Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I've always been curious about this, though not necessarily enough to really devote serious time to it. I am on board with however much of a mess this turns out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

I find it... harder to get into historical narratives unless they're very blatantly fictional, like the Count of Monte Cristo, and not afraid to just add in completely new poo poo that never existed and get a bit ahistorical at times. What kind of tack do these books take with that?

The Three Musketeers' depressed Spanish cousin.

Broadly speaking, history happens as it does and there are real people around, but Alatriste is among them in a "just off-screen" way - almost literally in one book where Alatriste returns to service in the tercios (and most importantly get out of Madrid because he's on some powerful people's radars), and he's mentioned as having supposed to be in the painting Surrender at Breda but is turned away so you can't see his face. The events of his life could have happened in the interstices of history. Perez-Reverte purportedly started the series to dig in to a period that was largely glossed over as a generic good time for Spain in his daughter's classes.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Hel posted:

Which is kinda funny because the impression I've gotten from the Internet is that Antarra is supposed to be this amazing forgotten gem and Krondor 2 is some lovely cash in. We now know the first part isn't true, so let's hope Krondor 2 is actually good.

Having played Krondor 2 through twice, with at least a couple extra aborted attempts, I wouldn't call it a lovely cash-in but I also wouldn't really call it all that good either. Fun in its weird way that still makes me itch to play it occasionally, ambitious but unrealized, and with its share of odd and not always good choices.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

And guess what! It got a novel tie-in, too! In fact there was even an interstitial tie-in novel set between Betrayal and Return!

And I've got both and will talk your ears off about them. :)

I've read the interstitial (a long while ago now) but never got my hands on the actual Return novel. I am eager to hear about it. In other words,

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

That was Betrayal in Antara, thank gently caress it's done and thank gently caress I can move on to games that are less shoddily designed and written.

Thank you for showing us this, and showing me why I should just not bother despite the idea that keeps popping up in my head once a year that I should give it a real chance.