Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

I ain't trying to gloat here, I'm just impressed with modern equipment. my last camera was a canon 7d from 2009

this is at 100% its perfect down to the pixel friends.

those zany engineers at the camera companies? god bless every one of them

it's crazy how bad and smeared up phone pics look compared to a modern camera & lens when you pixel peep

i got a mirrorless camera so i can buy weird vintage lenses on ebay for super cheap and fit them easily to my camera with cheap adapters.

for around $100 you can get a soviet helios 44-2 and get swirly bokeh like this

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

I have a fuji x100v it is extremely needs suiting

I am a huge Fuji fanboy, their image processing makes the best looking jpgs out of any camera manufacturer imo. I shoot raw+jpg, but I never touch the raw files anymore, I just keep them for posterity I guess. I just transfer the jpgs to my phone and do some basic cropping and that's it. But you can do cropping, color, exposure, shadow & highlight adjustments right on the camera itself, so I never even touch photoshop or lightroom anymore these days. They also consistently provide feature upgrades to older camera models via firmware updates instead of forcing you to buy the latest model.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 8, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

love a good sky pic. images like this I start to feel conflicted, I've done some aggressive colour manipulation to make it more striking. for this, I may get called a clown.

some say if you want to see realism in photography, buy a newspaper

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you can just put plastic wrap over your lens and smear vaseline on it for weird effects.

or just take the lens off your camera and "free lens" it by simply holding it close to the camera, imperfectly, letting light leaks and poo poo get in. you'd probably have to find the camera setting that lets you take photos with no lens attached

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the used thorium in the glass to reduce aberrations lol https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

I hear those new 1.4 fujis are real good

i didn't know they had a new lineup of primes

god drat that 50mm f1.0 looks bonkers

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

what is really good is how it got me off my rear end to get the pic

probably wouldnt have done it if it wasnt to also take the pic

:same:

this was down a steep rocky slope i had to sort of trespass a little bit on the power company's property to get here

cant recommend enough the thrill of taking photos while trespassing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

MrQueasy posted:

Precisely! I let COVID steal that from me because going out in public became exhausting... even if it was to head out into the middle of nowhere.

If you have an EF mount... this is a pro rent if you don't know what you're going to end up shooting.

EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

At $1600 I'm not getting one of my own anytime soon... but god drat is it versatile.

I used to be a snob all about primes but I ended up forking over $700 for Fuji's 16-80 f/4 and it's become my always-on lens. I wish it was a 2.8 but it would probably have doubled the price.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

sometimes doing a checklist of famous tourist photographs is a fun challenge. start with your home town

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah echi you want a fuji, they got all the good knobs:

iso (with an auto setting)
shutter (with an auto setting)
compensation

and most of the lenses have an aperture dial on the lens itself (again with an auto setting)

plus has two programmable thumb dials you can set to other settings you want. you can basically remap all the buttons.

you can mix and match any of the auto settings you want. auto iso and auto shutter with manual aperture? got it. auto aperture with manual shutter and manual iso? you got it. the camera figures it out. and you dont have to go into any menus to switch between different auto options, it rules.

you could probably find a used X-T2 for not an absurd amount of money. It is truly an amazing camera still. plus it's made in japan and feels really high quality. buying used camera gear is an extremely pro move, because a lot of people have gear acquisition syndrome and you can find a lot of basically unused gear for a significant discount from retail. not living in north america probably makes it harder tho :(

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 15, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

i have a GFX

fuckin' lucky

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I think fuji has always been somewhat of an underdog in the camera world, obviously the pros still mostly go with canon and nikon. sony too but they seem more video focused.

fuji only recently started going after the pro/prosumer crowd. Their recent lens offerings are starting to get seriously competitive with more established brands (they've always made extremely good cine lenses)

the gfx is a medium format sensor and the camera body starts at $4,000 usd and the cheapest lens for it is a grand. But only a few years ago, you were looking at dropping a cool $10k minimum for a medium format digital system. its crazy

I am probably going to stick with aps-c until medium format drops a bit more and then skip full frame entirely :2bong:

