Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Timby posted:

Conan would sooner chew off his own testicles than get into business with NBC again.

Derp, didn't even think of that angle.

Timby posted:

The long-standing rumor is that the EP job is Seth Meyers' if he wants it.

Nice and safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Meyers oversaw the downfall of Update, so a big “meh” from me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone officially ever said anything along the lines that it will be an ex cast member? Those are the only names I ever tend to see in the conversation, and it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
And while I’m at it: why did they memory-hole Cecily as an update anchor?
:crossarms:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

And while I’m at it: why did they memory-hole Cecily as an update anchor?
:crossarms:

She was in the WU montage on the Kennedy Center Honors broadcast last night

Speaking of, it sure would be swell if the Kennedy Center would put complete segments on Youtube.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has anyone officially ever said anything along the lines that it will be an ex cast member? Those are the only names I ever tend to see in the conversation, and it doesn’t make much sense to me.

I don’t get it either. It strikes me as as unlikely as when Dana Carvey was rumoured to succeed Letterman back in ‘93. Higgins seems most suited for it, considering he’s been in a producer capacity for 25 years, but... he may be too aged. You don’t want an old dude replaced with anot

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 24, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
My money is on Higgins, he’s been behind the scenes in a producing role for so, so long.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't he also the guy responsible for jars of piss in the office when Tina Fey showed up? The guy sounds horrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is that what the sun tea episode of 30 Rock is based on?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh yeah, tonight’s regular repeat is Jason Sudeikis with Brandi Carlile. No Vintage this week. Here’s the schedule for the rest of the break

Regular
01.01: Kieran Culkin with Ed Sheeran
01.08: Jonathan Majors with Taylor Swift

Vintage
01.01: Eddie Murphy with Lizzo (OAD: 2019.12.21)
01.08: David Alan Grier with Silverchair (OAD: 1995.12.09)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

What!? That can’t be white...I mean white...I mean right.

Seriously, if they snub Kenan for Meyers I will have no good thoughts.

I mean, I get your point, but Seth Meyers was head writer for years and is now host, head writer (I assume), and producer of his own Late Night show. Kenan is the longest running SNL cast member, and, as such, obviously has the writing experience, but doesn't have the other things going for him, so I think calling it a "snub" to go for Meyers over Kenan is an overstatement, in this particular case. Meyers has experience running a show. This show, in fact, at least on the writing side, and he's since added producing to his credits.

Kenan is an Exec Producer on his Kenan show, but that's a bit of a different deal altogether being a sitcom (I haven't watched it), and hasn't been for that long at all. Though that is something.

Meyers oversaw the downfall of Update, so a big “meh” from me.

I don't know what you're talking about here. I loved him on Update. But taste being subjective and all...

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 28, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have to assume at this point there’s not going to be any January shows, maybe even February.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The_Doctor posted:

I have to assume at this point there’s not going to be any January shows, maybe even February.

I don’t think that’s a given at all. This seems to have been precipitated by an outbreak in the cast this week. They were able to run shows in the latter part of 2020 before anyone had the vaccine; I see no reason why they wouldn’t be able to do something similar here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Freaquency posted:

I don’t think that’s a given at all. This seems to have been precipitated by an outbreak in the cast this week. They were able to run shows in the latter part of 2020 before anyone had the vaccine; I see no reason why they wouldn’t be able to do something similar here.

Lots of things in New York are shutting down again. This is the only example I can think of off the top of my head, but the Rockettes had to end their season early. It's possible SNL will be one of the things in New York that is shut down for a while.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1475858721033134082?s=21

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish Joel or Mike was popular enough to host SNL.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tonight’s repeat is now the 2010 Betty White ep.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Whoopie. Would much rather have a rebroadcast of John Madden’s ep from 1982. Should save Betty White for a few weeks from now, or maybe—and this is a wild idea—not run it at all, since it has been played like 4 times already over the years.

Not at all surprised, though, that this ep would get played over an Ebersol show.

