Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

had to cancel shoot tomorrow coz of weather :cry:

put it in a plastic bag, coward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Got a couple decent snaps at the zoo today. Unfortunately, I think my autofocus is acting up... missed a bunch of shots by like an inch or two.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Funeral Snaps

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Sagebrush posted:

decide something like "the theme today is yellow and orange" and run with it
Sometimes if I have a really good idea that breaks the "rules" I'm using for that set, I duplicate the image and start up a second set and see if I unlock some new ideas doing things that way on other ones.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Visited the San Diego mission to help with my kid's California mandated 4th grade project.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
This is tempting avatar material...

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

did an autumn themed shoot. can’t for the life of me decide if I prefer the one with the shadows lifted (less contrast) or shadows darker

I would love to feel like I could get them to look like film. anyway. I would like to know if there’s some kind of light room course that isn’t about the basics. anyway.

I acquired a bunch of VSCO film presets that are pretty cool. the top one reminds me of Portra film a bit… maybe a little less green?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

straight out of the camera I am actually impressed by how much contrast I have at times in the photos

fortunately I have no idea what I am doing so I get to have a different style in almost every photo

practice your rule of thirds more, imo it helps to make pictures look less “phone” looking to place the “focus point” of a photo off-center…

I dunno… something about forcing myself to adhere to some arbitrary rules makes me feel that breaking those rules becomes more intentional. :shrug:

though I guess rule of thirds hits harder when I crop to 2:3, 3:5, or 16:9 most of the time… the “shape” of film.

(also, I love crushed blacks… but I love deep greens… and flattening the shadows makes green less interesting IMO… love that deep blue-green Ektar25 look… and also the deep orange-reds of Velvia50. reminds me of Sequoia and Yellowstone National Park glossy photo books I had as a child)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

I love square crop anyway though

I like square crop, too... I just feel like it's harder for me!

Anyway, here's vaguely what I see in my mind's eye...

Apologies for drawing on your picture.

My brain wants the pink line (what I see as the line the subject's body implies) to be closer to the left... probably crossing the 1/3d mark. I think this would also balance the out-of-focus arch on the right hand side by pulling it onto the right 1/3d line.

The yellow lines are what my brain sees as the bench's lines and the cyan lines are what my brain sees as an interesting part of the beginning of the background. I think this is fine, because the bench isnt super strong, so the horizon stays pretty strong and interesting. (But I think it would be even stronger with more room to establish itself)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lol, I spend a lot of time hemming and hawing over how to crop. I try to favor not cropping as much as possible, but sometimes the framing just doesn't work out like I planned.

here's two recrops...

a 5:7 "standard" crop

a 1:1 recrop where it makes me feel like she looks happier somehow? Maybe it's because she's looking slightly left?

I love how much a photo can change just by reframing it. Please do not take my word as gospel, I'm stuck in the competence ravine of skill based hobbies... Good enough to recognize how much work getting "actually good" is going to take me. (As an ADHD person, I've reached this level of "pretty good!" with lots of hobbies... photography, piano, lockpicking, sudoku, cross-stitch, poetry... who knows where I'll be at the end of the next decade?)

EDIT: But my top one cuts her off at the butt, and I don't like how it looks now. :negative:

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 23, 2022

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Found a cool article about Lightroom that might be helpful? http://natephotographic.com/the-4-building-blocks-of-style/

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm a basic bitch, but my favorite mountain picture is

(Ansel Adams, "Monolith, the face of Half Dome)

which was caught at mid-day...

That being said, golden hour shadows are very pretty, and none of us are Ansel Adams.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm going out to Texas and I'm thinking of stopping at Carlsbad Caverns on the way.

Someone recommend me a kit to rent from lensway. Body and lenses!

I need something good for ultra-low-light and also for taking some glamor shots of my new niece.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

here's some poo poo from testing out a $40 chinese 50mm prime i picked up on amazon

Looks good!

my problem with the last cheap lens I picked up was severe Chromatic Aberration at the edges of bright-white, and then I got my cheap Canon f1.8 50mm lens and never took it off.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Guys, I've been loving around on the Lensrental site and I just can't decide on anything.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I think I've narrowed it down to these three choices:

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon 135mm f/2L
Fuji X-T3, Fuji XF 16-55 f2.8 R LM WR, Fuji XF 56mm f/1.2 R
Sony Alpha a7 III, Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art

The 5D is closest to what I'm familiar with... I can use my 1.8 cheapo 50mm on it...
The Fuji is closest to what I'd probably buy if I was going to buy something and I actually wanted to use my camera more often...
The Sony intrigues me, but also scares me, which is probably good for personal growth.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I think it was an interview with Ira Glass that I read where he said that all artists who are serious about improvement reach a point where the knowledge accumulated shows off that you are both really good, but that you have so much work and effort to put in to move from good to great. At the same time, you become hyper-aware of your flaws because you have so much more knowledge that you can't help but see them clearer.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Lensrentals order arrived... kickin' the tires on the Canon R

Reds in full sun still require a bit of work in lightroom to fix.

F-in around indoors trying to adjust/get used to the focusing... Going from 9 AF points to a fullly guided experience is a bit of a trip.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

looks like it was overexposed in the first place?

Oh yes, that's a particularly confusing area of my yard for full-auto settings. Of what I've tried with that same spot, the iOS camera is the best at figuring out the deep green background and the super-saturated red. (But it cheats)

The Fuji I played with muted everything, and the canons I've used seem to just let the red clip completely while underexposing everything else.

The dual-pixel raw seemed to let me pull a lot of info back though...

Here's the unprocessed version... the camera was set to -1 stop and on the P mode.

Honestly, it just goes to highlight (lol) why shooting at midday is hard.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
ok, 10 hours of driving across a 100-120 degree AZ and NM didn't provide me with many opportunities... but here's some choice rest stops.

