Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I use wedges to pen in suspects, too.

Drug house? Go wedge the side door and then when you get into main room, wedge the front door. Go wedge the back door too. Now wedge whichever door you're not clearing. Before you go upstairs wedge the door leading to the only other way out of the house.

Stops people from running all over the place while you're trying to finish the level and it stops the guy's from outside shooting at you, then running inside for the kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Goddamn Hippy posted:

Big Swat 4 fan here, i found out about this game two days ago and my pants are still full of poo poo. Are there any swat 4 devs at Void interactive or does this just resemble or borrow concepts?

I don't think there are old devs, but to be perfectly clear about it: This is SWAT 5 in all but name, full stop.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
This game is friggin' amazing. While it still lacks certain equipment and commands from SWAT 4 (such as a sniper overlook), it is BY FAR the closest I have ever seen to a spiritual sequel.

Even in its barebone state, just having a score for each mission type is enough for me to enjoy it. I've been trying to do better and better each time. I'm so surprised at how good this is, AND I can play it with friends as well!

It's been so, so long since we've had a title like this, I'm really happy with it! :allears:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This game hits such a spot it’s unreal. I played SWAT 4 until just a few years ago because there was nothing like it.

I just want official mod tools now.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I love this game so far but man I can't wait for when they update the AI. I've put in probably 15 singleplayer attempts and a few coop attempts at the gas station hostage rescue scenario and the absolute best mission rating I've seen was a B rating and 2 out of 3 hostages surviving. The AI reaction times are just insane. Like, you peek the door and toss in a flashbang and by the time the bang goes off all of the hostages are dead.

Anyway I haven't played a game this tense in a long time. It's great.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
There was an AI mod linked in the airgoons discord.

I successfully set it up in about 5 minutes and we have done a few runs with it. It seems to smooth out the AI responsiveness, and improve gameplay by fine tuning a few parameters.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Does the AI mod let you control lethal trap spawns? They’re honestly the most unfun part of the game. They’re easy but tedious to counter - having to wand every door is not a fun or interesting gameplay mechanic

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

causticBeet posted:

Does the AI mod let you control lethal trap spawns? They’re honestly the most unfun part of the game. They’re easy but tedious to counter - having to wand every door is not a fun or interesting gameplay mechanic

Yes in fact he removes them from certain missions while increasing the hostiles while limiting the civvies. You can edit the file to your liking however.

http://kronzky.info/ron/aimod.html

In coop only the host needs to run it.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
Ready or Not now has a page on Nexus Mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/readyornot

RoN will have workshop support in the future but this should be helpful for now.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I still can't believe I am playing basically an updated SWAT 4 in 2021.

Except now I absolutely hate everything about the police, but it makes for amazing team gameplay.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wow, some of these enemies just do not give a gently caress and will try anything and everything to get you.

https://i.imgur.com/NsBho7V.mp4

The extra fun part is that I've also seen suspects do the exact same reach for a gun as they surrender, but then they apparently think better of it and just finish surrendering. You really gotta stay on your toes if you want to get those arrests.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You can always use the Taser.

it's never a penalty

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

LordAdakos posted:

There was an AI mod linked in the airgoons discord.

I haven't tried it yet. I suppose there's no harm in trying it.

Perestroika posted:

Wow, some of these enemies just do not give a gently caress and will try anything and everything to get you.

I was trying to do a single player LTL run to get an S ranking on the drug house last night. I cleared a room full of compliant civilians but didn't cuff any of them because I knew an armed suspect was in the next room and the door was open so we rushed in and apprehended the suspect. When I returned to the previous room 1 of the 3 civs was just gone, 1 was bolting out the door with a tec-9 in hand and the other was still compliant. Anyway, we cleared a previously cleared nearby room and 2 of my guys get killed through the wall by the tec-9 civilian hiding in the corner of the adjoining bathroom.

The shooting through the walls thing really makes non lethal runs.... impossible? Anyway still love the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Steak posted:

I haven't tried it yet. I suppose there's no harm in trying it.

