Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The initial 7 PC release a billion years ago was my first FF game (and arguably JRPG) but I never got very far in it due to constant crashes. I played the PC demo for 8 and wasn't impressed back then so let it lie.

Years rolled by and people routinely would say that 8 was the worst FF game and Spoony's horrifying review came out and I kept sitting on it. Finally the PC re-release on Steam hit and I figured for ten bucks I should try it.

This is now the first and only FF I have beaten. I intend to play the others but so far have not. I played this about five years back, enjoyed it well enough, and very much enjoyed the draw/junction system. That said I never really got a good grasp on it I guess because I'm reading all the posts in this thread on how you could easily break the game over your knee with it and have no idea how. Similarly I think I only ever drew for magic. I also usually despise card games in RPG's so I literally have never played a single hand of 8's card game and don't know the first rule. Hilarious to find out apparently that's a major avenue of progression in this one.

Also, I literally don't remember any of the story or characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have, in fact, never been there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I did not even play the tutorial for TT in my playthrough. To this day I don't know anything about it or how it works. I loving hate tacked on RPG minigames so I'm glad it was 100% optional and you didn't even need the tutorial match.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not literally obviously. But pazaak, caravan, even loving gwent, no thanks. I'm here for the main RPG, not a side card game diversion.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If gwent is so good maybe it should get its ow.... Oh huh. Well now if I ever want to play gwent I can intentionally do that instead of install a 90 gb game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Started FFIX last night and it's a perfect loving example. The rules to its card game are minimally explained at the start of it and I promptly lost every beginner match to where the game told me I couldn't play anymore. Cool, I likely never will again.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As someone who played blind and has no intention to replay in the near future, can some link some guides on just how to break the game and how broken it can get? Y'all talk about being able to turn the game inside out and break all of it but I have no idea about any of that and would love to see it and read the mechanics behind it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But it did have mandatory snowboarding and submarines and motorcy--

I figure if the mandatory card poo poo is deep into IX I will have accidentally accrued enough cards to brute force it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I had forgotten that one. Even the parade was kind of fun.

Did 8 have any timed button press mini games or sequences? 9 had a stage sword fight at the beginning.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Rooney McNibnug posted:

VIII has "Squall! punch and block the Galbadian paratrooper!" and "Laguna! Block and slash at the very real dragon with this prop sword!"

Boy do I literally not remember these events.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I forgot there's a limit break where Rinoa fires her dog at the enemies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8gaMmwaEM0

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I agree it's better but the visuals just aren't quite as funny as a large dog mounted on the wrist.

Just read the plot synopsis of this game and not only have I forgotten like 90% of it despite playing it only 6 or so years back, but loving what?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The only way to truly defeat evil is to have a good childhood and never forget it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This line of Googling is how I learned you can devour Rinoa and get a game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you want the fun-ruining answer it's because creatures devoured give permanent bonuses.