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

By the El Centro dunes.

A rock my son said looked like a lizard... just outside NM.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Back from trying to shoot in the dark.

The Rock of Ages (or Godzilla threatening the faeries as my son put it)

I missed focus on the kid because I didn't realize that hitting the trash can button would reset the autofocus to the middle. Still, I like the composition here.

Also a little soft, but :shrug:

The Iphone's cheating night-vision algorithm is scary good.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I think crushed blacks are neat, but they’re kinda “trendy” looking in my opinion. nothing wrong with trendy, but I feel like I’m trying on other people’s clothes sometimes.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

I need to inform you that there's nothing wrong with being trendy

Yeah, I know, but I’m busy trying to go my own way.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Improbable Lobster posted:

camera talk is unfortunate

lmao

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Cardinal in Crape Myrtle… now I wish I’d sprung for the 70-200, ah well. The 85mm continues to punch above its weight.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

someone doesn't remember the overdone HDR era. that poo poo was HIDEOUS

yeah. it’s not so much the trendyness as it is my own sensitivity to using techniques that call attention to themselves.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

obviously this is subjective but i felt like this was a good example of contrast being pushed too high, so i hosed with the tone curves a bit. i'm not calling you out specifically here, it's a nice shot and everyone has their own interpretation of what looks good

hope you don't mind :shobon:

It looks good! I just like tend to default to the high contrast velvia look with the reddish tone throughout and the pumped shadows. I think the high heat also made me try to convey that feeling through the harsher lighting.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
with canons I just kinda default to setting them to -1 stop when in full Sun

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

hmm yeah I never think about that

it’s dumb that it overexposes at all, id rather lose some shadow detail than lose anything on the face/head

makes me realise I think I haven’t turned on clipping zebras because they’re distracting but maybe it’s a good idea. if it can do it at all lol

I’ve also experimented with the center weighted/average/focus point lighting settings but i still can’t figure out how to use them consistently. I’m only having clipping problems in full overhead Sun.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Wasn't happy with the skies in Saguaro National park...

but I got a neat shot of mission San Jose in San Antonio.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

what do ya reckon this guy is doing here for his photos to look like they do. it’s almost the matte effect I was discussing but it’s .. idk more subtle but more encompassing ?

https://instagram.com/johnwingfield

what state is WA? western australia?

his photos are good but his editing makes it such a pleasure to view

Looks like morning golden-hour, long lens (200mm+), crushed blacks, slightly warm balance, a bit of blue highlight pump, potentially shifting the yellows towards orange...

probably using Velvia 50/100 slide film as inspiration... the flatness feels more Provia-esque, but the redness to the yellows and the "greenness" of the greens.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Finally getting shots where my cats don't look like they came out of a horror film.

FTFY

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

these are great. did you bracket the exposure at all? might help composite the clouds

No, I was worried about the flash flood warning and forgot to turn that back on.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm excited, though, because your edit has given me some ideas to experiment with to help "save" some of the photos that came out less interesting looking compared to what I was seeing with my eyes and the camera preview on the ground.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, that's one of the things i love about raw: you can always go back and redo it basically any way you want. you should also give rawtherapee a try, it's got some really interesting highlight recovery options

oh come on i did it in like 30 seconds as an example lol

OK! I tried to use rawtherapee, but it is going to take a lot of learning and experimentation before I can produce anything useful with it. Can you describe your workflow with it, or point me to some walkthroughs that you think represent "useful" ways to use the program? I'm doing my own research, but I know that when I was starting with Lightroom a long time ago that a lot of these guides are either straight up wrong, or more interested in super-specific functionality explanations.

But using the new Auto-Mask in lightroom is loving magic.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Corla Plankun posted:

the workflow that i've come away with as i'm learning is basically:
1. get the picture to look "normal" by
a. correcting the white balance and tint
b. adjusting the exposure, contrast, and blacks/shadows/highlights/whites until the details that you care about are interesting
2. deal with the remaining distracting elements by masking and adding blur or desaturate or even just under-exposure
3. optionally do art on it to re-grade the colors or add vignette or whatever if you're trying to get fancy

I grumble about Lightroom's ux design/churn, but Rawtherapee is a great example of how open source UX often default to making the user understand every dial and switch in the fighter pilot cockpit.

I know how to do all of the above in LR... but RT is impenetrable to me on first glance.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Any UI that isn't the one I've been using for the last 2+ years is going to confuse me. It's the nature of any tool with as many levers and options... like switching from Audacity for audio.

I generally liked some of the things Luminair was doing last time I used it... thought Darktable was _fine_ in a GIMP sort of chunkiness. (If Lightroom CC hadn't fixed so much so fast, I think I would have made the leap in the transition away from Lightroom Classic.)

I just want to know how a Rawtherapee workflow looks from a high level (where the program overall fits) as well as how you approach working with the bundled tools and why.

I lean pretty hard on my presets that I've built, bought and stolen throughout the last 15 years... which makes rebuilding a new process even scarier.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

PokeJoe posted:

Took a mountain pic

Nice, what mountain? And are you gonna print it? That feels like it would look cool as a custom sized wide print, but I don't know how you'd go about getting that done in a cost effective manner.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Dangit... now I need to find my tripod head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Wonderful moons.

Beeftweeter posted:

here's one from my pentax q7 using an adapter for mft lenses (25mm, absolutely no idea what the equivalent is lol)

kinda neat how you can tell the other one was taken in new york and this one in florida, to the southwest

e: fix

Beeftweeter posted:

egh finally. man i really need to organize my library

supermoon (85 mm)

also, this is important: don't forget to turn off autofocus. do it manually before you shoot, and use a remote if you can

never have I enjoyed being mooned more (hashtag, justacethings)