Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The state of the D&D covid thread is frankly embarrassing. It's not really salvageable at this point. Half of the thread is Twitter reposts and fighting over Twitter reposts. The rest of the thread is posting about posters. It's basically like reading a Twitter feed but on the forums. This is bad.

IMO the entire thread should be deleted and restarted with pound-you-in-the-rear end rules in the OP to at least attempt to improve its quality. This is a really important thread where, like it or not, many people are going for info and discussion about a global pandemic. It needs stricter moderation - and threadbans for some posters who just constantly make bad faith arguments or post about posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah, it just now got bad.

Just recently.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The state of the D&D covid thread is frankly embarrassing. It's not really salvageable at this point. Half of the thread is Twitter reposts and fighting over Twitter reposts. The rest of the thread is posting about posters. It's basically like reading a Twitter feed but on the forums. This is bad.

IMO the entire thread should be deleted and restarted with pound-you-in-the-rear end rules in the OP to at least attempt to improve its quality. This is a really important thread where, like it or not, many people are going for info and discussion about a global pandemic. It needs stricter moderation - and threadbans for some posters who just constantly make bad faith arguments or post about posters.

so uh, what exact kind of “rear end pounding” rules are you picturing op?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Is this the thread where people are taking advice from a game’s simulation or is that the OTHER thread full of doomer morons?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Cloaked posted:

The new covid thread will be for power bottoms only.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Posting a picture of a dog or cat as some kind of "tax" should be a permaban level offense

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rad-daddio posted:

Yeah, it just now got bad.

Just recently.

Idea: Keep the thread open but bury quarantine it three or four subforums deep under the gas chamber so that the doomers who wear industrial respirators to go shopping and have meltdowns over how it's made will keep away from the rest of the forums.

For everyone's safety.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 14, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

tao of lmao posted:

Is this the thread where people are taking advice from a game’s simulation or is that the OTHER thread full of doomer morons?

Yes op

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cloaked posted:

I mean if goons want to hook up for hot sweaty bear on bear anal play that's their business but it shouldn't be mandatory for all posters in the thread

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cloaked posted:

To start, Twitter embeds are banned, and posting about posters earns a 3 day probe, then ramp.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Close D&D

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:same: but unironically

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
rude, lot of prejudice against doomers itt. I get that most people like getting their information from people who are materially incentivized to convince you of a certain viewpoint, but personally I find the impotent yells of scientists who write these papers who aren’t really being listened to by anyone who can actually change things to be informative as well.

but obviously you can’t go grab a twitter rando and trust them, so performing the verboten art of posting a tweet and discussing it is useful sorry even if it’s mixed in with people spewing spite at the other people who choose to (safely) spread covid.

the d&d thread has the wikipedia page problem though where a few posters are self appointed authorities and get real excited when they get chances to shoot the messenger via technically correct condescension. rules won’t fix that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
"spewing spite" is a pretty good way to sum up that thread actually

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

"spewing spite" is a pretty good way to sum up that thread actually

They should wear masks so I don't get sprayed with covid spite.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Love a ramp

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tao of lmao posted:

Love a ramp

Sucks that the season is so short.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Make sure to soak them in several changes of cold water before you steam them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think the thread is fine and it should be left alone.

The main issue with the thread is that right now the pandemic moves faster than peer reviewed science, and the thread rules demand you adhere to peer reviewed science. This creates an environment where you can't talk about practical short-term issues. Luckily we already have a thread for talking about practical short term issues and that's the cspam thread.

I don't think its a problem to let people who want to talk about peer reviewed science do that. Let them have their space. Worst case scenario, maybe move it to science/academic subforum or rename it.

I think we should be very skeptical of anyone who says "this thread is full of people I don't want to post with. Please make changes so I can post there". That person just needs to understand that they already have the perfect situation; all the people you don't want to post with are in one easy to avoid place.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think the thread is fine, in that it's terrible and worthless, and that's fine because I have no intention of reading or posting in it. It gives the people who do nothing but create thread drama something to do away from threads with actual quality posting.

