Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Could also be that the primary pitch of nft gaming is anathema to EA’s usual business. They currently just fleece you for players each year, but that money train sounds a lot weirder when the sales pitch of nft is taking it with you to other/next games because you own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's not clear what EA is doing right now, including possibly looking for a buyer

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The next layer is the fact that I don't know what player would possibly want to interact with a system like this. If I like playing World of Warcraft, presenting me with the suggestion that if I want to get ahead in raiding I should play Candy Crush for 20 hours and then transfer resources from that game into Clash of Clans and then further beyond, would not elicit anything from me other than loud retching noises. Just the idea that this is somehow desirable to anyone is baffling. I don't know how someone can be so divorced from the modern gamer zeitgeist as to believe that. There's no incentive for players either.

The funny part about this is that in Shadowlands WoW basically has this sort of situation going on, with a whole bunch of currencies that force you to spend dozens of hours playing all sorts of content you may or may not like and then converting them back and forth in a byzantine system in order to get your gear upgraded enough so you can actually do end game raids

How's it going? Its led to the collapse of WoW (among many, many other things, although those things aren't opposed to the NFT crowd either) to the point where the catgirl MMO took its crown

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 8, 2022

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Golden Bee posted:

I’m web developer who has ever played a video game, but my name isn’t Niccolae Carpathia or whatever.

I once quit a company because it was developing its own internal cryptocurrency for bonuses

That is arguably Company Scrip and is outlawed in both the US and UK. I'm assuming the company in question was based in the US :ughh:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Klyith posted:

Nah. Because the other thing about EA is they don't take risks, can't innovate for poo poo, and are always late to everything. Often so late that the party's already over by the time they arrive.

EA made a star wars mmo and it was the signal that mmos were pretty much over. EA was trying to make a moba but were still working on it in 2014 (peak moba) when they cancelled it. EA made a live service game and it flopped, because Anthem was up against games that had gotten years of polish work. They made VR games in 2020.

The only reason EA has a successful battle royale game is they bought respawn from outside.

So based on history, EA is working on a blockchain game right now and will announce it about 5 minutes before everyone else announces they're shutting down their NFT projects.

Electronic Arts Presents...

EA Trax - A blockchain based music streaming platform.

With the power of the blockchain, you can own your very own NFM (Non Fungible Music) and even make millions selling your NFMs over the EA Origin service. Be the talk of the town by getting your music to star in the hottest new EA blockbuster titles for just a minor fee*. Empower yourself in a way no producer would let you be and make yourself famous** with EA Trax.

*Fees will be adjusted by level of exposure. Exposure levels are confidential and possibly made up numbers.
**Service may be discontinued at any time. Electronic Arts reserves the rights to claim ownership of all NFMs on the EA Trax network at the time of server shutdown.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I was thinking that interconnected blockchain games post has some of the same 'logic' as the 'play to earn' thing in NFT games, where it's like "If I'm putting hours of time into this thing, shouldn't I be getting something back from it?" So the guy in the example was already playing three games and thinks, if I already spend hours playing both Candy Crush and WoW why shouldn't I be getting some reward for it. (and of course the idea that you pay for entertainment, not the other way around, is considered a great injustice to them that must be corrected by blockchains) So the idea, at least, is less 'you have to play all games' but 'whatever you want to do is worthwhile.' And yeah, like everyone said, it still breaks down because people will find the best way to earn and do that whether or not they want to play Candy Crush, or pay someone cheaper to do it for them like Axie Infinity already was.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean it also breaks down on a far more simpler level:

I'm not modeling, texturing, rigging, and doing the rest of the work to implement your fantasy MMO asset into my space game, especially if we're not even owned by the same publisher. Let alone every game doing it for every item.

Like, game assets are more and more complicated and even when they weren't as complicated moving them from one thing to another wasn't just copy paste. God help you if it's a different engine that swaps the loving X and Z axis.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I imported my character from baldurs gate 1 into baldurs gate 2.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I mean it also breaks down on a far more simpler level:

I'm not modeling, texturing, rigging, and doing the rest of the work to implement your fantasy MMO asset into my space game, especially if we're not even owned by the same publisher. Let alone every game doing it for every item.

Like, game assets are more and more complicated and even when they weren't as complicated moving them from one thing to another wasn't just copy paste. God help you if it's a different engine that swaps the loving X and Z axis.
This is the thing that always cracks me up. The absolute fundamental lack of technical, financial, and frankly everything knowledge about games exposed by thinking this could work is just astonishing. Completing the first module of even the most bargain basement "how to maek gamez" tutorial would reveal how this flat just doesn't work, never mind having done literally any actual programming.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splicer posted:

This is the thing that always cracks me up. The absolute fundamental lack of technical, financial, and frankly everything knowledge about games exposed by thinking this could work is just astonishing. Completing the first module of even the most bargain basement "how to maek gamez" tutorial would reveal how this flat just doesn't work, never mind having done literally any actual programming.

This also explains why the one guy who 100% knows the massive technical problems, and yet is still hyping "the metaverse", is Tim Sweeney.

