Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a used rebel t7 (with the kit lens) and an old canon 70-210mm FD lens and a FD to EF adapter for it

im gonna take pictures of the moon and jupiter and stuff with them

and also of poodle jones and little jones and ms jones the nature preserve where we go hiking (see also: bugs, flowers)

i dont know anything about lens selection or anything, i just found that zoom lens at goodwill for $25 shipped and figured it was worth it to play around with

right now i'm expecting to end up with a bunch of old lenses, and to spend more on adapters for old lenses than i do on either the old lenses or actual new lenses. i'm not really planning on buying new modern lenses unless it turns out that i just can't do what i want without doing so

it's been overcast every night since i got my telescope so we'll see what happens :shrug:

anyway my photography knowledge is basically the rule of thirds and a general understanding of what f-stops are so im happy to be pointed at beginner resources (because searching mostly just turns up lovely seo spam). i also have basically zero interest in post-processing. like, i guess i'll do some stacking for astrophotography stuff because you kind of have to (esp if you don't have an equatorial mount), but i dont really want to involve sitting at a computer any more than i have to in this whole endeavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thanks y'all!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my camera came! i wasn't expecting it until tomorow. i have taken some very bad pictures, but here's one that isn't so terrible

my t-mount and stuff for the telescope also came today! which probably means nothing, but i have the ability to take moonpics if it's visible and not raining on me*

* im not gonna complain about getting rained out, this is socal so rains almost never bad

e: idk why it's not showing but https://i.postimg.cc/66MRJJyy/IMG-8286.jpg

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 14, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

spent some time puttering around the back yard and taking dogpics while watching tv this morning

it surprised me how not-very-helpful the autofocus is on this camera. it's mostly decent through the viewfinder, but when you try to use the screen _woof_. not a huge deal - and i kind of knew it wouldn't be as good since one of the differences between more expensive cameras is that mine has 9 autofocus points instead of 40something - but i'm still a little surprised

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo i got my 70-210 lens today and it rules so hard. ms jones said it was clear last night at like 11pm so i'm hoping it'll be clear again tonight but a little earlier (i was asleep by then) so i can take moonpics

it's an FD lens with a $50 adapter so everything is manual. feels like taking pictures on my folks' old pentax as a kid, except there's no analogue light meter (indeed there is no light meter at all with this lens attached, just gotta eyeball it)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you want to see a coot so bad just hit the power switch on your monitor

cool bird tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i made some birdpics at the zoo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah you get that with amateurs in all hobbies. i mean im sure you get it with professionals too, but i've never seen real working artists/chefs/photographers be lovely about this, where i've definitely seen hobbyist people do the dog pile thing. of course it might just be that the pros im thinking of are irl friends, and if they were assholes i wouldn't be friends with them. after all, the hobbyists im friends with irl are also chill and cool and good. so maybe it is the internet that sucks.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's his whole _thing_

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

throwing pity parties is his other thing

luckily he has other things as well - it's a lot more fun for everyone when he leans into them instead

fwiw echi, i think your inspiration photos mostly suck, but i enjoy the photos you yourself take. i remember some mountain landscapes you took that were rather cool. i also enjoy hearing you talk about the lifted black stuff and all that, because i know literally nothing about post-processing and dont know where to get started or anything.

anyway, Universal Control broke, so im gonna hit post on this and will post some pics in a minute

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had to crop little jones out (basically he's to the left of that bubble), but i would love any tips yall have on composition and stuff. all i know how to do is rule-of-thirds - beyond that i just take pictures of stuff i like and kind of hope it works out.

