Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been grouping with a friend as she goes through ARR, and tonight we reached Shiva and I accomplished something I think is pretty cool

https://twitter.com/regy_rusty/status/1528210437577359360

Meanwhile, I decided on some Iced Tea.

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I recently made the push from diamond to crystal and the complete lack of warriors in my games was a surprise, they've really fallen off in popularity compared to a week or so ago. However whm is just as common and bs as ever so I'm not sure how they're B on that tier list

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
not sure what bard brings to be that high but I figure that rpr being able to fear everyone off the crystal matters.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
BRD brings a permanent 5% damage boost to their party (lasts 30 seconds, has a 20 second CD), another 5% boost for 10 seconds tied to the first's 20 second CD and a third damage boost of 10% on their LB which also fills their team's LBs quicker. Their LB takes forever to charge, though.

That's all in addition to a Silence, a Bind and a bonus Purify they can throw on anyone, either preemptively or in response, that reduces damage taken and increases healing taken when it activates.

Their burst isn't incredible, but tied with the Silence is not too difficult to pick off someone at range that's around 30-45% health without help.

They do their best damage from a decent range, though, so they're often not on the Crystal and possibly separate from the party. It's easy to get tunnel vision and miss the dive or flank, and they're very squishy if caught off guard.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeruel posted:

not sure what bard brings to be that high but I figure that rpr being able to fear everyone off the crystal matters.

A bard that knows when to use the silence will be responsible for a ton of kills, even if they don't get the credit for it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ziddar posted:

Meanwhile, I decided on some Iced Tea.

:dadjoke:

Lol owns

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Gunbreaker is the worst overall because you can get completely hosed by not having access to the best junction. Nothing else even belongs in D tier.

Zeruel posted:

It's decent, but less useful than you'd think. Once OT starts there's enough time to just walk back onto it unless it's combo'd with Dancer LB.

You can also play around it pretty easily by just not having everyone stand on the point at once like a bunch of idiots. Which, conveniently, is the also counter to like half the things in the game.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 22, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Onean posted:

BRD brings a permanent 5% damage boost to their party (lasts 30 seconds, has a 20 second CD), another 5% boost for 10 seconds tied to the first's 20 second CD and a third damage boost of 10% on their LB which also fills their team's LBs quicker. Their LB takes forever to charge, though.

That's all in addition to a Silence, a Bind and a bonus Purify they can throw on anyone, either preemptively or in response, that reduces damage taken and increases healing taken when it activates.

Their burst isn't incredible, but tied with the Silence is not too difficult to pick off someone at range that's around 30-45% health without help.

They do their best damage from a decent range, though, so they're often not on the Crystal and possibly separate from the party. It's easy to get tunnel vision and miss the dive or flank, and they're very squishy if caught off guard.

i wish in pvp you could affect people in your alliance with stuff like that and not just in your party, it's way too easy to end up with a full lb in a clutch fight in frontlines but your party is dicking around over in doma when you're trying to hold points in seal rock

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

And standing in the right spot to get stepped on.

Is it a spot or does she pick a person to step on? Whenever I solo it for cat book points she always appears over me no matter where I am

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it a spot or does she pick a person to step on? Whenever I solo it for cat book points she always appears over me no matter where I am

She picks a person at random.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ll have to see if I still have it, but I used to have a screenshot of me frozen mid elusive jump.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Zeruel posted:

If you crunch the numbers, BRD LB is worth about 24k-ish potency on an entire party over a burst pattern of about 5 GCDs (which is a pretty reasonable TTK); that's only less than half the duration of BRD LB, not including the LB boost and the Haste effect, and not assuming others are also using LBs. 10% boost on that long of a duration and easy to apply AoE compared to debuffs is really strong as an LB. 24k-30k is about what other LBs are balanced around and BRD LB can be worth more than double that without much effort.

The main issue with it is that it's not burst, so you can't use it to snipe kills unlike other LBs, but considering that's only over 5 GCDs, that's not that huge of a dealbreaker.

Other than that, BRD has strong utility and strong sniper potential (oGCD Silence is hell of a drug). Their main weakness is lack of point damage while on point and kind of mediocre DPS overall, but given how tanky stuff is in PvP, dropping some personal damage is not a huge deal. Most well-known PvPers pretty much put BRDs anywhere from solid to slightly below top tier, depending on who you ask.

RPR is basically a snowball class, and thus, its ratings kind of vary wildly amongst a lot of people. The gist is that with the LB buff they got in the last patch and their innate LB boost, they LB ALL the goddamn time, provided you can get repeat kills. On the flipside, they're bad if you can't achieve that. Thankfully, during the LB, you do have the tools to do so, but it also requires some team support to help setup for you because your LB isn't THAT strong, and without an LB up, you're pretty awful. It's basically a class that requires a lot of effort and dedicated play, but the reward IS there and people have demonstrated that it's possible in a solo queue environment. Some rate them poorly, some rate them solid or slightly above that, it's really hard to get a good grasp on it.

