Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

i'd say the main standouts this year are endwalker, cruelty squad, neo twewy, and racing lagoon

e; oh this is an effortpost thread. alright, i'll try and do that

5. Neo: The World Ends With You

All I really wanted after TWEWY was more of it, and NEO TWEWY delivers on that. They've kept the sort of hectic feeling that you had when controlling the game on DS, but made it easier to parse. The music is as impeccable as ever, and they've translated the aesthetic to 3D perfectly. The cast is excellent and it feels great to play. All around just an excellent time.

4. Fate/Grand Order: Atlantis

Morbid curiosity drove me to play a bunch of gacha games this year, and I ended up playing a lot of FGO. And that's because, after a couple of mediocre chapters at the start, the production staff gave creative control of the game over to the writing staff, at which point the game started morphing ever more into a lengthy action adventure pulpy sci-fi visual novel, with Lostbelt 5: Atlantis (released this year on the NA client) being one of the highlights of the second part of the game, only possibly overshadowed by Lostbelt 6: Avalon le Fay. Trying to describe anything that happens in these chapters comes out sounding like goofy pulp nonsense (driving a car into a parallel dimension whereupon you join Jason and a ragtag crew of Argonauts and have death defying adventures that culminates with Orion shooting Artemis out of the sky in a reversal of their original mythology). Emotionally though, they've written all the characters in a really likeable way and they all have good chemistry, and it's just an all-around great ride.

3. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

I haven't had nearly enough time for my thoughts on Endwalker to have settled yet, because there's a lot that it has going on and I only just finished it the other day. As Final Fantasy games go, it's one of the best. The confidence it has in wrapping up the events of FF14 makes me feel like they heard my complaints about KH3 and how much cooler that would've been if they'd just beaten Xehanort at hour 4 and then just kept going.

2. Racing Lagoon

As the nostalgia cycle moves from the late 90s into the early 2000s, and as the broader culture comes to embrace aesthetics that are rougher and weirder (see: cruelty squad), we get a translation patch for Racing Lagoon. Eminently stylish, boldly weird, this racing JRPG is pretty much everything I could want. It's got this neat sort of noir styling to it, with an extremely rad jazzy soundtrack and every cutscene exists in the PS1 prerendered background dimension and it just makes the whole thing an incredible experience to soak in.

1. Cruelty Squad

One of the biggest artistic trends of the last couple years has been a move towards the garish and the grotesque, with the counterculture embracing cruder and more broken, distorted aesthetics to try and capture how the world feels broken and wrong these days. You can see it in the games that come out of Glorious Trainwrecks, and in the way that memes are deep fried with heavy jpeg artifacting, and in the sort of rough copypasted aesthetic of Powerup Comics and a dozen other places. The world is a disgusting and gross place right now, and Cruelty Squad takes that feeling of the world being cruel and disgusting right now and dials it all up many more notches, while also being exceptionally fun to actually play.

Schir fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's rad that there's so much variety in what people are posting and that nobody feels confined to making a top 10 or whatever since what matters more than sticking to a strict format is talking about whatever games you thought were cool. Sometimes that's more, and sometimes it's less, and sometimes it's an older game that didn't come out this year, and that's cool too.