Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

quote:

I've tried for almost two years now to convince people to wear at least N95s, and while some people are receptive to published safety standards a disappointing percentage just get mad and point at CDC's guidance that people strap just about anything they can find across their faces as evidence that wearing actual PPE is crazy.

The CDC’s guidance does not say this.

quote:

Anyway, I've basically given up on convincing people because the effort is usually wasted and tends to result in highly emotional backlash.

It could be that you are misrepresenting the CDC guidance and that they noticed the misrepresentation. Or they just don’t want to buy and wear reusable half-face 3M respirators. They are affordable, if you wear N95 level protection at all times, but most people do not, and they’re not exactly kind to various hairstyles and looking “normal.”

Personally, I just wear bulk-purchased KN95s from a company sample-tested by the NPPTL and keep a backup supply of surgical masks in the car. I know it would be cheaper to buy and wear a half-mask 3M reusable respirator, but it looks pretty absurd and is contrary to uniform expectations, whereas N95/KN95 is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

piL posted:

More data and better studies can help us refine these normative positions and make more convincing arguments. I've personally landed on buying a bunch of KN95 masks and reusing them. But the reason I landed on that was mostly tied to that act being easy enough--if I couldn't find them couldn't afford them, wasn't willing to take them from the market, then I might pursue cloth masks like I did in the first several months of the pandemic. If had unlimited money and no concerns, I might keep a stockpile of hundreds and change several a day--I'm fairly certain that my strategy was heavily based on access, but unless I intentionally acknowledge the bias, I'm likely to justify it post hoc with all sorts of reasons.

Yeah basically. I got a 100-pack of KN95s and wear them a couple days each. I wore mostly cloth masks on deployment back when supply chains were worse and mail was sometimes on hold for several weeks. When there were bad breakouts we’d maybe get a medical N95 issued and be told to wear it for weeks, until it literally fell apart.

Otherwise, I avoid public spaces, eat out never (pickup/delivery sure), and I have a collection of over the top 3M gear for going to potentially high-density crowd locations if I have to.

I also self-test after anything resembling a scare and all travel now that tests are more available.

So collectively, I’ve spent maybe 4-500 hundred dollars on PPE and tests, which I think is worth it, but it isn’t nothing!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Midjack posted:

I've had a couple of 3M half masks and a generous supply of p100 carts for years used for airbrushing my little robot models, but work prohibits masks with exhaust valves so I'm in fabric and disposable hell with everyone else 9-5.

That too. Exhaust valves are a no-go.