Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
those games were kind of passion projects for CyberConnect2 who usually makes licensed anime games, they sold incredibly badly which is why they are worth $9001 resale these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for context cyberconnect2's specific passion is literally furries.

like apart from solatorobo and fuga they actually publish a magazine with that theme lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
games I didn't play or complete that I want to: Omori, Inscryption, NEO: The World Ends With You, Cruelty Squad, Psycholonials, Trails of Cold Steel III, Psychonauts 2, Hades, Blue Reflection Second Light, Tetris Effect (more of a "I should play this more" since idk if you can "complete" tetris), Overboard

a list of games i played for the first time (sorry, Quake) in 2021

Games I didn't really care for:
Gnosia:Ehh. I would have loved a pure VN with this cast ala Raging Loop, I think - once my levels got to a certain point, the Werewolf segments got rote with the exception of trying to get the last frustrating "survive with character x" things done.

Doom Eternal: A really fascinating failure - too much design. This tried to be a "Game designer's game" in terms of how many systems interacted with each other in this intricate loop, and they succeeded. The result was a game that was excessively fussy and required far too much micromanagement in a game which should feel more like flow, and less like an RTS.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions: FE# Encore
This should probably be in the top list which includes games that I bounced off of due to other things that grabbed me more, but this is like the fourth time I have tried this game. Once again I got like three hours in and hated it. I will be magatshui-ing anyone who says this is the "best Persona game" post-haste.

The entire library of the PS5
the ps5 has no games

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
I like Yakuza a lot. I like turn-based JRPGs a lot. Somehow this didn't work for me.

HM:
Fuga: Melodies of Steel
This game has a lot of significant problems - it starts out with a strong grim atmosphere that is abandoned for a bare-bones narrative, probably because the central conceit of potentially sacrificing main characters to beat bosses would have made a more strongly character-focused story extremely difficult to write. The turn-based combat was a bit simplistic, and as hyped as the "yeet the kids at the nazi dogs" cannon was, I never got close to using it. The core gameplay loop of riding a tank along the countryside and walking around talking with characters during intermissions, though, was addictive, and the game really is gorgeous (as long as you can tolerate kemono art/furries/nazi dogs). High on the "I wish this game had a bigger budget" list, though from what I gather it was more or less a passion project for CyberConnect2.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
"I played it for 200 hours and got bored" is a silly complaint but it's true. That said, I enjoyed so much of this to not give it an HM, and I do want to try the new DLC.

13 Sentinels:
Just a bit dry. I badly wanted to like this one, it ticked off so many boxes and should have been something I adored- maybe it's the localization or the gorgeous washed-out visuals but something about this just kept me at an arm's length.

The Best:
10. The Caligula Effect 2
The good idol-music based JRPG on the Nintendo switch. Favorite cast of characters in a 2021 game, bar none, which is actually saying a lot since I played 13 Sentinels, Deltarune, Persona 5 Strikers, and The Great Ace Attorney among others. It's clearly not as high budget as something like a prestige release from SE or Atlus, and it frays at the seams with stuff like the really bad sidequest design, but it has a lot of heart, some of the best music of any game I played this year, and one of the best localizations I've seen in a while.

9. Metroid Dread
This isn't quite in the top tier of Metroidvania titles I've played - unlike other Metroid games, I couldn't tell you a single thing about the setting of this one. The world simply doesn't cohere in the same way it does in something like Super Metroid, where I could tell you where each biome is in relation to the other. But aside from the relatively generic environments, this is a gorgeous, gorgeous game that plays wonderfully, has some of the best boss fights I've played in years, and looks astonishing for a Switch game. I always like the first party Switch games for really knowing how to push that little thing to its limit, and this is the best one since Luigi's Mansion 3.

8. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Would it be controversial to call this the best non-64-like Mario game? I know SMB3 and SMW are legends, and Yoshi's Island is my actual favorite, though not really a Mario game- but this is just perfect. Almost too perfect, actually - the levels are crafted so well that I do sometimes wish they had a bit more ambition, though it never gets to the Mario-by-the-numbers depths of like, NSMB:U or something. If you want ambition, though, check out Bowser's Fury, which is hopefully a great preview of the kind of stuff waiting for us in the next mainline Mario entry.

7. Persona 5 Royal
Persona 5 and Royal are heavily, heavily flawed games which have total messes of stories, mediocre localization, and pretty bare-bones JRPG combat. It's style over substance to the max. It's also my happy place game. Apart from Yakuza, I can't think of a game which just makes me happier playing it than P5:R, and the extra content in Royal is truly excellent- significantly moreso than the base game.

6: Shin Megami Tensei V
Put it this way - I'm really looking forward to the inevitable side-quel now that the game's combat and exploration systems are fully worked out.

5. Super Metroid:
Few things as nice as finding out that a game is exactly as good as the boomers say it is.

4. Persona 5 Strikers:
I expected a side game. I didn't expect a sequel that was far better localized, and had just as much character-based enjoyment as the first game. It started out a bit poorly but right when I was getting bored, the story ditched the P5-like formula and went on a road trip that defied expectations. Not to mention Sophia- one of those Pearl Fey-like characters which should be a disaster on paper (ok, it's an AI robot girl who gets inserted into the story who everyone in the game unconditionally loves) but worked wonderfully well in-game.

3. Deltarune: Chapter 2
You know why. Deltarune 1 was a fairly Toby-Fox-By-The-Numbers proof-of-concept that I liked more for its potential than the game itself- Chapter 2 was big, flashy, and promising, and showed that Fox isn't just going back to the old Undertale well that Deltarune 1 sometimes felt like.

2. The Great Ace Attorney
Few games were more anticipated by me than this one, and it delivered. The second half is the superior by a decent margin, but I haven't enjoyed Ace Attorney so much since the original trilogy, and it ends with one of the all time "eff you" triumphant courtroom moments in the entire series. Just about every case in the second game will be on my list of best AA cases.

1. Hollow Knight
where is silksong

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 29, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
huge toasts for the Raging Loop mentions :cheerdoge:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i calculated the results and congratulations on the great ace attorney for being goty 2021 you did it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I posted about it before but if you like character writing, Caligula Effect 2 had my favorite cast of characters in any game last year, and it was up against serious competition.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i got a 3ds last year so it's never too late

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

galenanorth posted:

I found Wheel of Fortune (2008) on archive.org, looks like it's one of those games where an old version is better than modern versions for phones because they stuff the app full of crud, and it takes up only 40 MB of hard drive space. The console version has Pat Sayjack but with the weird looking Mii avatars. Maybe I should've waited to post until I actually play it, but I also have a compulsion to hoard

you absolutely 100% should have posted Wheel of Fortune (2008) on the 2021 GOTY list

(i played the hell out of the 2000-ish one back in the day when i was a kid)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rarity posted:

1 point

The Caligula Effect 2 (Aquria)

hey i got on the "nobody's blues but my own" list

i love this game, and it has legitimately my favorite cast of characters in any 2021 game. the combat is a bit wonky, the sidequests are really undercooked and there's some jank, but the music and presentation is top-notch and i actually did get into the combat after some practice.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i just kinda winged it but i'm still happy with my list. i kinda wish i stuck Fuga as my #10 because that game needed more love despite the flaws i mentioned. the most broken characters are a pair of corgi twins. not a lot of games can boast that feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:gas: