Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

turns out however you can appreciate things for many different reasons. some of these reasons might be deep and incrimohrensible by others.

you just like advertising. those images are selling you the idea of being cool, or skinny, or young, or sexualized, or the idea that you're the cool photographer taking pictures of women who want to undress in front of you. they're selling you a lifestyle, and we grow up in a society where we're sold that visual lifestyle our entire lives. i don't think it's a mystery or incomprehensible why you'd find them alluring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

horny for symbolism

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i find the lifted blacks thing kind of funny because yeah it's mimicking "film", but really it's mimicking badly scanned film, but it doesn't really even matter anyways. there's lots of mavica photos posted in this thread and lots of chatter online about zoomers getting really into digital point and shoots, not even the shittiest ones, but it's just yearning for some nostalgia of an imagined past. like the bad scans themselves become nostalgic because people experience film through that perspective, regardless of their "authenticity" of how film actually looks, the same way people imagine the 60s as sort of a colorless faded wasteland because they experience things through photo albums decades later that were printed on unstable mediums. it's cool sometimes i guess but after a while it just feels like a surface-level visual communication of nostalgia without anything backing it up

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

like at some point i imagine people will be nostalgic for fake scanlines on cgi'd-in television sets in media set in the 80s but filmed in the 2020s instead of actual tube tvs

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

yeah there's definitely something to mimicking the print itself. that guy does it a bit too far for me and it just reads as "using the same lightroom presets" instead of a careful application per-image to suit it

it's actually pretty cool to print images and scan them back in, definitely gives that look in a very natural feeling way

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

oh lol

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i had to crop little jones out (basically he's to the left of that bubble), but i would love any tips yall have on composition and stuff. all i know how to do is rule-of-thirds - beyond that i just take pictures of stuff i like and kind of hope it works out.

like, would this be better if i cropped some of that vertical space out so that the buddha head is gone, at the expense of poodle jones's tail? or maybe if there was just less stuff other than the bubblechomp? i'm not sure

maybe something like

first one is better, don't overthink it, dog looks good

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the criticism of your curation felt more like "of course you like this" rather than saying horny itself was bad fwiw

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i think the thing that colors this conversation is that nearly all heterosexual males have shared your taste at some point in their lives. part of having such viewpoints in our pasts is that we definitionally view them as immature.

i think it's not even that heterosexual males have shared the taste, but that it's fundamentally rooted in a nostalgia for a perceived past. swinging on rope swings, tradwife dress, hazy sunsets, etc., it's all calling back to the past in one way or another, and for me, personally, i've started to think that idealizing that rosy version of the past (especially in a white heteronormative sense) is a privilege itself. it's the taste of people who yearn for the past where other people were oppressed, even if that's not what they're thinking of.

i've always struggled to put it into effective words but the images feel very conservative, they're rooted in the past, and they're not challenging me or anyone to move into the future. of course there's always joy in being nostalgic so it's fine to like them and want to take them. but it's also not unreasonable for people to look at them and not like what they represent

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's the same ideological event happening now but with slightly different people, i felt the same way about dash snow and ryan mcginley photos 15 years ago. and yeah the analysis is definitely nothing fresh

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I would be interested for people to share some "inspo" that they think is good and not boring or horny or whatever

here's some projects i've been thinking of lately

https://garrettgrove.com/errorsofpossession - i think this is a good "straight" contemporary photography series
http://www.everythingiscollective.com/projects/imaginedgeographies.html - i really like this as a way of looking at how the way we perceive the outdoors in the united states is almost entirely intentionally designed, and how that sort of visual engineering translates to how we view photographs and visual art
http://www.stevefitch.com/diesels-and-dinosaurs/ - this older series of someone examining their childhood nostalgia has me thinking about how we manufacture nostalgia generationally and how that decays

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

when you went to the drug store and they printed your film, the processor didn't make everything low contrast

the low contrast stuff comes from people getting lab scans (frontier/noritsu) of badly exposed consumer grade film, drop off a roll of kodak gold you shot wildly underexposed because you don't know how to meter and get jpegs back and they'll look grainy as all hell with not a single pixel of actual black in it

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

remember how y'all were complaining that the dork room was a toxic environment a few days ago before y'all started doing dogpiles every day instead of posting cool photos? i remember

the "dorkroom regular" was inside of your heads all along

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the famous film stock UNFOLD

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

backlit images are always going to appear a bit brighter than a print

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

qirex posted:

what should we call this, mavicacore?

"film" shooters stop taking pictures of brake lights challenge 2023

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i have elevated myself from being a Film Lifestyle guy. i am now a Medium Format Digital lifestyle guy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

wait until you find out about peter lik

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm learning how to process digital photos after a decade of shooting only film, it's not too bad

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i took photos today, enjoying having a weather sealed kit and not having to worry about rain

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i use a cinebloom 10% on my gfx, it helps out in daylight but is really rough when it gets dark and i'm using a tripod - it becomes oppressively diffusing

i took some self-portraits on state traffic cameras this weekend. i drove to them and stood in front for the capture interval to make sure i was in the frame

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

lol. why

i think it's conceptually fun to take photographs with a camera i can't directly control but can put myself in front of

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thank you