Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

i have a GFX and it's basically exactly as you say, 3 dials (and 2 more that you can bind to things including iso), and I don't really touch anything else.

it's good and I like it, and the fuji gfx lenses are insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

well i don't really, I usually shoot on f8 and iso100 and only adjust shutter speed, it's extremely needs suiting. the big rear end sensor is really good

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

qirex posted:

I want to try the 50R, it’s like if you shot my camera with a science fiction growth ray

It's pretty good, it's still big but not excessively big. Especially compared to my previous camera (hasselblad 500cm)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

for a few thousand bucks you can be lucky too

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

qirex posted:

I'd guess fuji appeals to two large groups of people:
old film shooters who like manual controls
newbies with no experience in the dslr area who balk at the size and price of full frame cameras/lenses and don't want to gently caress with raw files for 10 minutes apiece to get a usable picture

there's also street photography hipsters who wish they owned a leica but I think they're just overrepresented on youtube and there aren't actually that many of them

It's both great and frustrating at the same time. A lot of things are very much designed to be used in an auto setting and not really in manual, even though it looks that way.

for example if you want to manually focus on something, you have to either be in the manual focussing mode, or if you are in an auto focus mode, your focus and exposure have to be locked before you can adjust the focus.
Then when you do, the focus ring is one of those electronic ones (eh) with acceleration (ugh) which you can't turn off (ughhhhh)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this is exactly what good ol' k-rock says you should do :jeb:

i don't really see the need for medium format digital outside professional studio work. historically you'd use it for the greatly increased resolution, but 24-30 mp is enough resolution for nearly any purpose and you can get that in 135/full frame or even a crop sensor no problem.

obviously the enhanced light-gathering of the medium format sensor is great, and the decreased noise, but modern sensors are just ridiculously good at low-light regardless of size, and the huge medium format lenses don't tend to be that fast anyway so you're just kinda trading it off.

like it's fuckin bananas that i can go out in the dark with my z6 and shoot a photo at ISO 25000, 1/8 second at 135mm, handheld (with sensor stabilization) and it is not only well lit but completely sharp and still has less noise than a frame of Tri-X. that was completely impossible even, idk, like 6 years ago. fast lenses are now basically just bokeh generators

so on that note the one unique thing a mf camera can do i guess is give you the medium format bokeh, but again, really only something you'd notice in a portrait studio. idk

it's neat, but what's the purported advantage of this over phase detection?

The sensor definitely gathers more light, but low light performance isn't as good as you think; the sensor is olddd. Same one as the X1-D and pentax 645z.
It does have amazing dynamic range in good light, and the level of detail is intense. I primarily like that it's 4:3 and not 3:2 (gently caress 3:2), and having a longer focal length while retaining a wider field of view (not as noticable on this as it would be on something like large format)

Not quite the same comparison with the big $50k hasselblads and phaseones, those use an even bigger sensor (GFX is 44x33, that one is closer to 645 size). It's more like the apsc of medium format.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

you would think being able to use all kinds of lenses is cool and rad but modern lenses are so insanely good it's not even funny

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

polyester concept posted:

yup

whenever i use good-for-their-time old film lenses on my camera I usually have to just accept that they’ll all be kind of soft by todays standards.

then when you go back to something modern with autofocus and image stabilization its like :piss:

I adapted my 50mm f4 hasselblad zeiss t* CFe FLE IF etc etc the one with all the letters, basically the best they made in the early 2000s so not even that long ago, and the fuji 50mm f3.5, the cheapest gfx lens, absolutely wipes the floor with it in every single way. corner sharpness is better than center on the zeiss.

it's also like half the size and weight, in addition to having autofocus.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

if you really wanna stick it to camerachat, just pivot it into artchat because cameras are actually pretty boring.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I’m waiting for a csmera with sensors built in that will detect the angle and perspective and let you automatically adjust in post, as though you had front element movements like a large format field camera

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

doesn’t correct for the proper proportions, it just adjusts the diagonals into verticals and compresses it vertically at the same time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

no and you shouldn’t either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

lol i'm at like 1

like, regardless of how much, and sometimes that's also 0

yall not picky enough