Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Crisis averted. It turned out that a friend of mine had all the missing files archived on a harddrive.
Goddamn did that send some anxiety through my system before it got sorted out.

3 Years of sacrificing my life through brain damage going up in smoke because I hadn't thought about Discord not wanting to keep images stored forever...

Eesshhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Love the thread, but heads-up:

SerthVarnee posted:

So it turns out that there is an app available that does something really great for people with photo-sensitive epilepsy:

https://www.tumblr.com/gaycatrachel/706535884703547392/stillaliveiguess-ensoua-brain-buddies-there-is?source=share
REMOVE THIS LINK, the target isn't there any more and the tumbler "can't find" page I got the first time was almost malicious.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Oof that's a nasty surprise.

Further interesting catch-up with my neurologist, not only are the weird deja vu experiences auras, but the rising sensation is as well. I'd always assumed both were the actual seizures by themselves.

My description of "it feels different but I can't explain how" was met with "yes, we see this a lot, the difficulty describing the symptoms is what we're actually taught to look for" which is quite funny, in a way, seems that the Lacosamide is working though so up another 50mg I go on that.

Apparently it's possible that the auras may never actually be eliminated, which raises the question of how I'd ever know that it was just those and not a seizure if I can't tell the difference.

e: that said, the weird deja vu is different and is now more like "holy poo poo I've developed psychic powers and I visioned this!" than an intense flashback to a load of nonsense.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 3, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

REMOVE THIS LINK, the target isn't there any more and the tumbler "can't find" page I got the first time was almost malicious.

Holy poo poo, yeah, that's mean. For those curious but unwilling to click, it's a full-page, animated disco ball. I don't know why.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

For some godforsaken reason tumblr has had some selection of massively blown up low-res danger gifs for that page for years and it's never gotten better. I'm certain people have complained to them, they just don't care.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Holy poo poo, yeah, that's mean. For those curious but unwilling to click, it's a full-page, animated disco ball. I don't know why.
It's actually random. It was a full page quickly-animated MRI of a human head for me, which I assume is bad for those with photosensitive epilepsy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dirby posted:

It's actually random. It was a full page quickly-animated MRI of a human head for me, which I assume is bad for those with photosensitive epilepsy.

I reloaded the page and got a different annoying flashy background every time. As if I needed another reason not to go to tumblr!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Well that was a day to start the morning. Thanks a billion! Link removed.

Oh poo poo, now I know how TooMuchAbstraction must have felt each time he woke up and all we European and Asian testers said good morning in the following manner: "we found a new way to break your game! Oh man it is so wild, you gotta see this poo poo."

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 4, 2024

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Oof that's a nasty surprise.

Further interesting catch-up with my neurologist, not only are the weird deja vu experiences auras, but the rising sensation is as well. I'd always assumed both were the actual seizures by themselves.

My description of "it feels different but I can't explain how" was met with "yes, we see this a lot, the difficulty describing the symptoms is what we're actually taught to look for" which is quite funny, in a way, seems that the Lacosamide is working though so up another 50mg I go on that.

Apparently it's possible that the auras may never actually be eliminated, which raises the question of how I'd ever know that it was just those and not a seizure if I can't tell the difference.

e: that said, the weird deja vu is different and is now more like "holy poo poo I've developed psychic powers and I visioned this!" than an intense flashback to a load of nonsense.

The auras are those "I woke up an eldritch god and should really get around to running now" feelings right?

Because if you get those on just random times and just before a seizure, that is one hell of a way to replace caffeine with anxiety.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

The auras are those "I woke up an eldritch god and should really get around to running now" feelings right?

Because if you get those on just random times and just before a seizure, that is one hell of a way to replace caffeine with anxiety.

At the moment they're like a "I have not only seen, but been exactly here before talking about this exact thing, is anyone else noticing this?", before it was like an incredibly intense memory but for absolute nonsense. It feels different but in some impossible to describe way.

Same with the feeling of motion, it's different somehow. But what's weird is that I thought both of these things were the seizure, and if they're not then what was happening in the actual seizure part???

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Are other people with you when they happen? Do they notice you stopping and staring into space or anything? Absence seizures are a thing and it's very possible you're not really perceiving what's going on when you have the seizure itself, but your brain is very good at filling in the blanks, so you don't really notice it occurring. Obviously ask your doctor and all.

The deja vu effect is funny because I've had some meds give me POWERFUL deja vu even as someone who isn't photosensitive and just lurks this thread out of interest. That "oh god wait am I stuck in a time loop and I'm supposed to figure it out and do something different this time?" rear end deja vu. It's so disorienting.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
My housemate sits in the same room, but he is autistic, likes his music loud and our screens block our vision of each other, so technically yes, but actually no.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

To my knowledge nobody has ever noticed me having one, or nobody has mentioned it anyway. I actually had one while part of a whole group of people on skates and a)nobody noticed and b) I didn't fall over. I also definitely had one while in a conversation with someone and they didn't mention anything either.

When I've told my wife after the fact, she said something like "you talk differently but I only notice that because it's me". Weirdly she only told me that recently when I haven't actually had one for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well that was a good first day of the Games accessibility conference. Got my blog out there, got a potential Q&A set up with Disney, got a shoutout to Waves of Steel and didn't even have a seizure.

Oh and apparently also a potential participation opportunity with The Royal Society. UKs national science academy, who are looking into accessibility in gaming as part of their Digital Assistive Technologies (DigAT) project.