stuff i want will be cheap again someday (lol)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

before i got my rx-1005a i used one of these. a different league than the p&s stuff from the oughts but definitely still outdated by today’s standards. even though high iso performance was pretty rough it was a really nice camera. great build quality and good ergonomics.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i loving love good compact cameras.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

accidentally sent some HP5+ through the checked luggage scanners at heathrow. poo poo was definitely affected but not completely ruined (except for the picture itself lol). had to zap the gently caress out of the image with dehaze though--with limited success--and the blacks have indeed suffered. :sweatdrop:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice, man

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah is that 9/11?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

1) open image full screen on computer
2) take picture of screen with cell phone with flash ON

boom, sunny day in your pocket.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

last night i spent some time reading ken rockwell's site. here are my thoughts, more or less in order

* who is this guy
* oh ok he's a professional photographer
* this is all way oversaturated, i don't like it
* compose in-camera, that makes some sense, this might help me
* ok yeah i've probably been caring too much about gear and need to focus on the fundamentals, especially now that i have the gear to do all the things i want
* oh this is a really nice picture, i guess the oversaturated works sometimes
* another nice one, ok, i'm starting to get it
* jesus the colors on this make my eyes hurt
* yeah composition is important, i really need to up my game here. these are great tips
* ok this writing guy's style is kind of annoying, but he seems to know a lot about photography
* the remarks on conveying a simple idea clearly are spot-on and were what i needed to read (not that, you know, they aren't all over yciapos etc...)
* lmao this review is gross, it feels like leica's marketing department paid per word
* wait this review directly contradicts homeboy's advice, this _is_ super gross, i'm out, gently caress this

so my take-aways are:

1. Get the broad strokes of composition right - perhaps with unfocused eyes - first
2. Do the subtractive thing and frame the shot to only have the stuff you want in it
3. You should end up with a clear and simple presentation of an idea
4. Now you can get the details right to make it a really special, surprising, good photograph
5. It's ok to use photography to show things as you imagine them, or as you want them to be instead of exactly as they are.
Corollary: don't go crazy with the saturation or it looks really bad
6. I should pretend I'm shooting a film camera, and take fewer good pictures - perhaps fiddling with camera settings - rather than taking a lot of similar photos

A lot of what I struggle with is that I mostly in terms of snapshots - I did _this_ with my son, I hiked _that_ trail, I saw _this_ animal. All the stuff above really amounts to "try hard to take a good photograph ya dingus." And honestly I think that's what I should do. There's a difference between taking good snapshots and taking thoughtful photographs. I take good snapshots, I think. Anyone can. You just take pics where you mostly get focus, exposure, etc. right, follow some basic composition guidelines, and you'll do pretty well. But to really improve, I'm gonna need to really try to _take good photos_ where maybe I don't care about documenting the subject for the family photobook so much and focus on conveying a particular idea, concept, etc. other than that which is obviously the subject.

so i think that if i want to get better, i can't keep doing "check out this cool __________" as the primary driver of my photography. so the thing i quote above, i gotta do better than

to that end, do any of you know any good photography textbooks? i want to know about different photographers' styles and what makes them good (please dear lord with reprints of the photos so I can see them!) and also i want shooting exercises to help me practice. i also just got a massive pay cut so the jones family hobby budget is drastically reduced, so something that you used in your high school or college photography class a decade or two ago that is availabe for $6 used on amazon would be perfect

i like to think of him as “k-rock, the panchromatic shock, rockwell”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

also mods namechange please to “Al Rokkor” tia

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

this is the exact face of a twitter bio that says “Christian|Husband|Father|Photographer”

off to capture some correctly exposed pictures harnessing the power of the sun

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shitposter|chronically confused|dilettante|father

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

been working in my editing skills. what do you all think?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

loling

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the native americans used every part of the camera

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

It would be so horrendously complex that it would cost more than a digital camera and a film camera seperately. Also, you can just take a photo with your phone with one of the many apps that crops you equivalent focal length and apply a filter today.

yeah but this way i get a bad digital image plus the film to later gently caress up in different ways.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah but they have poor knobfeel

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have a canon 35mm SLR with this stupid rear end eye tracking autofocus setup. i mean it’s neat and all but the dam thing only has like seven af points and they’re all along the x axis.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

akadajet posted:

I've always been curious about how accurate these are.

the eye track thing? the functionality seems legit. you calibrate it to your eye and it responds well once set up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

People don't nt like to admit it but this is what peak camera viewfinder looks like
https://i.imgur.com/umvPzHB.mp4

if you know, you know.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

drat, was thinking “ugh, this looks like that garbage people fling about on flickr” and then i looked closer. lol.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Megabound posted:

My reverse camera room got a big upgrade

fuuuuck. very jealous.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

you literally know how to do things I do not

dude, a little over $100 and you can develop in your bathroom or at your kitchen sink. it’s super accessible.

if you do, and you stick with 35mm film, just drop a few hundred more and get a dedicated film scanner too though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

seriously though. i tried all kinds of dumb, cheap, and jankety scanning setups before i finally pulled my head out of my rear end and bought a cheap and cheerful plustek 8100 and it’s one of the best equipment decisions I’ve made.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’d give my left nut for ad hoc darkroom access

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I really would. i have two kids already and we don’t want any more. hell, take the right one too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

over in the truck nuts thread we have a fine range of replacement nuts so you don’t need to feel like less

tell the truth, they’re just the ones they make for dogs but repackaged, aren’t they?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

i get it, but if you do decide to give it a shot sometime b&w film is basically impossible to gently caress up and i think you'd probably enjoy the aesthetic. pull some hp5 and admire those lovely, grey blacks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

get some cheap but excellent rodinal and go 2 town.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echi don’t listen to sagebrush. use rodinal.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I don’t have any of the finesse stuff down myself, tbh.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ve done semi-stand but that’s about as weird as i’ve gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

i have no idea what any of this means but would like to understand

c41 chemical packs are still called “press kits”