Because if a plausible form of the metaverse happens, it's probably everyone running on UE with Epic making the standards for portability, and Epic is the next Microsoft.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
“what if second life but a good code base“ it’s an intriguing idea, and it was implemented by Garrys mod more than a decade ago

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And is in a newer and better buy-in format with Vr chat.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Axie Infinity now says it was never about the money.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lmao yeah okay

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

That's true. It was about cryptocurrency, which is not money.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just realized episodes of Teen Titans Go! exhibited a better understanding of economics than cryptobros.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Negative infinity

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Apparently I missed an entire release and pulling of an SNK NFT launch all day.

https://twitter.com/NyaattoBerritto/status/1539114260764274688

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay this is very much "Boomer brand doesn't get the new fad but wants in anyway": https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/14/23166278/chevy-corvette-nft-xsullo-auction-blockchain-web3-crypto

But I guess it's the least silly one i've seen so far? You still get the car.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I just realized episodes of Teen Titans Go! exhibited a better understanding of economics than cryptobros.

Its a legitimately clear explanation and how and why it results in extremely unethical behavoir.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.thegamer.com/ni-no-kuni-mmo-bots-crypto-controversy-queues-nfts/

The Ni no Kuni blockchainwreck is happening.

The game is solid bots with a long login queue. Players can temporarily bypass the queue with an IAP Fastpass.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Finally, a theme park mmo that really gets the first part down

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I suppose the real question is whether the bots are also buying fastpasses.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"Play to earn isn't looking like a good deal to actual players."

Gee you think? If a bot can do it better than a human (and the implementation of a bot is trivial) then the environment will be all bots. Although the alternative is the Axie Infinity model where the average user is priced out of the market altogether and has to have their play subsidized by someone else who takes a cut...who eventually dictate play like a boss to maximize profit.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Web3 console. 8K/120 FPS with ray tracing. Totally going to happen and not drug fueled hubris.
https://twitter.com/Polium__/status/1543288314433867777?s=20&t=f0JoXFuIdFNuArTMafX07Q

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmao
https://twitter.com/Polium__/status/1543939765644443651

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
And it will launch in 2024. Look how much R&D it takes Sony to make a console the size of a small car that meets those specs but yeah sure some guys involved with NFT will figure out how to fit it into a box of mints.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I mean, that's the beauty of the scam, isn't it? Cryptobros are already emotionally invested in the success of anything and everything NFT, while other people won't even give this thing a second thought so the scammers don't need to waste too much time interacting with skeptics.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
God I hope they hire Julie Uhrman

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I went to their website, and they have a connect button that doesn't do a God damned thing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Polium Whitepaper is pretty fun. It has 1 page that vaguely talks about the hardware in the most abstract terms and the other 14 are dedicated to how their multi-chain voodoo wallet bullshit will work.

quote:

We are currently building the functional prototype. We will have
a functional prototype this year. After the functional prototype
is built, we will start building the console for manufacturing.
The console will have custom hardware and a custom CPU/GPU
provided by NVIDIA.

So we should be able to get confirmation from NVIDIA that they've partnered with Polium right??

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 5, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It is sad that people are still going to put money into this. All they have is a list of flimsy promises, stolen assets, and a rendered mockup of a device with impossible specs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Love how the creator of Axie Infinity is quoted in this article saying that crypto will be better now that people who are only in it for the money are out

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What... What is wrong with these people? Not the scammers, those I have an idea of and despise accordingly, but... People who buy into this... How can they function in basic reality? How can they tie their tricking shoes in the morning?! It's so obviously divorced from any kind of established precedence or background!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
cryptouya

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Popete posted:

And it will launch in 2024. Look how much R&D it takes Sony to make a console the size of a small car that meets those specs but yeah sure some guys involved with NFT will figure out how to fit it into a box of mints.

BUT! You can buy their coin and stake a name in the beginning of 2023!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Samovar posted:

What... What is wrong with these people? Not the scammers, those I have an idea of and despise accordingly, but... People who buy into this... How can they function in basic reality? How can they tie their tricking shoes in the morning?! It's so obviously divorced from any kind of established precedence or background!

I feel like most True Believers only become as such after being surrounded by other true believers or scammers. Like it isn't too far fetched to imagine someone seeing a tweet about a weird new tech and joining a discord, and hey these people are really excited and posting """"funny""" memes and talking about video games! Fast forward a month and now I'm seeing Twitter strangers calling those people stupid fuckers but now this is part of my identity and they're being mean to my In Group so it's time to double down baby!!!

It doesn't help that like, news outlets and other platforms with a degree of authority were talking about how great it is. I remember an NPR interview earlier into the pandemic where they were talking to some dude who sold his art as NFTs and he kept talking about how great it is that nfts let young poor artists survive in such difficult times, and the interviewer just bought into it wholesale

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that's right, they didn't copy the gamecube logo

they copied the poliigon logo

https://www.poliigon.com/

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I love that they have a bunch of buzzwords as specs and further down in the FAQ it says:

quote:

What will be the specs?

We aim to build a high-performance console. The specs you see on the site are not confirmed until we have a functional prototype.

Because it can't be false advertising if the whole thing is a lie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

repiv posted:

that's right, they didn't copy the gamecube logo

they copied the poliigon logo

https://www.poliigon.com/
The gamecube is a cube shaped game console. The logo is a colourful letter G made of cubes, the animated version is a cube drawing a G. It is a Game Cube and the cube creates your gaming experiences.

Poliigon is a 3d modelling resource distributor. The logo is a flat hexagon containing a P containing a 3d effect cube. Poliigon turns flat assets into 3d models.

The polium one is an irregular oblong shaped game console that does not exist. The logo is a grey cube with P in it. It is a dull featureless knockoff showing no understanding of the source material and contains piss all.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 5, 2022