I was trying to do a single player LTL run to get an S ranking on the drug house last night. I cleared a room full of compliant civilians but didn't cuff any of them because I knew an armed suspect was in the next room and the door was open so we rushed in and apprehended the suspect. When I returned to the previous room 1 of the 3 civs was just gone, 1 was bolting out the door with a tec-9 in hand and the other was still compliant. Anyway, we cleared a previously cleared nearby room and 2 of my guys get killed through the wall by the tec-9 civilian hiding in the corner of the adjoining bathroom.

The shooting through the walls thing really makes non lethal runs.... impossible? Anyway still love the game.

You can switch between teams and tell them to start restraining people. If you know an armed dude is in the next room you can bang for some time and get your AI to arrest everyone very quickly.

Had the same situation. Pain in the rear end.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Dipped my toes into single player so I can familiarize myself with the mechanics of the game before I get a bunch of goons killed repeatedly engage in that hot, hot tacticool action via the Discord. This truly is a spiritual successor to SWAT 4, complete with the cheesy music when engaged in a firefight and is super fun to play. Gotta say....does the overall tone of this game seem a little chuddy to anyone else or is it just me? Not super cool with the "my mom has a Mexican housecleaner, maybe you know her?" line or the poo poo about homeless encampments in Los Suenos (totally-not-Los Angeles) but whatever, I'm still down to play with goons.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Dipped my toes into single player so I can familiarize myself with the mechanics of the game before I get a bunch of goons killed repeatedly engage in that hot, hot tacticool action via the Discord. This truly is a spiritual successor to SWAT 4, complete with the cheesy music when engaged in a firefight and is super fun to play. Gotta say....does the overall tone of this game seem a little chuddy to anyone else or is it just me? Not super cool with the "my mom has a Mexican housecleaner, maybe you know her?" line or the poo poo about homeless encampments in Los Suenos (totally-not-Los Angeles) but whatever, I'm still down to play with goons.

The game is made by Kiwi people, and who are non-chuddy in their twitters and discussion forums, so I gotta defend them there.

They also like to fight people who complain about women coming to the game as officers and they do call out racists in their discord.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Good enough for me. Looking forward to restoring order to chaos via the Discord soon!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If there's strong interest I can set up channels and roles for the game in the Co-op Gaming Goons discord. I was pretty hesitant with the thin blue line rhetoric I was seeing from the devs, but this thread has convinced me otherwise.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Discendo Vox posted:

If there's strong interest I can set up channels and roles for the game in the Co-op Gaming Goons discord. I was pretty hesitant with the thin blue line rhetoric I was seeing from the devs, but this thread has convinced me otherwise.

I'm having fun with this game and would like to play it with more idiots.

MiracleGrow
Jul 17, 2021

fart
Game feels great so far. Has a different feel compared to Ground Branch which is a game in a similar vein to this. I still prefer Ground Branch cause the customization in it is excellent. But this game holds up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I do hope they'll go and touch up animations a bit more over the course of development. Right now they tend to look kind of unnatural and can be hard to parse, particularly if a guy is actually about to shoot you. I think that's one of the reasons why the current meta seems to lean towards "shoot on sight".

https://i.imgur.com/nZKZ2po.mp4

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Perestroika posted:

I do hope they'll go and touch up animations a bit more over the course of development. Right now they tend to look kind of unnatural and can be hard to parse, particularly if a guy is actually about to shoot you. I think that's one of the reasons why the current meta seems to lean towards "shoot on sight".

https://i.imgur.com/nZKZ2po.mp4

Yeah, this is my #1. In a game where every split second analyzing movements counts, you can't really half-rear end stuff like that.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MiracleGrow posted:

Game feels great so far. Has a different feel compared to Ground Branch which is a game in a similar vein to this. I still prefer Ground Branch cause the customization in it is excellent. But this game holds up.

That's probably two different spirits of the same root.