It's worth keeping in mind that the higher you go, the less it becomes about random burst and more about either synchronized burst (with CC) to prevent defensives from getting used OR, in cases where that's not possible, sustained damage. Many classes with more extended damagepatterns become more viable in higher tiers simply because defensive timings and peeling become better so burst classes can't randomly snipe kills by unloading on people unless you have the CC to back it up. Whereas in lower ratings, part of the issue with PvP is that the server tick rate makes defensive play very non-intuitive, so you get people unable to Guard or Purify in a way that makes sense.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 22, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’ll have to see if I still have it, but I used to have a screenshot of me frozen mid elusive jump.

Turns out I was frozen in a lot of ways back in ARR, and I grabbed screenshots.

Ok, this is technically stone, but we start our journey in T7.

There's also fun in Syrcus Tower.

And now some Shiva action (mount farming back in the day). I should have cropped these. :effort:

And finally, one where she stepped on me while I was mid elusive jump:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Woo! I swear I was in gold for eternity.

A first for me! helped that I already owned the shirt and pants. Just needed to buy the shoes with wolf marks and wristlet with poetics.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
All this talk of why Bard is good and no mention of Warden's Paean?

The meta is to chain-CC a target and burst them down. Paean gives a giant middle finger to that plan, and as long as you see it coming you don't even need to be precise in timing - Paean will stick on the target until the first CC comes along, then nullify it and grant a bigass healing buff. It's both challenging to execute, since you have to be reading the game flow correctly, and nigh-invisible to other players, but telling the meta tactic to gently caress off is a huge deal. It also works alongside a burst strat of your own, since you can slap it on your diver (like a Dragoon) to make it harder to interrupt their burst. Again, it's totally invisible to everyone not paying incredible attention while still being game-changing.

Between Paean and silence, a Bard who's good at anticipating the flow of the match can put a giant thumb on the scales without appearing to do anything at all.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
and that proves bards are the devil

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Even before getting into all of that, Repelling Shot alone can downright gently caress whoever decided to overexert and get too close to your group

Bard is absolutely nowhere near close to the worst PvP class atm. And you will definitely get some very good snipes off at max range. Plus, Final Fantasia-fueled crystal pushes can be outright game-determinative, even if it isn't super obvious at first

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They did a really good job making every pvp job pretty viable from what I’ve seen. It’s all silly good fun.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If anything I’d say the PvP job that requires someone the most to be on the ball is Monk. You can be halfway decent and still do a good job as a Dragoon or Ninja or WHM. However, whenever I see Monk it’s going to either be someone who has no idea how to hit their buttons and does absolutely no damage and they got blown up multiple times, or they’re top of the damage chart. I rarely see something in between. I was surprised to see Monk so high on that list but maybe they made it under the assumption that a top tier player is playing it. Or JPN Monks are better at the class, because I’ve rarely gone “oh yay I have a monk”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Monk is a lot of fun. You can punt people off cliffs and dump people on their heads over and over.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Monk is a lot of fun. You can punt people off cliffs and dump people on their heads over and over.

Eh, yes and no. There's still obvious balance problems but it got it closer than most other pvp games do so credit where it's due I guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Black Stones posted:

If anything I’d say the PvP job that requires someone the most to be on the ball is Monk. You can be halfway decent and still do a good job as a Dragoon or Ninja or WHM. However, whenever I see Monk it’s going to either be someone who has no idea how to hit their buttons and does absolutely no damage and they got blown up multiple times, or they’re top of the damage chart. I rarely see something in between. I was surprised to see Monk so high on that list but maybe they made it under the assumption that a top tier player is playing it. Or JPN Monks are better at the class, because I’ve rarely gone “oh yay I have a monk”

My general experience playing monk in PvP has been trying and failing to CC and close distance to my target because server ticks say they're halfway across the map from where I saw them when I hit my buttons, then getting blown up from 100% to nothing because I'm out of position and server ticks said I didn't fire off any of my defensive/healing cooldowns in time. :v:

But on the other hand, at least my catgirl Terry Bogard cosplay is on point.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
What is the best PvP job for someone with bad reaction speed, poor decision making ability and vulnerability to information overload?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

What is the best PvP job for someone with bad reaction speed, poor decision making ability and vulnerability to information overload?

PVE

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

White Mage probably. Just mash all your buttons and hit the big stun button and you'll probably do okay if not great. Obviously better if you time your stuff properly but that applies to every class.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Probably Machinist, just stand way back and shoot dudes and run away/mash your self-heal the instant someone gets in your face

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Monk is quite good, because a skilled monk is really hard to kill and will solo someone on a regular schedule. It's not quite ninja-tier unkillable but it's up there.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yo this reaper in CC is tanking better than gunbreaker wtf

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Sage. Put Kardia on yourself or a tank, pick someone, shoot them with Toxicon and Eukrasian Dosis and then just lasers until they're low and you Icarus -> Phlegma them. Pneuma groups, use Toxicon 2 whenever it appears. Put the Thunderdome LB down on the Crystal when everyone's at it and be the hero of the hour.

