Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In this thread we honor the memory of the casualties and veterans of the First and Second Flame Wars :zpatriot:

Let me tell you of Li'l Johny. Li'l Johny and I grew up in the same town and he never made much of a ruckus, but when the draft came he felt this was his big chance to prove himself. I never knew him much growing up but Li'l Johny and I became best of friends. We fought many battles together, and he would always rush to arms with his ferocious battle cry of "Laserbeams cannot penetrate navigational deflectors". Li'l Johny was one of the first over the hills over at Wolf 359, and for that he took a 200 gigaton blast of directed energy right to the face. I still think of Li'l Johny from time to time, after all these years. May his soul be at peace.

"I know not with what arguments Flame War 3 will be fought, but Flame War 4 will be 100% hatfuckers and cockgoblins"
- Albert Einstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Both franchises are high fantasy with a space theme rubbed all over. Only one of them has elves, though. :smug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
done, sphere, cube, or stately tetrahedron

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i'll never forget when the warsies deployed the ICS. point defense batteries with an output of two hundred gigatons per shot. li'l johny vanished, as did most of the continent next to him. "but that isn't reflected by the movies," we cried, "curtis saxton wrote this because he's mad about internet debates." it didn't matter. it didn't matter.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

An elegant debate, for a more civilized age.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i could swear i read somewhere that some nerd had gotten close enough to lucas to ask him "if a star destroyer fought the starship enterprise, who would win?" and his response was "ehh, idk, whatever makes for a better story"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

^ sounds like a typical Lucas interaction

Cease to Hope posted:

done, sphere, cube, or stately tetrahedron

in xanadu did kubla khan a stately tetrahedron decree,

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i could swear i read somewhere that some nerd had gotten close enough to lucas to ask him "if a star destroyer fought the starship enterprise, who would win?" and his response was "ehh, idk, whatever makes for a better story"

I think you may be thinking of Stan Lee.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Not that I was a popular kid and not that I avoided the attention of certain adult star trek fans but, I always found, "I'm more a fan of Star Wars than Star Trek" helped me avoid the worst of various technobabble bleating.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Doesn't matter. Both of them are dead now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

^ sounds like a typical Lucas interaction

Lucas is a drama nerd, and thus an order of magnitude above old style SciFi nerds

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Sending my love to those assholes over at star-destroyer.net. They were always right about everything, those dickbags.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Horizon Burning posted:

i'll never forget when the warsies deployed the ICS. point defense batteries with an output of two hundred gigatons per shot. li'l johny vanished, as did most of the continent next to him. "but that isn't reflected by the movies," we cried, "curtis saxton wrote this because he's mad about internet debates." it didn't matter. it didn't matter.

curtis saxton is literally a pro-colonialist

as in "we were a civilizing force and they were better off for it, the ingrates"

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 9, 2022

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Sending my love to those assholes over at star-destroyer.net. They were always right about everything, those dickbags.

Haha dam I was big on that in high school. The gigotons everything a gigatons

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

as in "we were a civilizing force and they were better off for it, the ingrates"

lol where did you see this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm friends with folks on fb who have him as friends and have seen him comment on poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 9, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

worf could beat the living poo poo out of chewbacca. its in no way a contest

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

That DICK! posted:

worf could beat the living poo poo out of chewbacca. its in no way a contest
But Chewbacca's crossbow blaster thing fires faster than 1 mile-per-hour TNG phasers.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Chewbacca and Worf would certainly engage in hand to hand combat and no matter who won it would engender a mutual respect. That is the way of the warrior.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lol Dukat

reignofevil posted:

Chewbacca and Worf would certainly engage in hand to hand combat and no matter who won it would engender a mutual respect. That is the way of the warrior.

Chewbacca and Worf hit Quark's after, the result is the stuff of epic Klingon poetry

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Have we ever seen Chewbacca engage in an honorable duel? Seems like he mostly uses his crossbow or backhand smacks stormtroopers into the walls

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I mean he's bound to Han Solo based on a sketchy wookie cultural artifact where if somebody saves your life you owe them a 'life debt' forever, so every time he threatens to tear a droid's arm off over chess it's because of his strong belief in maintaining his family's honor.

Edit- I guess I really don't know if this is still true now that Solo came out.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 10, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I have consulted the sages and Chewbacca is indeed in Solo: A Star Wars Story, which I have seen and did enjoy but cannot tell you what, if anything, Chewbacca does in that movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chewie and Han's relationship in the new canon is "hey we saved each other from the Empire, let's hang out".

Chewie is also canonically apolitical now, and only fights the Empire and First Order because it's what his friends are doing. He basically sees humans as pets, and doesn't give a poo poo because he'll outlive them all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Chewie and Han's relationship in the new canon is "hey we saved each other from the Empire, let's hang out".

Chewie is also canonically apolitical now, and only fights the Empire and First Order because it's what his friends are doing. He basically sees humans as pets, and doesn't give a poo poo because he'll outlive them all.

Aha! It says honor right there! He'd totally fistfight Worf!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It also says 'family', so you know what that means... three-way with Dom Torreto.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Worf would simply chop off his loving head with a Batleth. Worf is very political. He has rigged like 9 elections each time for the man he hates most

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

It also says 'family', so you know what that means... three-way with Dom Torreto.

if there's one character in film who could handle the wookiee dick, it's dom

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I don't see why Chewbacca would have hired a private investigator but yes, I agree that Dom would easily lose them in the streets of LA.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Robot Style posted:

Holy poo poo they made Chewbacca stupid and a coward in one fell swoop. Unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

chewie viewing humans as dogs is, at least, a welcome reversal from EU Leia treating him like her husband's stupid dog