Ground Branch is the successor to original Rainbow Six games like Rogue Spear. It's "bullet, meet face"-type. There's no yelling and no arrests.
Ready or Not is about Police Quest and SWAT games with similar pace, but different end goals. They scratch a different itch for me, both are nice.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Right now the AI just needs tweaking. If I flashbang a door guys shouldn't stream out shooting the second the flash leaves my hand.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vahakyla posted:

The game is made by Kiwi people, and who are non-chuddy in their twitters and discussion forums, so I gotta defend them there.

They also like to fight people who complain about women coming to the game as officers and they do call out racists in their discord.

That actually makes a lot of sense. An American dev making a game like this in 2021 is insane but kiwis that don't have the same issues as we do, at least not so visibly. They're just making a cop movie game.

I guess it's more acceptable if they aren't flagbeaters like a lot of the fans, but if I end up getting this again I'm probably going to stick to playing with goons or friends because even if the devs aren't chuddy their fanbase sure as hell is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh huh, turns the overpenetration is really pretty significant when you take the bigger guns. I usually run with the SA58 cause why not, and apparently I just managed to shoot past an armed suspect, through a door, through a wall, into the head of an unfortunate civilian :ohdear:. I guess that's one more point in favour of shotguns and SMGs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The co-op goons server now has a set of dedicated roles, channels, and bot commands for Ready or Not and related tactical police games.

invite:
https://discord.gg/snj93HZ

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

This seems pretty reasonable for their first update. Glad to see an AK74u variant, was kinda worried we’d be limited by “GRR THATS NOT A GUN THAT AN LAPD SWAT TEAM WOULD USE” but this seems to stomp that out!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

slightly off topic but this just hit my youtube feed and A) what a bizarrely specific subject for a video essay and B) god drat how many hours went into this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oTfH90psC4

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Oh huh, turns the overpenetration is really pretty significant when you take the bigger guns. I usually run with the SA58 cause why not, and apparently I just managed to shoot past an armed suspect, through a door, through a wall, into the head of an unfortunate civilian :ohdear:. I guess that's one more point in favour of shotguns and SMGs.

Oh don't worry, this'll still happen with 9mm and 45, you can overpen an armed suspect with just about anything.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Weird to me you can't chose between FMJ and JHP like SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six. Seems like one of the first things you would implement.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://kotaku.com/controversial-steam-best-seller-ready-or-not-is-an-unse-1848317351

lol

lmao

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That article was not very good, huh. Weird writing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I never read game articles and this simply reinforces why, anything I ever wanted to know before I buy a game is in the steam reviews

Typically I buy games to play them and have fun, either single player or with strangers on the internet

I could really care less about the political motivations of the people making a game, just let me do fun things

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I like how they complain about bad cop things and then also complain about getting punished for not following RoE. They do have a point about some of the dumber assets and voice lines, but the guy definitely came in ready to write a hit piece, unwilling to just say, "Hey, it's a great tactical shooter, but here's some stuff that's a bit hosed".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really appreciate the complaint about the $40 price tag because lmao

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm relatively convinced that the devs are lovely people for a bunch of reasons and the whole theme of the game is problematic as hell in this day in age. But the latter is pretty much on the tin and no one's going to argue against it so whatever and the former is something you can't really do much about. So lmao at games journalism, above all else.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Orv posted:

I'm relatively convinced that the devs are lovely people for a bunch of reasons and the whole theme of the game is problematic as hell in this day in age. But the latter is pretty much on the tin and no one's going to argue against it so whatever and the former is something you can't really do much about. So lmao at games journalism, above all else.

I would be more concerned if it was an American developer but they're what, Kiwis, right? This is just based off the SWAT media we export not a bootlick blue lives matter perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I would be more concerned if it was an American developer but they're what, Kiwis, right? This is just based off the SWAT media we export not a bootlick blue lives matter perspective.

The SWAT stuff is but unfortunately the lovely reach of crazy people on the internet is much much further still. Them being New Zealanders doesn't mean they can't be racists or misogynist dickheads or what have you.

That said I don't really want to drag this thread down litigating that stuff, it bothers me but the world is awash in stupid people who believe stupid poo poo so I'm just gonna play the video game.