Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I think when I was a kid, my imagination filled so many gaps in this game. I enjoyed the story and setting much more than 9 somehow.

The story is nearly really, really good but has so many... "wat" moments when I played it again a few years ago. It's weird after 7 with a plot so polished it amounts to actual literature imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Their greatest error was not getting david hayter to do literally every voice

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I got most of the way through disk one. It isn't as weird as I remember but i think it falls apart more later on.

The fact that it is a story about a mentally ill child soldier learning to trust his friends completely passed me by when I last played it as a kid.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I think also I saw 17 year olds as grown ups when I played this game aged 11 or so. Some of them drive cars!

Playing it now, disk one climaxes with an army general with the resources of a continent behind him hireing bunch of teenagers to prevent the dictatorship falling to a coup plotted by a sorceress

Its loving bonkers

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

E: double post

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I was playing on an emulator and managed to destroy my save files before I could progress to disk 2. I might try the remaster instead if I can ever be bothered to go through disk 1 again.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

someone says they are playing an all monster hockey team at some point

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

What are fate ghosts I don't remember that

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

She did nothing wrong!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I wish they had spent 2 years on it instead of 1.

It was more compelling than 9 in a lot of ways. It deserved getting more fleshed out.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

They could have balanced triple triad a bunch, making many more cards behave like the player/gf cards and only available later in the game and/or from specific people.

All the mechanics have basically been added with little to no balancing.

It doesn't really matter though. If you want a "harder" playthrough you can just ignore card-mod and even if you do, combat in final fantasy games tends to be so easy except for optional bosses it largely serves as a distraction from discovering the world through NPC dialogue which is the real draw of these games.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I am not sure about this but... with "amnesia greens" you can remove a GF ability... I think that they can't learn it again once you do that but I am not sure.

It's card mod that really breaks the game. Refining magic from items isn't as wild and saves grindy magic drawing.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I got completely stuck with the boss at the end of the missile base on my first playthrough when I was 9 or 10 years old.

If I remember you don't get to choose your team then and they were all the team members I hated so were super low level, but squall, rinoa and whoever else isn't there I used all the time so they were much higher level.

I guess that there's a level scaling thing the boss did that made it go up to the average level of the party which might have been 30 or something but i was fighting it with a bunch of level 10 people. I can't remember if I ever beat it - I think I did - or just started again.

I definitely had no idea the level scaling was a thing. I might have gotten squall up to a stupid level at the start of the game. I liked exploring and grinding.

I remember being stuck there for so long that the bit after when there are monsters all over balamb garden was the most EXCITING THING EVER

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

i don't remember that bit at all. I thought there was even less point to the ff9 card game than the ff8 one.

FF7 wasn't in any way worse for not having one

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

But it did have mandatory snowboarding and submarines and motorcy--

I figure if the mandatory card poo poo is deep into IX I will have accidentally accrued enough cards to brute force it.

All those games were :five: especially the condor tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I did some googling to confirm it; apparently during the Adel fight, Quistis can devour Rinoa to permanently gain 10 HP. Unfortunately that’s also an immediate game over.

How would anyone know it was a permanent 10hp? :eng101: