Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sash! posted:

Somewhere I have a Tampa Bay Bandits team photo poster I got from a Tampa area Subway in 1985. Does it still apply as prior fandom for this Bandits?

If we all agree the ‘99 Browns are the same as the ‘95 Browns, we all agree that these Bandits are Burt’s own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

R.D. Mangles posted:

clayton thorson, motherfuckers

Ton of Clay, Son of Thor.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

Ton of Clay

Sounds like part of Aaron Rodgers’ COVID cleanse.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

surf rock posted:

Finally found a draft tracker: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/usfl-draft-every-pick-of-the-draft

1. Michigan Panthers: Shea Patterson, Michigan (loving goddammit)
2. Tampa Bay Bandits: Jordan Ta’amu, Mississippi
3. Philadelphia Stars: Bryan Scott, Occidental College
4. New Jersey Generals: Ben Holmes, Tarleton State
5. Houston Gamblers: Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
6. Birmingham Stallions: Alex McGough, Florida International
7. Pittsburgh Maulers: Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
8. New Orleans Breakers: Kyle Sloter, Northern Colorado

Inspirational

A funny combination of guys from the XFL/AFL, failed NFL players, and other guys I've never heard of before in my life. I guess the best quarterbacks from those leagues moved up; Josh Johnson, Garrett Gilbert, Logan Woodside, John Wolford, PJ Walker, etc. The guys who thrived in the AAF/XFL actually did quite well for themselves, pretty sure all those guys are on NFL teams now

but like, wjho the gently caress is bryan scott and ben holmes

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tampa took a guy that played in 44 games for Penn State and I barely recognized his name. There's a whole lot of "who?" here

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
my only guess is that Agents are really skeptical after being burned by the AAFL & XFL and are telling guys who could get deals playing elsewhere to sign elsewhere. That's why it's almost all unknowns.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Play posted:

A funny combination of guys from the XFL/AFL, failed NFL players, and other guys I've never heard of before in my life. I guess the best quarterbacks from those leagues moved up; Josh Johnson, Garrett Gilbert, Logan Woodside, John Wolford, PJ Walker, etc. The guys who thrived in the AAF/XFL actually did quite well for themselves, pretty sure all those guys are on NFL teams now

but like, wjho the gently caress is bryan scott and ben holmes

According to the link, Scott is the Aaron Rodgers of D3 football and also 26

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Paxton Lynch got drafted in the 12th round.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Scooby wright got drafted too. Remember Scooby wright

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Edward Mass posted:

I absolutely believe, without a shred of doubt, that Lynch is going to start over #1 pick Shea loving Patterson.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chucktesla posted:

Scooby wright got drafted too. Remember Scooby wright

no, not even a little bit. but count me a fan just based on the name

Edward Mass posted:

that's probably about right for him

from going 26th overall in the nfl draft to the twelfth round of the xfl draft. lmao

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
In fairness to Paxton Lynch, the USFL is drafting by position, so yes, he was picked in Round 12, that was the second round of QB Selections. The fact that he has by miles the best pedigree, the most pro experience of every QB and biggest name recognition of everyone picked so far and was the last backup QB selected says something. I mean he was picked after living legend Case Cookus, who was undrafted, signed as an FA by the Giants, lasted 3 months in the 2020 preseason, and this preseason spent 3 days with the Broncos, 3 days with the Vikings and 6 days with the Raiders.

Edit: I thought Lynch was in the CFL, which seems like it would pay more. Apparently the reason he's available is that he's unvaccinated and couldn't play in the CFL next season. Although he did just spend all of last season as 3rd string QB and never dressed for a game.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 24, 2022

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

It felt like the xfl had way more Guys To Remember at least even if they only had a cup of coffee in the NFL, the USFL has Shea Patterson and Pax aaaaand that's about it

E: Shawn oakman was on an xfl team. man

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 25, 2022

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Is Trent Richardson available

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

He's busy trying to make American football a thing in Mexico

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://mobile.twitter.com/juscarts/status/1498424398281326592

Smaller Potatoes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Larry Csonka. That's a name I haven't thought of since the last time I watched the MST3K episode with Rowsdower.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Glad to be rooting for the New Orleans Ice Cream Cones/Toothpastes.

https://twitter.com/USFLBreakers/status/1513584848358756357

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

This was how I learned there is a New Orleans team this year.

Also apparently they aren't playing in New Orleans? All the games are being played in Birmingham?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

This was how I learned there is a New Orleans team this year.

Also apparently they aren't playing in New Orleans? All the games are being played in Birmingham?

That’s what it looks like to me unless I’m reading this wrong.

https://www.nola.com/sports/article_ffb45880-b5c9-11ec-8cf6-0f0c0d298361.html

Why are all USFL games in Birmingham?

Even though the Breakers are listed as the home team for their opener, they'll be playing over 300 miles away from the Caesars Superdome. Each of the regular season games this season will be played at Protective Stadium and Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama.

The plan is to move many of the teams to their own markets in 2023, but there's a chance multiple squads may remain in Birmingham next season.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

Even though the Breakers are listed as the home team for their opener, they'll be playing over 300 miles away from the Caesars Superdome. Each of the regular season games this season will be played at Protective Stadium and Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama.

The plan is to move many of the teams to their own markets in 2023, but there's a chance multiple squads may remain in Birmingham next season.

My guess is either covid regulations or it's just cheaper.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm sure they've got their reasons, but it seems pretty hollow to have a "New Orleans" team that plays all its home games in Birmingham.

Rename every USFL team the Birmingham X. Birmingham Breakers

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure they've got their reasons, but it seems pretty hollow to have a "New Orleans" team that plays all its home games in Birmingham.

Rename every USFL team the Birmingham X. Birmingham Breakers

Well then it wouldn’t be the United States Football League, it would just be the BFL, silly.

Although if any state could probably support multiple home pro teams, Alabama would be up there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

New USFL just following "every start-up football league must have a team in Birmingham" to its logical endpoint

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Is that the Aqua Fresh Prince of Birmingham?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

unl33t posted:

Is that the Aqua Fresh Prince of Birmingham?

Looks like a sort of Frozone knockoff to me. Men T. Fresh is my preference of name.

What the hell is it with Philly and weird mascots?

https://twitter.com/USFLStars/status/1513584859264004106?s=20&t=NMUTI_NPE-0Qt75imI6gJw

Also, first game for the USFL is this Saturday.

https://twitter.com/USFL/status/1500819793334603776?s=20&t=QhSOtBZdAnG0P1effsF2qA

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 11, 2022

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

gently caress I can't even pretend to care about any of these cities. At least the AAF brought football back to San Diego which was kind of cool to root for.

Uhh go Philly beer gut aliens I guess

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Naming a team the Gamblers kinda gives away the game of what audience they want to reach with spring football

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

PostNouveau posted:

Naming a team the Gamblers kinda gives away the game of what audience they want to reach with spring football

All the cities and team names (And at a glance, the logos too) are taken from original USFL teams from ‘83.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To me it does make sense (if you're trying to be cheap) to have all the games in one location. Anecdotally I had heard too there was a big fear that there could be a hypothetical Covid spike back when they were planning the league so better to have everyone in a vague bubble location...again this was months ago. But of course it does make any location based thing like "I'm rooting for Houston" a bit moot.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The Gamblers have a better uni and logo than the Texans or Oilers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is it just me or do 5 of the 8 teams have effectively the same color scheme

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Docjowles posted:

gently caress I can't even pretend to care about any of these cities. At least the AAF brought football back to San Diego which was kind of cool to root for.

Uhh go Philly beer gut aliens I guess

Clearly you should pick a team based on their Head Coach. Big Todd Haley fan? Tampa Bay are for you. Need more Jeff Fisher in your life? Michigan Panthers for life. Big Amsterdam Admirals supporters from the NFL Europe days? Good news, their old coac Bart Andrus is Philly coach

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

forkboy84 posted:

Need more Jeff Fisher in your life? Michigan Panthers for life.

lol I forgot about this poo poo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

in what world is this not a toothpaste mascot. nothing about that looks like a wave

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Maulers guy should be called Steely McBeam (Second Shift).

Pirc
Jun 10, 2004

lol liqu0rz durnkz
Here's a podcast that breaks down all the USFL teams for fantasy and gambling purposes if you got some reason to care.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ultimate-usfl-preview-with-cody-main/id1236818554?i=1000557172438

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

forkboy84 posted:

Clearly you should pick a team based on their Head Coach. Big Todd Haley fan? Tampa Bay are for you. Need more Jeff Fisher in your life? Michigan Panthers for life. Big Amsterdam Admirals supporters from the NFL Europe days? Good news, their old coac Bart Andrus is Philly coach

I had an OG Michigan Panthers t-shirt as a little kid, so I feel they're a natural choice for me. Guess I have to root for some 7-9 (4-6??) bullshit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Everyone should root for Houston Gamblers superstar Clayton "Throw Son" Thorson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why do they keep trying this