like, would this be better if i cropped some of that vertical space out so that the buddha head is gone, at the expense of poodle jones's tail? or maybe if there was just less stuff other than the bubblechomp? i'm not sure

maybe something like

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 24, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bellows lugosi posted:

first one is better, don't overthink it, dog looks good

fair enough, thank you!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i took this self portrait the other day

iirc there's some plexiglass in between. i just hit the "auto fix" or "smart fix" or whatever button in photoshop; that seems to have made it nicer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

at one point, i was on the other side of the enclosure and there were dozens of people watching him. there was a beautiful candid shot of them watching him set up, but before i could take the photo they all moved on to the lookout that I was in. little jones spent the next like 15 minutes complaining about "why did those rude people move and ruin your picture" and had a hard time accepting "they didn't do anything wrong, sometimes it just doesn't work out" as an answer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

BEEP BEEP

i would like to take photos like this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think the thing that colors this conversation is that nearly all heterosexual males have shared your taste at some point in their lives. part of having such viewpoints in our pasts is that we definitionally view them as immature. you can say all you want about tastes' changing as we age not really getting _better_ but merely _different_, but at the end of the day if i didn't think my taste in my late 30s is better than it was in my late teens, i would still like the same things. indeed, with a lot of music, i still _do_ like what i listened to twenty years ago. i even like some of the same photos. but there's a certain type of portraiture that i generally roll my eyes at these days even if it's, shall we say, pleasant to look at.

realistically, if i or beef or whoever posted any one of those photos, nobody would throw shade. it's only because of your inability to stop being horny - and your requirement to post horny a hundred times and not just take your lumps and move on - that people react. we've seen from past behavior that if we don't call you out for hornyposting, you just keep going and going and that's what people are really trying to avoid.

anyways, if it really bothers you all you have to do is not post pictures of birds (british slang) but posting birds (standard usage) owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i feel what you're saying, but the twee hipster aesthetic youre talking about was Very Much In 15 years ago. hell, that exact analysis you gave also hasn't really changed in 15 years either. idk if Kids These Days are still doing the same thing, but i kinda suspect that they are, because borrowed nostalgia - or more accurately, aping nuance without really understanding it, that whole music/scene thing that is now referred to as an endless parade of "aesthetics" and "-cores" - is itself a big part of growing up and developing one's own taste and sense of style

maybe i just dont like the idea of dismissing it as necessarily retrograde, idk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi im way worse at taking photos than you are and i hope you keep posting (non-horny) photos

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't take pictures in raw mode cause it's enough of a pain to delete the egregious photos and import the rest. i can't imagine also wanting to do Real Processing on a regular basis

am i making a terrible mistake? i don't really know what kind of adjustments raw would let me do that i can't do on jpgs. i know they exist but no further details

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

and I really like the hair in that photo, it's desirably curly, and also in a state that isn't tidy and put up, but kind of messy, and it's a dimly lit bedroom, and messy hair in a dimly lit bedroom? what does that imply

to me, it captures a feeling quite well. I was there, so I know what the feeling was, so I am not sure if it's translates through to others when they see it, but I hope it does. (and that might rely on a persons life experience etc)

this is what he's after. echi's gonna maximize for pretty girls making him horny on photo shoots and maybe kissing him. i dont really think youre gonna change his mind artistically; what he's doing seems to effectively get models to messge him for horny photoshoots and so everything is working as intended and unlikely to change

you've heard of greedy algorithms? this is a horny algorithm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oldpics and the bird in the last one is weird lookin (rip poodle jones the first)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echinopsis posted:

i think I shared that recently. drat imagine if the background was something other than green. good pose tho

this made me think of one of those plates you might see on someone’s wall

is that vignetting post-processing or is that a natural part of the photo? also is it still called vignetting when it's light instead of dark?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah i've (accidentally) done normal vignetting when i set the aperture too narrow or when i'm trying to shoot through my telescope. was trying to figure out how you'd pull it off a white vignette

