Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: I put that inside the spoiler tag, I have no idea why it's showing up.

The phone apps sometimes have weird spoiler tag interactions, it likely is hidden in a browser. To be safe, paste the link as a url rather than as a video and it'll be behind a link.

The earlier Marvel Studios eyecatch may have been even worse, it had an accelerating flipbook of comic book panels that sped up and faded out into the Marvel logo over the course of a few seconds. I don't have an epilepsy diagnosis and it always annoyed me to watch the first few seconds.

Linked here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

So a thought just occurred to me. If you know someone with epilepsy who is at risk of a full blown seizure from looking at something on their phone, tv, computer etc. take the time to talk with them about having someone they absolutely trust go through their recently used media devices and clear caches and browser histories. If I get a seizure from watching something, chances are that I will have forgotten what I was during right when I got said seizure and I'll try to go back what I last remembered doing (likely browsing something a minute or two before hitting the digital landmine).

The "clear recent history" function of some browsers may also help if you can't get a manual review too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Along the lines of the Marvel trailers earlier, have real world paper flipbook animations ever given you problems?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's always nice to stumble across the perfect calibration standard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oh wow yeah I ublock obnoxious avs all the time, I wish I'd thought to tell you about that tool. Glad you're using it now!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Are ADA complaints a thing? Rather than filing a complaint against the grocery store, I'd try to figure out the manufacturer and model number of those displays and try to get that design changed.

It might also be a setting the store can change. The network light might be handy when setting them up but when you have 200 of them flashing at you they're a lot less useful as an indicator.

Failing that, would some green blocking lenses at least let you go to the grocery store safely? Green LED light is usually between 520-530 nanometers wavelength. I don't know how expensive it would be to get effective ones, though - cheap ones might let enough of the blink through to still give you problems, and green laser safe ones can be pricey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Heads up: the website http://www.bigassmessage.com lets you create a page that has some text in a large font in a variety of styles. Basic, heart, and jprdy are all pretty tame but the "magic" style is white text on a rapidly color changing background (~60 Hz), which is annoying for me to look at and seems like the sort of thing that could bring on an episode if you're susceptible. The URLs it returns are short alphanumeric strings and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell what style it is without clicking it; the URLs are generated when the message creator selects the style and puts in the text. So if you encounter one of those URLs be aware of what could be on the other side of it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I hope it helps and is a net positive in your life.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:toot:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nighthand posted:

I wonder if something like this would work computer-wide. My first thought was a custom filter in something like f.lux but I dunno if they have that functionally. https://www.east-tec.com/colorveil/

I didn't dig into it so apologies if it's sketchy.

The cheap way is a piece of tinted film like a glare or privacy filter placed over the monitor, if one is available in the right color. But yes, that seems like something achievable in software.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Is there a visual effect analogous to the audio compressor? Something that could dampen the brightness of flashes, but not the darker parts of a video signal? Not just a filter, but something dynamic?
Could something like that possibly help with the damnger of stumbling on a trigger?

That seems doable, something like "average the brightness of all pixels over the last 10 seconds, reduce brightness of anything more than 2 standard deviations brighter than that to 2 sigma" though you'd have to get pretty deep into the video drivers to do that, I suspect.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Best I've got so far is the fancy lenses on my glasses.

Aside from a worrisome case of the hipster look, they make a ton of difference in both blinking lights and color contrast issues.

No glasses just as a baseline.

Old glasses.

New luxurious hipster glasses with protection against seizure.

Once I take them off, the whole world just feels much more reddish/orange and harsh. They also block surprisingly little light, so they barely have any sunglasses effect at all.

You look good. The glasses match the trim in your extremely cute kitchen! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dirby posted:

It's actually random. It was a full page quickly-animated MRI of a human head for me, which I assume is bad for those with photosensitive epilepsy.

I reloaded the page and got a different annoying flashy background every time. As if I needed another reason not to go to tumblr!