Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

echinopsis posted:

what
has anyone at all even said they are a nikon noodler

i have a d700 and 20/2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8 Nikkor AF and a sexy as hell 105/2.5 AI. I sold a d90 and a couple crop lenses that paid for the upgrade just before pandemic hit. it’s kinda old but that sensor + af is still fuckin great and it has all the buttons and knobs, big rear end viewfinder etc

i do both landscape and portrait and the whole kit is just great. add a nice off camera soft box (I have some monster octagon + speedlight) and you’re set for portraits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
god drat don’t do weddings. they are so much loving work, way way more than you’re anticipating and oh god the pressure to produce good results can be a lot. and it’s like a 12 hour day. I’ve done three or four and never again.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

* actually this doesn't make sense because i think it varies based on what distance i'm focusing on. drat this poo poo is complicated

it is! what you're looking for is a depth of field calculator.

there's also what's called 'hyperfocal distance,' which is a combo of length + aperture + focal point that ensures every part of the image is well focused. old lenses have this marked out on their focus and aperture dials (eg. the coloured notches to the left/right of the focus dot on a Nikkor lens). you can often approximate it if the lens is wider.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
its a good post, always better with examples. all my lenses are old AI-S or AF so i thankfully have all the lovely scales i need. i only ever use it for my 20mm though, the AF on the d700 never fails me.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
idk what camera that is but if it’s a little older it’s almost certainly using an inferior AF system when you do a “live view” with the LCD vs the viewfinder. always be usin that viewfinder

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
I went d40->d90->d700 over the years and I am pleased as hell with the d700 I got used in 2019. low light is fine, 1600 looks great and higher is nbd but it’s not my primary concern. it’ll tickle you pink if you prefer manual and buttons and toggles for controls. Nikon primes can be p cheap and the af is still top notch

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

yeah i think i wanna do d700/50 for now and keep an eye on mirrorless in a few years once the current sonys go down a bit in price. i still like my chonky bois. i like the weight and heft, tbqh as a low brass player im usee to holding heavy poo poo for a long time. and i do love my physical buttons. new tech is cool but i kind of loved that my camera sucks rear end and i shoot in full manual all the time. the twiddling of knobs gives me great pleasure.

so what should i be packing in an outdoor portrait kit?

100% why I also got a d700 from that same era. the low pixel count means the photo sites are comparatively huge, noise looks nicer etc.

I use a Nikkor 85/1.8 for the AF. it’s a great lens at a very reasonable price. it’s short enough that you don’t need a silly amount of room but still a very nice portrait length. i also prefer a portrait lens on the shorter side so im closer and more engaged with my subject

I also have a Nikkor 105/2.5 AIS that’s full manual (meters though! and exif!) that I fuckin love for landscapes. also very cheap and you can own one of the best and most iconic Nikkors!

I use a Nikkor 20/2.8 for landscapes and ofc the 50/1.8. only lens I think I might want is a 35mm but otherwise 20, 50, 85 is a loving great kit

scottch fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 28, 2022

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
looks great, not overcooked at all. nice fuckin shot

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
that’s way too wide on full frame. look for a 24mm or 35mm, 35 is an especially handy wide fov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
hell yeah brother, love my Nikkor 35/2 ai