ETA: More specifically, Icarus lets you repair movement indecision, while having no healing spells but having healing effects on DPS spells makes it easy to contribute the full force of your role without having to juggle "do I use support or offense" questions, since they're the same thing. The only information you need to keep track of is Limit Break (which everyone does), if Toxicon 2 is up, and general cooldown management of charged abilities (which, again, everyone does). If you Kardia someone else you may want to notice if they're dead so you can switch it but honestly Kardia on the self does just as well.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 22, 2022

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

hazardousmouse posted:

yo this reaper in CC is tanking better than gunbreaker wtf

Well reaper is a tank in disguise while gunbreaker is a dps in disguise so...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scholar is a lot of fun if you have support brain without a lot of "insanely good" or "critical reflexes" or "very aware", as just being very diligent about using your stuff around your party(heal anybody, spread it) and DoTs on crowds(poke in, DoT, spread, immediately dip out) doesn't require an ounce of big 1v1 thought and tips the scales. +10% damage on your guys, -10% damage on theirs, constant health/mp drain. You can have a lot of impact while learning meta actions(i.e. when to fall back, when to be aware you're about to be overrun or pinched, etc), you get to cheat and take top damage in most FL maps if you're consistent on DoTing on cooldown, and you do have a boatload of impact even if it's unseen.

4k shield + -10% damage done by enemy + defensive measures percentages + a well placed LB can save a lot of people from the dreaded 100-to-0 burst. Definitely a better feeling of slumming and farming in FL than CC though but either way you don't need amazing gamer skills. You can often just heal yourself, position well and spread and the LB is a very generous circle that casts spells outside the initial AoE graphic.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Pvp gnb is a weird kettle of fish, you basically play to survive until you can wombo combo your lb + rough divide/ double down on the crystal and do nothing of note until then. You have no CC, no innate defense (ironically probably the squishiest job) unless you junction tank, which you give up a ton of damage to do and basically shouldn't, but you also want to draw frequently to get more hypervelocity.

Its awkward but you get to make big hero plays with your lb every minute and thats satisfying

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

wereboat posted:

Its awkward but you get to make big hero plays with your lb every minute and thats satisfying

Can't believe they modeled GNB PVP after me playing FF8 as a kid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give GNB a move that can force people into Triple Triad matches.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Twibbit posted:

Woo! I swear I was in gold for eternity.

A first for me! helped that I already owned the shirt and pants. Just needed to buy the shoes with wolf marks and wristlet with poetics.

Hey, if finding out this stuff for yourself is fun....completely ignore this post, but on the FFXIV reddit, every Friday there's a poster who posts the complete solution for every Gold Saucer fashion thing. Here's an example of their post. I think the poster goes by Kaiyoko Star.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/utppae/fashion_report_full_details_for_week_of_5202022/

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Madmarker posted:

Hey, if finding out this stuff for yourself is fun....completely ignore this post, but on the FFXIV reddit, every Friday there's a poster who posts the complete solution for every Gold Saucer fashion thing. Here's an example of their post. I think the poster goes by Kaiyoko Star.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/utppae/fashion_report_full_details_for_week_of_5202022/

As a corollary to this, they're also the sole definitive guide poster for the fashion report, to my knowledge- so there's often a noticeable jump in sales for any marketboard-tradable items they list.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Dinged 90 on WAR this evening. :toot:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/JoeZieja/status/1528024810223128576?t=97zAxYXaF-bLHtVooQkocQ&s=19

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I notice nobody contests Dancer being at the bottom, that class trained me like Pavlov's Dog to avoid it. All the downsides of Bard, twice the work, half the impact. And a LB that trains everyone to focus you to 0 immediately for low impact CC.. oof. I guess the fantasy and theme is cool but that's it.

What's the game plan for pvp Ast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I notice nobody contests Dancer being at the bottom, that class trained me like Pavlov's Dog to avoid it. All the downsides of Bard, twice the work, half the impact. And a LB that trains everyone to focus you to 0 immediately for low impact CC.. oof. I guess the fantasy and theme is cool but that's it.

What's the game plan for pvp Ast?

Just hang out giving incremental advantages to your team. Macrocosmos does damage in an AoE, puts a buff on your nearby teammates that stores damage they take, and then you pop it again for a heal based on the stored damage. Use your cards on cooldown. Using double cast correctly is the hardest part. If someone is getting focused, your heal + double cast is a big heal + shield, Gravity is a small AoE heavy, but the doublecast is a snare. if you have to use doublecast on Malefic, it at least refunds part of the cooldown, but you don't do very much damage.

LB reduces damage your enemies deal, increases damage your teammates deal, also the spell effect is huge and flashy and can distract people.

The longer you live, the more your team wins, because you're just constantly throwing out heals, making LBs come up faster, buffing your teammates. You're not usually a high priority target like WHM so you don't get focused a lot.