Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I checked and the only thread I could find on scriptwriting is this cool Script Frenzy challenge, where you attempt to write a 100 page script during the month of April. However it's not going to be April for a while yet so I thought we could do with another general scripts thread. Leng's OP is extremely thorough so I'm just going to borrow a bunch from it.

Leng posted:

Getting started

The Producer's Perspective
Run by Ken Davenport, who is a big name Broadway producer (e.g. Kinky Boots, plus many, many others). There are some useful blog articles (like how to write a one person show in 30 minutes). He also runs a 30 day script challenge where you sign up for a mailing list and it will email you exactly what you're supposed to be doing on each of those 30 days. This is the program I'll be following. Here's a summary:

Freshmen Screenplay
How to write your screenplay in 30 days or less

Script writing software
All of these will format your script for you, hassle free:

HorseHeadBed posted:

Might be worth adding Highland 2 to the list of software above. I found it's got just enough features to be useful, but not bogged down like some other applications. The thing that's actually made me stick with it is having notes and script in the same place. Perhaps this is just a Fountain thing, but being able to map out beats and scenes on the page, write them underneath, and then not have the notes in the final document (but still there for you to refer to onscreen) has clicked with me in a way the whole "Index Cards" thing never did. It's Mac only for the moment, but iOS is supposedly on the way.

EDIT: Updated to add in more resources from the screenwriting thread (and the one before it) that's now dead, what everyone's working on and some FAQs.

Twisted Perspective posted:

There are lots of good articles here: http://www.scriptmag.com/

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Oh cool. I didn't realize there was a new screenwriting thread, such as it is. Hope things pick up here again. I'm trying to write more seriously and it would be nice to post about projects and resources here. I just can't bring myself to go to Reddit or wherever the gently caress.

The initial Nicholl Fellowship notifications went out yesterday and I made the first cut. I'm pretty excited about that. It feels like a huge validation after spending the last couple of years wondering if all this time and work was being wasted. Did anyone else enter this year?

I realize this is big time thread necromancy, but here are a couple of good sites I use to find scripts to read and study. I figure it's the first page and this is a common request. Scridx was a favorite that I used to recommend a lot, but they seem to have shut down.

https://scriptslug.com/ - This is a nice site with a growing number of new and old scripts. Good looking too, especially compared to the typical PDF dumps you find.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/table.shtml - This is a list of links to scripts being hosted around the web. More old stuff, but a nice selection.

Also, Rian Johnson's site has the scripts for Brick, Brothers Bloom, and Looper available for free download. These are awesome and great examples for formatting and super-economical writing that is still interesting and vibrant. I think these scripts are some of the best to study, regardless of your level of experience with screenwriting. http://www.rcjohnso.com/

Here are some other promising sites I haven't checked out much.
http://www.simplyscripts.com/movie-scripts.html
https://www.raindance.org/scripts/ - The aforementioned PDF dump. Has some TV material in it as well.
https://www.scriptreaderpro.com/best-screenplays-to-read/ - A list of suggested top scripts to read in various genres.
http://www.imsdb.com/ - A script database. Decent selection, but I don't really care for the format. Scripts are shown inline on the page and don't appear to to be downloadable .

I've had luck making connections on New Play Exchange, it automatically alerts you when a script you have is eligble for submission. It's geared more towards traditional theater, but with the pandemic there's a fair number of virtual opportunities too. Here's my profile, if anyone else is on NPX and wants to swap reviews I'm available.

For readings, one of my friends holds a biweekly virtual get togethers, if anyone wants to take part let me know and I'll PM you the info.

Aside from that, has anyone been writing any kinds of scripts lately? Comic? Podcast? TV/Movie? I've been having a lot of fun doing 10 minute stage comedies, right now I'm working on getting six together to release as an ebook. I'm also starting on the second episode of a sci-fi serial, the central idea is that the culture of all the human-colonized planets is extremely influenced by whatever TV broadcasts happened to be floating by when they were colonized. So of course the first episode features a rockabilly planet.
I did just finish the first draft of a 30 minute spoof of harem anime that I'm looking for reviews on.

ok OP over. Now you post.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, cool thread. I'll pester people to come post in it. I know we got some screenwriters around here.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Lists of Lists of Contests
Stage Play Contests:
American Association of Community Theater's Master List
TCK Publishing's List for 2021 Note these have some International opportunities for folks in far-flung foreign parts like "britain"
Screen Craft Dot Org's "Stage Play Writing Competition" (this is a list of just one contest)

Screenplay Contests:
Screencraft Dot Org's Master List Of Open Contests.
This site has a list of 14 noteworthy contests

I guess there's a 2022 podcast competition too? https://writers.coverfly.com/competitions/view/screencraft-podcast Open to scripts from unproduced podcasts.

boston podcast players has a really good list: https://www.bostonpodcastplayers.com/playwritings-opps

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 13, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yay, a new scriptwriting thread! Thanks for picking up my dropped ball from the script frenzy thread. I'm full steam on trying to finish my NaNoWriMo novel right now so I don't know when I'll get a chance to come back to writing more shows but I'll be following with interest!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Sweet. New thread. I've been on a writing screenwriting break for all the usual not-good-enough reasons. I'm itching to get going again though. I'm going to maintain my standing offer to read and provide notes for anyone who cares to ask.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Leng posted:

Yay, a new scriptwriting thread! Thanks for picking up my dropped ball from the script frenzy thread. I'm full steam on trying to finish my NaNoWriMo novel right now so I don't know when I'll get a chance to come back to writing more shows but I'll be following with interest!

Good luck with your novel! I'm definitely going to try Script Frenzy this year.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Sweet. New thread. I've been on a writing screenwriting break for all the usual not-good-enough reasons. I'm itching to get going again though. I'm going to maintain my standing offer to read and provide notes for anyone who cares to ask.

Honestly now is a fine time to take a break from anything. I haven't met anyone who isn't struggling. Would you be willing to take a look at a 10 minute Zoom comedy? It's an Aliens spoof.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Honestly now is a fine time to take a break from anything. I haven't met anyone who isn't struggling. Would you be willing to take a look at a 10 minute Zoom comedy? It's an Aliens spoof.

Absolutely. I’ll try to look at it tonight after work. Where do you prefer to get notes? I can post here or shoot you a PM or email.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Absolutely. I’ll try to look at it tonight after work. Where do you prefer to get notes? I can post here or shoot you a PM or email.

PM is easy! And I'll review something of yours too if you'd like!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Been enjoying swapping script reads with PK. Had some conversation as well on networking and that's something I wanted to put out to the rest of the thread for more feedback. Networking is one of the hardest parts of this whole thing for me. I don't live in an area where there's a built-in community of screenwriters or filmmakers to hook onto and Reddit and similar places are radioactive to me. That's one of the reasons I'm always hopeful that threads here will get rolling in earnest. I'm curious what other people are doing to connect with talented and like-minded people. Any resources that are helpful?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Been enjoying swapping script reads with PK. Had some conversation as well on networking and that's something I wanted to put out to the rest of the thread for more feedback. Networking is one of the hardest parts of this whole thing for me. I don't live in an area where there's a built-in community of screenwriters or filmmakers to hook onto and Reddit and similar places are radioactive to me. That's one of the reasons I'm always hopeful that threads here will get rolling in earnest. I'm curious what other people are doing to connect with talented and like-minded people. Any resources that are helpful?

as stupid as this sounds, the reddit screenwriting discord (and subreddit) has produced a pretty solid lead for me already, someone messaged me out of the blue familiar with my stuff already. https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriting/ and r/producemyscript seem like good places to at least start.

Meanwhile, more crypto fanfic, this time South Park flavored: https://www.wattpad.com/1170653356-cartman-the-crypto-baron-the-dawn-of-the-crypto

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

It's awesome to have a hub for resources and screenplay chat, thank you PHIZ.

My new-years resolution this year is to get back into morning pages, a habit I once had but have sadly let lapse. I need some steam to finish a feature languishing in half-done limbo and writing 2 exercise pages ever morning will help, I know it.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It's awesome to have a hub for resources and screenplay chat, thank you PHIZ.

My new-years resolution this year is to get back into morning pages, a habit I once had but have sadly let lapse. I need some steam to finish a feature languishing in half-done limbo and writing 2 exercise pages ever morning will help, I know it.

Morning pages? What are those?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

leekster posted:

Morning pages? What are those?

The first and most important exercise I was taught in play and screenwriting, the first daily warm-up. And it's simple: write X pages first thing in the morning.

Every morning of a day you plan to write, start your day by filling two pages, minimum, with anything you want, as long as it's formatted like a screenplay. That's what you're exercising, is the format, and getting your brain into a scene->sequence->element pattern of thinking, understanding dialog swing, etc. Dramatic structure running-in-place. You could do this exercise for any structured writing, poetry, fables, etc, but this one is for stage directions and dialog.

Morning pages can be, ideally, you hopping out of bed and getting two pages of the scene you're working on already done, and wow they're done before breakfast, hooray good job superwriter, keep it up.

Or, they can be me spitefully banging "I hate writing" on the keyboard over and over with my nose, and then grumbling as I format it into dialog and action lines and there, FINE, there's my 2 STUPID morning pages, *spit* I hate it waaah.

Either is acceptable. They're just free exercises, you can delete them immediately or save them as notes and fragments for other projects, never know what scrap will be useful. Either way it helps break up obstinate writer's disease with great reliability, and has helped me crunch through daily page counts I could be happy with myself about in years past. That's what I'm after in 2022, I want to log some hours and add one or two good feature-length scripts to the stack. All it will take is discipline, and exercises should help.

As will camaraderie! A happy new year to us all, I look forward to writing with you!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Morning pages are a big one for me, I tend to get distracted by House Chores the minute I step into the kitchen. I will say, I had a chance to read one of NObodyNOWHERE's scripts over the holiday and it had a fascinating take on time travel, one I hadn't read before.
Also, my King of the Hill spoof is the #1 Bitcoin-themed story on Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/story/295209976-bobby-hill-the-crypto-baron/rankings So that's kind of funny.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I've been working as a Script Consultant the last six years or so. I think writing every morning is pretty solid advice, but imo, editing regularly is just as important and is something a lot of writers avoid like the plague (which is understandable, because it can suck).

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Chipping in just to confirm to myself as much as anything that I'm actually working on a screenplay and not just loving around. (I mean, I am loving around, but you know what I mean.) Bought the Syd Field Screenwriter's Handbook in a charity shop and working through a chapter a day. It's the first proper attempt at screenwriting I've done in many a year. I suspect that the Syd Field approach is possibly unfashionable now, but having an actual structure to work through is helping me, as I have a tendency to think I know it all already.

Might be worth adding Highland 2 to the list of software above. I found it's got just enough features to be useful, but not bogged down like some other applications. The thing that's actually made me stick with it is having notes and script in the same place. Perhaps this is just a Fountain thing, but being able to map out beats and scenes on the page, write them underneath, and then not have the notes in the final document (but still there for you to refer to onscreen) has clicked with me in a way the whole "Index Cards" thing never did. It's Mac only for the moment, but iOS is supposedly on the way.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Calico Heart posted:

I've been working as a Script Consultant the last six years or so. I think writing every morning is pretty solid advice, but imo, editing regularly is just as important and is something a lot of writers avoid like the plague (which is understandable, because it can suck).

Hey, question on editing, how do I "remove the jokes that are already in the script" without "adding more jokes"? Strictly theortetically, of course. None of my jokes warrant deletion.

HorseHeadBed posted:

oooo thanks for the tip!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, question on editing, how do I "remove the jokes that are already in the script" without "adding more jokes"? Strictly theortetically, of course. None of my jokes warrant deletion.

The answer is I would need to read the script in question to get a feel for the tone and style. Sorry, I know that must not be very helpful but that's a fairly specific question and I can't think of a generalised answer I'd ever apply across multiple different scripts.

The most general piece of advice I can give you in this scenario is to soldify the tone of the scene in question in your head, along with the voices of the characters, and try to stay true to both in the editing process.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I Installed the Final Draft 12 demo this morning, thank you OP. And I wrote two nonsensical pages about an alligator-themed donut store. So far so good!

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I Installed the Final Draft 12 demo this morning, thank you OP. And I wrote two nonsensical pages about an alligator-themed donut store. So far so good!

That was cute and I want the gator to be my friend. Would buy donuts from this store.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

This is adorable and I was really expecting her to end up with like a dozen pickle and boysenberry doughnuts

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

This morning's pages turned into a corny horror pulp story with cliche-spewing background characters, hooray. Anything two pages long counts!

Does anybody else struggle with which elements to bold in action lines? I know to bold story-specific foley and visual FX, but also major set elements? I'm unclear on the best practices there.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Nice. These pages are fun. Good stuff. I've never been able to do daily pages, but I think it's really important to do SOMETHING screenwriting related every day to maintain momentum. It's just too easy for me to slip into the easy flow state and lizard brain dopamine hit that I get from video games and stuff.

If we're plugging software then I'm going to throw Fade In out there. I started off using Trelby because it was free and easy, but switched to Fade In after I got more serious with my writing. I'm super happy with it. It's very full featured, stable, easy to use, and an extremely reasonable price compared to Final Draft. It's constantly being updated and improved too. I can't really foresee any circumstances where I would switch to something else at this point.

Does anybody else struggle with which elements to bold in action lines? I know to bold story-specific foley and visual FX, but also major set elements? I'm unclear on the best practices there.

This is something I've spent a lot of time thinking about in recent years, but there still aren't any hard and fast answers outside of the standard elements that everybody knows about. I think these days you have more license to do whatever makes sense for your story and improves the read. The trend I've been picking up on in the scripts I read is using caps, underlining, italics and bold printing to emphasize things that help to visualize the shot. The Blade Runner 2049 script is a great example to look at for this. It's packed with passages that use formal elements like that to stay incredibly visual and active. It's verbally dense but still a good and smooth read, which is very hard to pull off.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Today I felt like writing a monologue about Radio Shack.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A road trip comedy scene entitled "loving Hell, Tommy"

I won't gum up the thread sharing these every day, but I'm really happy with how morning pages are going so far for me so I'm gonna try and do it all year. I'll share especially good ones now and then.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

A road trip comedy scene entitled "loving Hell, Tommy"

I won't gum up the thread sharing these every day, but I'm really happy with how morning pages are going so far for me so I'm gonna try and do it all year. I'll share especially good ones now and then.

:justpost:

Seriously, these are fun and whatever keeps things moving a little is totally fine by me. It’s hard to gum up a thread that gets posts only a couple of time a week.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

:justpost:

Seriously, these are fun and whatever keeps things moving a little is totally fine by me. It’s hard to gum up a thread that gets posts only a couple of time a week.

Okay! Today I sent a sitcom family to a mini-golf course

This is the kind of scene I can't help but wonder am I stealing any of these jokes and just not realizing it? Several of them could very well be unconsciously copied from actual shows I've watched, but if so it's unintentional. Is there like a Tineye for jokes?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Since I did a monologue recently, today I thought I'd try a physical comedy scene that's got a bunch of actions.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

This thread came along at just the right time. I'm a writer up in Boston and I've been feeling pretty discouraged lately, what with my wife and I hating the idea of living in LA or NYC.

Most of what I've written and had produced so far is scripts for podcast sitcoms (True Tales of the Illuminati, Wizard Seeking Wizard, a few others) and sketch scripts, but I'm starting up with morning pages and trying to get a spec together this year.

Is this totally futile without moving? Maybe! But it beats not writing at all by a mile.

Edit: I also need to finish writing the pilot for my genetically modified Sasquatch/David Bowie hybrid audio sitcom "Starsquatch."

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 7, 2022

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

This morning I was in the mood for some peplum (but then, I'm really never not in the mood for peplum).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
BFM I like your morning pages!!

Strange Cares posted:

This thread came along at just the right time. I'm a writer up in Boston and I've been feeling pretty discouraged lately, what with my wife and I hating the idea of living in LA or NYC.

Most of what I've written and had produced so far is scripts for podcast sitcoms (True Tales of the Illuminati, Wizard Seeking Wizard, a few others) and sketch scripts, but I'm starting up with morning pages and trying to get a spec together this year.

Is this totally futile without moving? Maybe! But it beats not writing at all by a mile.

Edit: I also need to finish writing the pilot for my genetically modified Sasquatch/David Bowie hybrid audio sitcom "Starsquatch."

Well hey there Boston Buddy, have you done any work with the Boston Podcast Players? https://www.bostonpodcastplayers.com/ I have some scripts for a sci-fi spoof I started writing at the beginning of the pandemic, I've been thinking of pitching them. If anyone wants a funny read, here's Starship Angelique: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhMVyc0AS_3uRNlj8iuNc1RvcgNyFEsv/view?usp=sharing

Ha ha it's friday and I have assigned you all homework! enjoy

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

BFM I like your morning pages!!

Well hey there Boston Buddy, have you done any work with the Boston Podcast Players? https://www.bostonpodcastplayers.com/ I have some scripts for a sci-fi spoof I started writing at the beginning of the pandemic, I've been thinking of pitching them. If anyone wants a funny read, here's Starship Angelique: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vhMVyc0AS_3uRNlj8iuNc1RvcgNyFEsv/view?usp=sharing

Ha ha it's friday and I have assigned you all homework! enjoy

I have not worked with them! I basically work as my own production house for Wizard Seeking Wizard and for True Tales we record down at the Bridge Sound and Stage with our cast and hire a sound designer etc etc. I'll have to get in touch with them. I'm kind of loath to let my babies out of my control-freak grip, but it'd be worth it to not have to produce and promote everything myself.

I'll take a look at Angelique this weekend, I checked out your notes at the top about the cultures and I enjoy the conceit already.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Today: something waffle.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A trip to the superzoo

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Strange Cares posted:

I have not worked with them! I basically work as my own production house for Wizard Seeking Wizard and for True Tales we record down at the Bridge Sound and Stage with our cast and hire a sound designer etc etc. I'll have to get in touch with them. I'm kind of loath to let my babies out of my control-freak grip, but it'd be worth it to not have to produce and promote everything myself.

I'll take a look at Angelique this weekend, I checked out your notes at the top about the cultures and I enjoy the conceit already.

Hey I'm reading the transcripts for Wizard Seeking Wizard and this is hilarious, it's such a perfect setup and execution every time. If you end up making more I'd love to be a part of it. Also, somewhat related to True Tales, do you know Worcester has a chain of vegan eateries run by the Supreme Master Ching Hai cult?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey I'm reading the transcripts for Wizard Seeking Wizard and this is hilarious, it's such a perfect setup and execution every time. If you end up making more I'd love to be a part of it. Also, somewhat related to True Tales, do you know Worcester has a chain of vegan eateries run by the Supreme Master Ching Hai cult?

Those places serve good-rear end food, as do the Sai Baba cult eateries. I lived near a Loving Hut in SK and it was a godsend.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Thanks so much, I have a lot of fun writing those. At some point I'm planning on a second season, but it's a ways off. I use a big open-submission form for new wizard dating ads and then select from those the pitches that seem like the best fit for the show. So I will definitely post that here when the time comes!

I did not know about the secret society of eateries, but that is extremely cool and funny.

Starship Angelique is good, my favorite part was the second act VR bar hangout session. You should stage it, maybe with The Riot Theater over in Roslindale? They do regular zoom performances of plays, and they're usually looking for content.

A sketch about wonderful bon mots

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Today I wrote a western card-game scene, which is probably full of anachronisms, I did not bother to check the timeline between the Spanish American War and player-pianos. Whatever, morning pages!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Those places serve good-rear end food, as do the Sai Baba cult eateries. I lived near a Loving Hut in SK and it was a godsend.
Thanks to this site I now exclusively associate the name Sai Baba with dragon dick furry porn.
I forgot to mention, the restaurants all have multiple TVs broadcasting Supreme Master TV, which will frequently feature these extremely elaborate stage plays, full of poetry written by the Supreme Master themself. It's... An experience.

Strange Cares posted:

I did not know about the secret society of eateries, but that is extremely cool and funny.
Starship Angelique is good, my favorite part was the second act VR bar hangout session. You should stage it, maybe with The Riot Theater over in Roslindale? They do regular zoom performances of plays, and they're usually looking for content.
A sketch about wonderful bon mots

Thank you! That VR scene predates Facebook's Metaverse hysteria by several months, and now I'm wondering if it feels dated. I sent off an email to Riot, I'll let you know if I hear back! That's exactly the kind of organization I've been looking for this whole nightmare, thank you again!

I loved the script, their voices are perfect. I hear them like a hybrid of Julia Lous-Dreyfus in Christmas Vacation and the mom from Schitt's Creek. Just a really great character sketch, I really felt that bit about how much of polite society is just a muzzle on animal lust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Today I went to retro space for laughs, inspired by my good friend PHIZ KALIFA and soviet scifi movie night.