Could at least have switched out the Vintage for Madden, but nope, still the 2019 Eddie Murphy.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
What a weird loving reaction

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly it's weird to watch most of the SNL episodes. Especially the recent stuff. It's all on their YouTube, commercial free with an adblocker :lol:

Betty White's SNL skits are 10/10 and deserve to be played often.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

pwn posted:

Whoopie. Would much rather have a rebroadcast of John Madden’s ep from 1982. Should save Betty White for a few weeks from now, or maybe—and this is a wild idea—not run it at all, since it has been played like 4 times already over the years.

Not at all surprised, though, that this ep would get played over an Ebersol show.

Could at least have switched out the Vintage for Madden, but nope, still the 2019 Eddie Murphy.

Did Betty White steal your lunch money?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Besides Madden's show being a decent season 7 show in its own right, Jennifer Holliday burned the loving house down and I was really hoping to get to see this episode in pristine, non-potato quality this week, yet it was never apparently on the schedule. By contrast they have run White's episode 4 times including a Vintage and the original live airing, it was the Emmy screener DVD that season, and personally, I've watched it ~10 times and have it in multiple stages of quality and completeness, including 4 cut for time sketches that I grabbed off Hulu back when it aired and back when any idiot could easily save videos from Hulu. Never meant to upset the Church of Betty White, drat. EDIT: I almost forgot, this was the one episode of SNL I ever purchased off iTunes, mainly to get the complete credit roll. Sadly those DRMed .m4v files are impossible to do anything with.

As a token of goodwill, I've passed those cut for time sketches to That Week in SNL and they will be streaming on Twitch tonight, along with my HD live copy of the episode.

https://twitter.com/ThatWeekInSNL/status/1477751594557087748

So go in peace and enjoy the show.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 3, 2022

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1479196199467073541?s=21

Guess they’re going ahead with new shows, omicron be damned.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah sure why not.

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1479198368022806532?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1479196199467073541?s=21

Guess they’re going ahead with new shows, omicron be damned.

I know it’s a cliched joke at this point, but I legit don’t know who either of those people are.

edit: Ah, the host was in Hamilton and West Side Story, and is most famous as a singer/dancer I guess. That explains it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Fun fact: Arianna Debose went to preschool with me! We were buddies!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ariana Debose is delightful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgxhUlQIlJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tTd13F78w

RuPaul is a treasure

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I know it’s a cliched joke at this point, but I legit don’t know who either of those people are.

edit: Ah, the host was in Hamilton and West Side Story, and is most famous as a singer/dancer I guess. That explains it.

She was also in Schmigadoon on Apple+ with Cecily Strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39UCSfQwO8E

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lorne as a producer on it. This all makes sense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, okay, it's definitely on me for not knowing who she is. Looking forward to this Saturday now, thanks!

Also, drat you for making me watch James Corden. That's just rude.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I watched this episode tonight and god drat it this one owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3m4ZxcqS4

pwn
May 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, okay, it's definitely on me for not knowing who she is. Looking forward to this Saturday now, thanks!

Also, drat you for making me watch James Corden. That's just rude.

I was on the James Corden Hate Train for his first five years. I began watching when he started his Garage Shows early in the pandemic and was surprised by how much less annoying and, unbelievably, enjoyable he was without an audience. I was expecting to dip out when he got a crowd again but he’s managed to keep me watching, the bastard.

It’s impossible to show one segment or even a single episode to demonstrate the appeal. The ongoing familiarity with the crew and talent is the enjoyment. His desk pieces are generally lackluster-to-bad, but during the no-audience era the interplay between him and the crew came to comprise a large portion of the non-guest part of the show.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the grace period for someone whose job is to be appealing on television should be, ah, slightly less than five years. in my opinion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Not to go on, but Cordon is an absolute arsehole off camera. It’s basically why he had to go to America to keep his career going. No-one in the UK wanted to work with him.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Not to go on, but Cordon is an absolute arsehole off camera. It’s basically why he had to go to America to keep his career going. No-one in the UK wanted to work with him.

It's like not even an open secret. It was a huge joke for years that when you got off the bus from the midwest or wherever with your dream of coming to Hollywood, the first thing that happened was you heard a story about what a monster Ellen DeGeneres was. Corden is apparently the same.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
James Cordon taking a few years to find his feet: :dance:

Conan O'Brien: :catstare:

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/snlnerdsshow/status/1481366228346322945?s=21

Yes "shows" still exist of course they exist :shepface:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

and a new year and a new thread