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 16, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I absolutely do not need medium format, you’re right. I don’t even need full frame. it’s just fuckin cool.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

you would think being able to use all kinds of lenses is cool and rad but modern lenses are so insanely good it's not even funny

yup

whenever i use good-for-their-time old film lenses on my camera I usually have to just accept that they’ll all be kind of soft by todays standards.

then when you go back to something modern with autofocus and image stabilization its like :piss:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

scottch posted:

a sexy as hell 105/2.5 AI

this is a good lens, i have one too. still takes extremely nice photos considering it was designed in the 60s way before they had computers, and still sold relatively unchanged until 2005. it has it's own history page on the nikon website

it was used for the famous "afghan girl" photo

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 17, 2021

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jimmy Carter posted:

'everyone thinks you're a dumb tourist because you have a pocket camera so they ignore you'.

this is what i love most about small cameras. i have been a hobby photographer for years and years but i always had some weird anxiety about being the guy who'd always bust out a massive DSLR and camera bag. taking pictures in public and around lots of people still makes me anxious, so i usually avoid it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

doing weddings is the “i like computers, i should get a job in IT” of photography. you will never enjoy it again

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

c camera s: apparently my local London Drugs still has a 1-hour 35mm photo lab. might have to go get myself an SLR or something to shoot some film with

I am surprised they are still offering it. Back in 2014 they were the last drug store photo lab operating in canada and I used them to develop a roll here or there. even back then it was too expensive for anything other than the novelty. everywhere else will mail it out somewhere.

be warned though that they don't do the traditional analog RA-4 minilab process for prints anymore - they do a digital scan and print it like any other digital photo. The LD I went to had the worst digital scans imaginable, DNR'd to death and all the detail was turned into mush. and then they charge you extra for the digital files, which were complete garbage.

and if you don't ask, they might throw away your negatives.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 24, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The two best film stocks available right now are fuji 400h (no longer available in 35mm, only medium format) and kodak portra 400. you can reliably over or under expose these films by 2 or 3 stops, but you really need a good quality scanner to pull out the detail. this page has some good examples of what it can look like. a consumer scanner won't look this good http://canadianfilmlab.com/2014/04/24/film-stock-and-exposure-comparisons-kodak-portra-and-fuji/

at 35mm it will look pretty bad, though. mostly everyone who uses this film in a "professional" sense uses them in medium format to reduce apparent noise. and consumer grade film stocks will do way worse, obviously. you can still buy a 3-pack of kodak gold 400 at walmart for like $16 in canada, which is not bad. portra 400 is like $10+ per roll.

there was a time when digital sensors weren't as good as film but that's absolutely a thing of the past.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 24, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the quality of light you get out of a non-direct flash is lightyears better than natural light in 99% of indoor situations. I wish it wasn't weird as gently caress to set up a bounce flash at every family event I go to where i usually take candids. i mean, people always appreciate when I send them cute photos of their kids and pets but it's certainly distracting to be firing a flash all the time.

everyone thinks with a flash you'll get that terry richardson deer in headlights look, or something super artificial or staged, but a single flash bounced off a wall or ceiling just looks so good and way better than whatever lovely LEDs people have in their house.

the strobist lighting 101 guide is often a recommended read https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html the first time you try it out and see the result on your rear LCD it's like :aaaaa:, so exciting and rewarding.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 24, 2022

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lots of studio cameras had interchangeable film holders which included ones that allowed you to shoot onto polaroids for exactly that reason.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

that is cool for the novelty but lmao

it's monochrome
it's only 6.7 megapixels

and the best part

quote:

HTML Camera Control
Control of the camera is done through an HTML interface.

:stare:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

NoneMoreNegative posted:

(not to mention if you're working with your own budget instead of a corporate budget how the expense of large format positives mounts up extremely loving quickly)

i got some of this in my freezer i've been trying to find the perfect opportunity to use :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

once again fuji supremacy because they have both auto white balance with “white priority” and another setting with “ambience priority” if you want to preserve the mood. you can also manually adjust the tint for every wb setting as well if you like it just a little warmer or cooler