thanks y'all!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ngl i think y'all are being too hard on echi. i'll drag him from here to next sunday for the horny stuff but this ain't that. he's asked you to stop. please stop, even if you think he's being overly sensitive or whatever. i think he's being pretty reasonable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i watched the menu last night. it very much features food as Serious Art and it made me think about what somebody said upthread about advertisements for photography. i think i like advertisements in photography. i don't mean for stuff to buy, but photography that is "check out my cool _____." the blank can be poodle jones or little jones or ms jones or a neat bug i found or an animal at the zoo or the wildflowers exploding over the canyon in the nature preserve. but what i'm not doing is saying "i want to take a picture of 'wistful longing' or 'detached parental satisfaction' and then trying to convey that specific emotion to a viewer. i just want to share a well-composed and interesting photo of my son laying his head on the dog. the emotion that i feel looking at the picture comes through, but isn't my primary focus

and sure that's an advertisement if you want to put a negative spin on it. but it's also snapshots, and it's also a process of elevating and bringing artistic considerations into the normal takin pictures thing that so many of us do anyway.

as i type this PJ is looking out the window waiting for little and ms jones to return from dance class. it would be a good picture of patient loving if the background were pleasing. it could also be a good snapshot of my dog waiting for my family. "check out this cool poodle." i don't really think like there's much difference in what the two approaches actually create. which means it's just whichever mindset is most fun and most engaging for the photographer. i think there's probably room for both styles, but i don't really think it's correct to treat the photographer-focused style as more intellectual or better than the subject-focused style. there's pretty simple translations from one to the other.

anyway that's a lot of words

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just tried to take the picture and couldn't manage to get the window and PJ's facing and the background to all line up nicely. if he would've turned his head 20° or so to the right it might've worked though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i did get this picture of the rare PJ dogball that i then transferred to my phone and hosed around with in the ios photos app

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am much less happy with that photo looking at it on the computer than i was looking at it on my phone. oh well.

and thanks for the kind words :)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought the 1.8 50mm canon lens. i saw a bunch of things talking about the 2.4 as being a good macro lens, i wanna try a macro thing, and the 1.8 is supposed to be the new version of the 2.4. it occurs to me that maybe the 1.8 isn't actually what i want because it doesn't have "macro" in the title. but i don't know lenses confuse me. i had amazon funbux and everybody's always talkin about how great 50mm lenses are idk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well - i'm only into cheap lenses. this one was $125 new (but like $15 after funbux). im not good enough or serious enough about this stuff to justify expensive lenses. but i do wanna take bugpics. thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ahh gotcha. i just had a look at it seems like they range from like $15-$200 - ill see what i can do with the lens when it gets here and , if i can't make something happen, look into an extender that won't wreck my camera. thanks!

i also read something about lens reversers, but then there was this weird procedure to change the aperture that i don't think i wanna gently caress with. is it reasonable to just nope out of that, or would i be doing myself a disservice?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh dang, that might be a problem

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how did you take this? just point at the sun and yolo?

e: i thought pointing cameras at the sun could mess them up like it can mess up your eyes. is that wrong, or was the cloud cover sufficient to prevent it (that wont really save eyes, but maybe it does sensors), or something else?

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so they're

dirty birds

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

got my 50mm this morning, it delivered at like 6:45 am(!). it's pretty cool. it has an STM autofocus, which is really fast and quiet. it's pretty cool. i only took dogpics with it, but ill post one in a sec

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol the 50mm is now on sale for $100. i'm returning it to amazon, and have a new one on the way from BH Photo Video. I could've got it from Amazon, but the one I got looked to be opened and it rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, you know, if they wanted me to keep shopping there they could've refunded me the $25 instead of making me do the return thing. I guess now the funbux will go to something else though =/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

too late now, i already ordered it from BH :shrug:

it'll be here wednesday

but now i know for next time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, google has an employee discount with them so i tend to order from them pretty often. no additional discount on this one, though. in general their camera discounts are non-existent, but i seem to remember getting a good deal on my rode mic a couple years ago. i wish i had done the price adjustment now to save ms jones the trip to the ups store but :shrug: