Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
I think you'll find Insigne is very tiny actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Backdoor Delivery posted:

I think you'll find Insigne is very tiny actually

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sebastian Blanco is currently in talks w/ several MLS teams as he's a free agent and had a front row seat to the team loving over Valeri.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its gonna be funny when insigne gets old and fat and is making 12mil a year and scoring less goals than jozy did

or maybe he'll bang in 30 a year. both seem equally possible

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

He will obviously be assisting many Belotti goals, so that the 14 million a year is worth it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

Belotti goals

Not entirely sure these are real tbh

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Hi thread, how good is James Sands

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/ben_fred/status/1478751731882369024?s=21 Does anyone know anything about this guy, and/or if he’s any good

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Total Meatlove posted:

Hi thread, how good is James Sands
Last year he was consistently highly competent in MLS, to sort of a boring degree. He didn't really bring that to the national team when he got the chance in the Gold Cup, especially in the knockout rounds against Qatar and Jamaica where he was frustratingly mistake-prone. By the end of the season in MLS though I envied what NYC had in Sands, he was very consistent for such a young player in his position.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

BelovedWebPatron posted:

Last year he was consistently highly competent in MLS, to sort of a boring degree. He didn't really bring that to the national team when he got the chance in the Gold Cup, especially in the knockout rounds against Qatar and Jamaica where he was frustratingly mistake-prone. By the end of the season in MLS though I envied what NYC had in Sands, he was very consistent for such a young player in his position.

Is he more of a DM or CB? Lots saying he's coming through as a midfielder?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/ben_fred/status/1478751731882369024?s=21 Does anyone know anything about this guy, and/or if he’s any good

Yeah he was the assistant coach for NYRB under Armas and took over as the interim coach once they let Armas go and before they got Struber, he stayed as an assistant when they got Struber. Hard to say too much about his tactical impact as the Red Bulls have a pretty tried and true way of playing and he didn’t rock the boat very much, but the subs he made and when he made them seemed logical and the players seem to like him. I think he’s a solid hire.

Total Meatlove posted:

Is he more of a DM or CB? Lots saying he's coming through as a midfielder?

Yeah I think given a preference he’d rather play in midfield but NYCFC consistently stuck him at CB because their other options on D were a bit spastic and he added some semblance of stability. Solid but boring is probably a fair description, but when you’re defensively inclined that’s probably a good thing.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 5, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think Sands should do fine in Scotland - some mls/usmnt fans are a bit cranky he isn't moving to a bigger league, which eh whatever. He's a solid versatile player, I think his future is likely more at CB than in the midfield but could see either.

The US manager Berhalter is higher on him than a lot of fans and has not been shy about throwing him into important spots even at his age and relative inexperience - he'll likely be in the mix for the national team and could even make a potential world cup roster.

I'd guess he would look to move to one of the bigger European leagues in a couple years if things go well, but this seems like a pretty appropriate level for him right now. He's a young defender and that always comes with some mistakes, but he's not raw by any means. Given its a loan and there isn't a fee upfront, seems like a nice get for Rangers.

on the CB vs CM thing, it depends on the system some - he's very good at long passes out of the back to open up a defense (i think among the best in MLS at this), so if you want a more modern CB who can do that, he is good for that. I think he works best as a CB in a back 3 where he can get forward more.

edit: Speaking of, this is apparently a done deal

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1478805351885643781

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 5, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/novy_williams/status/1478782675020300290

That ends that saga.

e: for $400,000,000 :eyepop:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 5, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Hachi machi. And that's one of the smallest teams in the league to boot.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

aside from other u.s. teams, blitzer owns part of crystal palace, augsburg, and a belgian team. Wonder if this leads to another club pipeline between mls and various european teams.

MLS valulations are basically growth stocks at this point

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/david-blitzer-smith-entertainment-group-to-purchase-real-salt-lake-x9626

quote:

The acquisition by Blitzer and Smith includes Real Salt Lake (MLS), Real Monarchs (MLS NEXT Pro), Rio Tinto Stadium and all related soccer assets in both Sandy and Herriman, including the Zions Bank Training Center and Zions Bank Stadium. Blitzer and Smith also obtain ownership of the RSL Academy and its local and regional youth affiliates.

That $400M figure looks like a bargain actually. I forgot about all the ancillary stuff that DLH (:byewhore:) owned to go with the team proper.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Most importantly, Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith is the co-owner so we can finally put all of the rumors about the team moving to bed.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Well the expansion fee for Charlotte was $325MM right? So this doesn’t seem totally out of whack when you consider this also includes real estate and an operating entity that is already up and running.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

Well the expansion fee for Charlotte was $325MM right? So this doesn’t seem totally out of whack when you consider this also includes real estate and an operating entity that is already up and running.
I mean....yeah. An MLS stadium, a pro sports training complex, a D2/D3 stadium, another training center, and an elite-level soccer academy with its own school. Those things alone would be worth tens of millions of dollars.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Looking forward to the Salt Lake City City FC rebrand

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

By way of comparison: https://twitter.com/MarkKleinmanSky/status/1478339293596770306

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

And even better:

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1478314179295690757

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

a bunch of quebecois influencers (a fuckin oxymoron if i've ever heard one) threw a big sexy party on a plane to mexico and now they all have covid and all the canadian airlines refuse to fly them back and they're stuck there indefinitely, and one of those influencers is apparently ex-impact/cmnt player anthony jackson-hamel lmao

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

1. Hey, I recognize that name
2. lol
3. :canada:
4. lol

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the gap between MLS valuations and bigger teams in europe is pretty straight forward: lack of relegation, controlled salaries, and lack of existing debt. MLS teams at this stage are a much much safer investment financially and have a ton of potential upside longterm.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

I commend the league for keeping the eMLS flame alive

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

MLSers called up for USMNT January camp

No friendlies from this camp because the WCQ are so close, hence the friendly vs. Bosnia last month.

Ugh at seeing Jackson Yueill's name.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

No friendlies from this camp because the WCQ are so close, hence the friendly vs. Bosnia last month.

Him and Roldan have both been good when playing for their clubs, and terrible when it's for the country.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hmm, not an actual striker but at least it's another attacking option. Looks like one for the future though.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/colorado-rapids-sign-brazilian-attacker-max-alves

Also looks like they're out to corner the market on Aboubacars after trading a fat sack of GAM for Keita from Columbus.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 6, 2022

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

whypick1 posted:

Good to see DeJuan Jones and Brooks Lennon getting looks in this one. We have so many quality fullback/wingbacks at the moment that they're both far down the list for potential callups but they were both very good in MLS last season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dwayne Wade, who owns a small part of the Jazz with Ryan Smith, has decided to join Smith in buying part of RSL.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status/1479586812649746433?t=9-INkQOpzUhzhp0LD56Nfw&s=19

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Lorenzo.

:allears:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How do you say it’s a bloody big deal in Italian?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

tanta roba eh

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

holy cannoli

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Some reports that Facundo Torres to Orlando for 10mil is done

Idk why hes going to Orlando either

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/alex6ixsports/status/1480209752483377154?s=20

that was fast

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the man got his contract, now he can fully break down.

Supposedly Houston (!) is paying 6 million (!) for this paraguayian striker

https://twitter.com/RobertoRojas97/status/1479835844567515144

I've obviously not watched any of him play other than that one nice clip going around of him scoring a goal but i'm very encouraged to see Houston's new owner splashing out some cash, and that it appears to be on a younger player and not some washed up attendance draw. Maybe the Dynamo will actually be watchable again in the near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Charlotte about to make a profit off a player who never suited up for them: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/report-charlotte-fc-transferring-midfielder-riley-mcgree-to-celtic-fc