Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
FF7 had a simple, intuitive character building system. Materia were easy. A child could understand that each shiny rock lets you do something different. Even if you didn't put together ridiculous combos, you could have fun with it. Outstanding for an RPG that was many kids' first.

This was immediately followed by FF8 with a poorly explained mess of a system that required you to forget everything you learned about how Final Fantasy works. No equipment, leveling up is bad, and spells make you stronger somehow. And if you do figure it out, you can shatter the game.

And let's say you're an idiot like me who got through most of the game not really understanding junctions but relying on GF for damage. Surprise, here's a boss where using GF is a very bad idea! Yeah I got stuck there.

Lots of unrealized potential in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Also read Cool Ghost's LP of the game, which explains the story better than the actual game. So much important info is missable if you want to have any idea of what's going on.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like the 'levelling up in FF8 is bad!' is overblown. Outside of a few enemies (T-Rexaurs, Wendigos, Ruby Dragons), enemies don't really scale up that badly as you level. Several of them get a few nastier moves, but none of them get oppressively more difficult, and things like Malboros will screw you up no matter what level you are.

You can avoid EXP if you want, but just killing things normally isn't a death sentence, and really, FF8 is one of the easiest ones regardless. Bosses like Adel which make you do something different are almost refreshing.

I'll rephrase: relying on leveling up to get stronger is bad. You gotta junction.

The Adel fight coming so late in the game that you were probably permanently screwed if you hadn't been junctioning properly is a big part of what irked me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

tote up a bags posted:

As a kid I thought fighting back through Balamb Garden to help out my bro Cid fuckin kicked rear end.
Watching all the students fighting the Galbadian soldiers absoloutely ruled.

Unfortunately it turns out Cid is a terrible person who did not deserve your help.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

There's some frame rate issue in the remaster that makes the gunblade trigger much harder to use than the original.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Relying on GFs for damage is a fine strategy until the first boss on Disc 4, st which point you'll be screwed if you've mostly ignored junctions like teenage me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Harrow posted:

You are required to play the card game a little on like disc 3 of FFIX but you can also just throw every match and the story will continue just fine

You have to win two matches but can lose the third.