Stricter rules won't change that because the problem is that the rules are applied arbitrarily by dogshit mods anyway. I've already rarely seen D&D threads with modding as heavy handed as that one. Exactly what do you think probating more people will do??

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I agree it shouldn't be closed, but I do think that if you're going to have the caveat that you have to be relying on peer reviewed science and suchlike, rather than dealing with day-to-day issues of survival and extrapolating from readily available data like real world case numbers and whatnot, that yeah, it should be moved to the Science and Academia subforum, because it's clearly then a thread about discussing COVID from a strictly scientific/academic standpoint, rather than debating or discussing it as a political or practical issue.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Cloaked posted:

rude, lot of prejudice against doomers itt. I get that most people like getting their information from people who are materially incentivized to convince you of a certain viewpoint, but personally I find the impotent yells of scientists who write these papers who aren’t really being listened to by anyone who can actually change things to be informative as well.

but obviously you can’t go grab a twitter rando and trust them, so performing the verboten art of posting a tweet and discussing it is useful sorry even if it’s mixed in with people spewing spite at the other people who choose to (safely) spread covid.

the d&d thread has the wikipedia page problem though where a few posters are self appointed authorities and get real excited when they get chances to shoot the messenger via technically correct condescension. rules won’t fix that.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

oh my god who cares let the d&d covid thread do its thing so I don't have to see it elsewhere

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Just set like 80% of the regulars in that thread to ignore, problem solved

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

you should post this suggestion in d&d

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

I think the thread is fine and it should be left alone.

The main issue with the thread is that right now the pandemic moves faster than peer reviewed science, and the thread rules demand you adhere to peer reviewed science. This creates an environment where you can't talk about practical short-term issues. Luckily we already have a thread for talking about practical short term issues and that's the cspam thread.

I don't think its a problem to let people who want to talk about peer reviewed science do that. Let them have their space. Worst case scenario, maybe move it to science/academic subforum or rename it.

I think we should be very skeptical of anyone who says "this thread is full of people I don't want to post with. Please make changes so I can post there". That person just needs to understand that they already have the perfect situation; all the people you don't want to post with are in one easy to avoid place.

didnt read

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Whatever happens, please don't create another active shooter situation.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is a really important thread

premise for qcs complaint falls apart completely when you read this part

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

tao of lmao posted:

Love a ramp

how come we have the technology to put a man on the moon but i cant get delicious ramps at the grocery store

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

how about we just get together as a community and solve the covid problem once and for all. we can call it the "pog solution" named after me, the ideas guy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If people are stupid enough to consider the something awful comedy forums as an information source for a global pandemic then that’s on them.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

how about we just get together as a community and solve the covid problem once and for all.

what covid problem? everything is fine??

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DJExile posted:

If people are stupid enough to consider the something awful comedy forums as an information source for a global pandemic then that’s on them.

your right. smart people are getting their covid info from facebook and furries on twitter

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Loucks posted:

what covid problem? everything is fine??

Incredible ability to remove the joke, just amazing

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I think we should reboot D&D and CSpam as one forums. Maybe called general bull poo poo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm absolutely shocked to hear the DnD covid thread is bad.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I too hate it when people start trying to inform each other when institutions fail to deliver timely or accurate public health guidance. If you live a comfortable enough life that you've never had to rely on advice or other help from strangers (even if, gasp, they are on the internet), kindly gently caress off back to your mcmansion.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Peachfart posted:

Incredible ability to remove the joke, just amazing

:tipshat:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cloaked posted:

Yeah, I too hate it when people start trying to inform each other when institutions fail to deliver timely or accurate public health guidance. If you live a comfortable enough life that you've never had to rely on advice or other help from strangers (even if, gasp, they are on the internet), kindly gently caress off back to your mcmansion.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

got my diet on thanks to goons with spoons, im getting therepy in e/n, the goon doctor is checkin the mole on my back, and I’m styled to the nines thanks to YLLS. i need reliable information (and a heaping helping of lols) about the deadliest pandemic in a hundred years so its simply essential that the COVID thread filled with psychotic politics yellers be “tuned up”