Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a fuji x100v it is extremely needs suiting in that I can't waste $800 on a lens if I'm feeling bored, plus I like the dials for everything it makes more sense to my brain than PASM modes. I wish they'd make a 28mm or maybe 24-50 zoom version but that would probably make it huge. anyway it's a good camera I take lots of dog portraits

[missed focus a bit but it's such a nice picture]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

I am a huge Fuji fanboy, their image processing makes the best looking jpgs out of any camera manufacturer imo. I shoot raw+jpg, but I never touch the raw files anymore, I just keep them for posterity I guess. I just transfer the jpgs to my phone and do some basic cropping and that's it. But you can do cropping, color, exposure, shadow & highlight adjustments right on the camera itself, so I never even touch photoshop or lightroom anymore these days. They also consistently provide feature upgrades to older camera models via firmware updates instead of forcing you to buy the latest model.

this is really important to me since I don't like editing photos unless they're really amazing, I mostly shoot jpeg and might do some minor crop/straighten or occasional tone editing but my goal is to get the image I want in the viewfinder. I get why people do exposure/focus stacking and all that but I don't have the patience and not dealing with 30mb raw files is so nice. those ones I posted are all straight out of camera except for cropping

I take tons of sky pictures but they're mostly contre jour for that reason

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dog picture tips:
  • start at 1/500 [I use auto ISO up to 6400 for animals]
  • don't shoot 2.0 or less if you're close, you will get the eyes and miss focus on the nose or vice versa [cats are easier that way]
  • people trying to pose their dogs ruin the picture just take a million of them doing dog stuff
  • getting close is good but once they see you they will try to stick their nose in the lens [this is your best opportunity to pet the dog]

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 8, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I hear those new 1.4 fujis are real good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

well i don't really, I usually shoot on f8 and iso100 and only adjust shutter speed, it's extremely needs suiting. the big rear end sensor is really good
I want to try the 50R, it’s like if you shot my camera with a science fiction growth ray

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess fuji appeals to two large groups of people:
old film shooters who like manual controls
newbies with no experience in the dslr area who balk at the size and price of full frame cameras/lenses and don't want to gently caress with raw files for 10 minutes apiece to get a usable picture

there's also street photography hipsters who wish they owned a leica but I think they're just overrepresented on youtube and there aren't actually that many of them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah I only manually focus when I want to lock it to one zone for a while like taking pictures out of a window, focus by wire is kinda butt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

i should also mention that i am in SF which has a recent trend of lensbros getting punched in the face and all their gear stolen from them, a thing which I am inclined to avoid.

yeah I'm on russian hill a lot but I avoid the area right around twisty lombard

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the gear is almost never why your photos aren't good, you need to learn to compose and shoot with what you have and no set of gear is going to adapt to every situation you have to make editorial creative choices about what you want to achieve

I agree cameras should be scriptable but camera makers are so bad at software it will probably never happen. I'd like to make my own film simulations as I only use like 3 of the 15 my camera comes with

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do not do freelance work without a contract and releases

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a reason photographers charge double their rate for weddings. it’s also what keeps most professional photographers in business

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

c camera s: apparently my local London Drugs still has a 1-hour 35mm photo lab. might have to go get myself an SLR or something to shoot some film with

when you find out how much film costs now you may want to look into a better lab

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

digital sensors are measurably better than film in pretty much every way but people don't always want the most hyperreal image and the "character" of film is something all the digital companies spend tons of time on [especially since only like 3 companies make all the sensors everyone uses]

in practice you can make an image look however you want but the film ~experience~ appeals to a lot of people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mods rename thread to echi's losing struggle with gear acquisition syndrome liveblog

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a couple recent shots I liked

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my flash came with gels imo they look cheesy and you can just tint it in post. get a diffuser if you need a diffuser

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at that point you might as just well hold your camera up to the scope on an actual rifle

found a refurb deal on a ricoh gr iii, now I have to become a street photography hipster

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my GR is here and image stabilization is good, folks

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d go instax if I wanted instant film but that has filthy pixels involved which might not match your ~*aesthetic*~

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like more contrast but the current trend is no highlights no shadows.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mountain pictures benefit insanely from low angle light across their faces, the contrast helps give them scale. it’s why all the landscape photographers I watch on youtube are constantly starting their videos at like 3am so they can hike 3 hours to catch dawn

my favorite mountain picture

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I only do manual shutter when I want it really high for animal pictures or really low for landscapes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one "nice" thing about having fixed lens cameras is it's never worth even attempting wildlife photos

it's good for pets though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good dog

I frequently forget to step up to f4 for pointy dogs and miss focus on the nose

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't personally like the reduced contrast squash everything into the middle look but it's super popular right now. that said a lot of my pictures are contre jour or using tons of black to make highlights pop more as my whole thing

e: I could probably crop out the bottom third of that last one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's not a pancake lens, it's a crepe lens

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people add chromatic abberation in post now, you're just cutting out the middleman

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neito posted:

I'm lusting after it right now.
it's apparently not very good, I'd suggest you settle for a fuji x100 or save for a leica q

e: speaking of the x100 I got a good shot in my favorite hotel lobby

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

and the computational bokeh is still so bad

remember how a whole startup spent tens of millions of dollars on their revolutionary “light field” technology and even built and released a $1500 camera and the bokeh looked exactly like gaussian blur applied to an automask in photoshop?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really want a tele but I’m so afraid to break the seal on lens buying, all my money will go away from me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

you have a xt100 right? theres some cheapo primes that seem pretty decent and i've certainly got good results out of them (same brands), but the MFT sensor is a bit smaller
nah I have a x100v and a ricoh GR3, both purchased specifically because I can't spend kilobucks on lenses. my current plan is to make the leap if the xpro 4 isn't stupid, I'd like to stick with the rangefinder form factor and the x-e4 doesn't cut it from a control perspective

speaking of rangefinders this camera is deeply stupid on a bunch of levels [3 grand, no removable storage, no evf or screen] but 16 bit black and white raws :flashfap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlozkldyykM

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

art is about the intent of the artist which is why commercial and editorial photography are considered different things even though the process is identical

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to predict the future: this is the traditional echi "ask a basic question without doing the most cursory look at decades of smart people's existing thoughts about the topic, state a bad opinion then play dumb" thing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo design isn’t art because the purpose for doing it originates outside the creator’s intent, ie the oscilloscope company needs documentation and the person who draws oscilloscope diagrams needs to eat so they take the job

one of the reasons I like photography so much as a hobby is that I can’t conflate it with what I do for a living, I have dozens of not hundreds of incomplete personal design projects from the last 25 years because when it’s my free time the last thing I want to do is some adobe poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oops! all bokeh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like square crops. if you're trying to min/max insta engagement you need to go 4:5

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nurrwick posted:

my camera won't even let me do auto ISO in manual, because how would it, how is that manual

actually you have highlighted kind of an interesting thing... i only own one mirrorless ilc, and it's the pentax k-01 from 2012, so: does anyone that makes a mirrorless ilc have a custom setting or whatever that lets you drop the camera into a mode that literally is not allowed to overexpose? would be kind of an interesting 'working professional' feature, though i don't think i personally would want to ever use it. i shoot too many way-dynamic scenes, and i hate shadow amplification noise.

my ricoh gr has “highlight protection“ mode for auto exposure, I’m sure other vendors have something similar [not fuji]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know the rule of thumb is handheld down to 1/60 but unless I really concentrate on being still it’s probably closer to 120 for me. I shoot people and animals at at least 250 but the fuji auto iso function helps

[1/500]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

protip: check what the shutter speed is before taking pictures, it's probably right there in the viewfinder or on the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001