Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
Problem description: It's tough to say really what the problem is. Websites will display broken image links, or broken HTML, or sometimes refuse to load with a MAC error. Game clients such as Steam or Battle.net will refuse to load friends lists. Xbox PC currently won't download any games, displaying an error 0x00000001 immediately after clicking the download button. Discord drops in and out (not often), I can't login to my Microsoft account to play Minecraft. It's just a hodge-podge of garbage network errors that didn't start with one thing. It has just sort of deteriorated over time, and finally came to a head this afternoon. Trying to load any website at all took 3-5 refreshes. Game clients refused to connect. All culminating in my decision to wipe the system and start with a fresh wipe of the HDD, only to find the problem still occurring, though much less frequent.

Attempted fixes: So starting from the beginning, I was having network issues, which i diagnosed as something wrong with the onboard LAN adapter. I installed a 2.5gb PCI-E network card (hardlined, I keep this PC on wired), and everything seemed to be fine. When this problem started rearing it's ugly head, I did the following:
Reset all network adapters, tried multiple cables, replaced the router, tried hardlining into the modem, tried the same port with a different PC. This allowed me to rule out the router/modem/cable from the problem.
Then I started with CMD changes, such as /flushdns and reset the TCP/IP. These did nothing. There is a lot I tried other than these things, but I just can't remember

Recent changes: Not before the issues started popping up. I now have a new network card and router, but aside from that, nothing I can think of.

--

Operating system: Win10 Pro 64bit

System specs: Ryzen 3900x, 32gb Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2tb m.2 drive, GTX3080, 850w PSU, Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570
E

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Didn't see anything in the FAQ that I either haven't tried, or pertained to me

I'm also willing to pay for help if someone really wants to dig deep on this one and figure it out because I'm about to start pulling hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, I have a laptop and wife/kids have phones/tablets etc. Everything else is fine. I ended up doing a total wipe of the PC and a fresh windows install and I'm still having this issue. I also bought a Wifi-6 PCI-E card for the PC, and although it is better, it's still happening pretty frequently. It's as if something in the hardware, probably motherboard, is messing with my connection in some way. I just cannot for the life of me figure out what it could be.

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004

Zogo posted:

Does the Ethernet cable go over any area that could have interference? It's possible you have a batch of bad cables. Have you verified the cables work 100% on another machine?

It's also possible for the LAN port to be failing but it seems highly unlikely since you've tried adapter cards.

PS Might as well make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

First, thanks for the suggestions. I have used a few cords, including one brand new out of the box. Interference would be unlikely since I have the same problem wired or WiFi. LAN port failing was my original thought, but the PCI-E card and WiFi card showed the same results. BIOS was out of date but i updated it a few days ago.

Thanks again for the suggestions!