Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

beeftweeter, you seem to know a lot about micro four-thirds hardware... I'm looking to upgrade my camera body, any suggestions as to a cheap (used?) option that gets me a better sensor than what I have now?

I'm currently using an ancient Panasonic Lumix GX1 that I got used in 2015 for $160, and it's served me well over the years, but the sensor shows its age if you get into the higher ISO levels, and there's zero in-body image stabilization, which sometimes makes it challenging to use my favorite lens, which is...

Beeftweeter posted:

panasonic also makes a pancake 20mm portrait that my wife has, it's not quite as fast as the 25mm (i don't remember offhand but i think it's f/1.9) but it's a good lens too
... the 20mm pancake lens mentioned here (which is f/1.7, actually, unless there's a different/newer slower version).

I had been hoping that I could just go and score another old-but-newer body for <$200 like I've done before, but it looks like used camera prices are a lot higher now than they were last time I shopped? The GX7, which is the next model after mine but still almost a decade old at this point, seems to still be going for close to $300 on ebay.

I guess I'm willing to pay more than I did last time around, but are there any sweet spots in the micro 4/3 camera body market? I definitely don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a higher quality sensor than I have now (which includes... just about everything made in the last decade, probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

thanks, good to know that even the GX7 would be a big bump in sensor quality. i'll probably just keep searching for a good deal on a GX7 or newer. (I think I'm going to be taking my time now, I'm in no rush after getting a surprise bill from the auto mechanic this morning.)