Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

exquisite tea posted:

It's fair to say that Dinotopia was probably the single most influential fictional work I read as a little kid, everything about my young imagination and aesthetics stemmed from that series. I would look at the illustrations for hours and imagine myself as if I were really there.

Same, same, same.
Plus, Dinotopia is a gateway drug to Art Noveau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sally posted:

what's your ranking?
From best to worst:
1>4>10>7>6>5>2>3>8>14>11>9>12>13

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
I've recently been dipping my toe increasingly into dino and paleo stuff, following some paleoart accounts on twitter for example. There's just something magical feeling about how the world used to be before we were around to see anything about it. I was more into this stuff as a kid than i've been so I'm behind on stuff that isn't hominids (because we covered hominids in my anthropology studies back before i graduated), but this wouldn't be the first relapse into an older fixation I've had over the past couple years. and i've enjoyed having my yugioh and pokemon phase back so why not?

So thank you OP and others, any channel i wasn't already subbed to i now am and i've added a bunch to watch later.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What could've been:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i think any real dinohead will enjoy steve bissete's tyrant, he only ever completed 4 issues of something like a planned 100 issue run that was supposed to like follow the life of a trex https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrant_(Spiderbaby_Grafix) it is meticulously researched, the art is sublime and the notes at the end are really interesting reading. being from the mid early 90s some of it feels a bit dated but still worth a read. i don't think that it's ever been collected so your options for reading it are :filez: or finding old issues online or at your local comic book store. i own a couple of issues and haven't paid more than $10 cad for one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

On the other hand, the licensed Jurassic Park comic:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
lol I have that somewhere. It’s not good

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I remember the Lost World comic as weirdly good but perhaps I was a child with low standards

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One pointy ear away from being Namor

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

david_a posted:

lol I have that somewhere. It’s not good

Yeah, me too. It was pretty shameless about it's bait and switch tactic too. Like this cover make it seems like it's a pretty exiting comic:

Turns out that that image is from when Alan Grant is scaring that kid at the dig site.

lkid
Jun 4, 2006
Simon Stalenhag, the Tales from the Loop guy does paleo art:
https://www.simonstalenhag.se/paleo.html

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yknow in retrospect Grant could have said "more like a six-foot goose" and saved the terrifying monologue

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

lkid posted:

Simon Stalenhag, the Tales from the Loop guy does paleo art:
https://www.simonstalenhag.se/paleo.html

he is great at capturing environments

just look at this foggy, damp morning

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ricardo Delgado did a comic series called Age Of Reptiles which was some of the best dino comics I've ever seen. It quite often had gigantic crowd scenes like this:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkb0ymjIykU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ricardo Delgado did a comic series called Age Of Reptiles which was some of the best dino comics I've ever seen. It quite often had gigantic crowd scenes like this:

So good! I love how the herbivore zebra stripe dazzle-camo really works. And the oxpecker pterodactyls.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Has anyone been watching Prehistoric Planet? I'm only one episode in, but it's fantastic. I wish the narration gave more of a peek into the science with "...as shown by a bed of fossils found in Montana..." or whatnot, but otherwise it's exactly what I've wanted out of a dinosaur documentary for years.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

They discovered a new prehistoric whale. It was shorter than a blue whale:

But was so incredibly fat and dense that they think it weighed at least as much as the largest blue whales, if not more.

At a time when most whales looked like this...

It look liked this.

https://phys.org/news/2023-08-heaviest-animal-scientists-massive-ancient.html

I feel a connection to this whale.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The biggest of chunguses

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the archaeologists believe it became so fat that so that it could move less.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Developing denser bones to counteract the sheer amount of your own blubber so you can float around and be even lazier, that's some pro tier evolving right there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Harkonnen rear end whale.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well actually, in Dune it's mentioned that the Harkonnen fortune comes from "adroit manipulation of the whale fur market." So not quite a Harkonnen whale.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My favourite dinosaur is Dorothy. She eats flowers, is very friendly and has a song written about her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpvDYnwkOPE

Can any of your fancy Spinosauruses say that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

Can any of your fancy Spinosauruses say that?
They keep changing their mind about everything about spinosaurus so maybe

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mystes posted:

They keep changing their mind about everything about spinosaurus so maybe

I'm waiting for the "aerial spinosaurus" theory.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a "speculative evolution" fictional creature dubbed Spinofaarus vulgaris which is supposedly what the spinosaurus might have ended up looking like if it continued evolving for aquatic life and basically ended up looking like an elephant seal and it's freaking hilarious

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't believe science finally identified what my posting enemies look like :aaaaa:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I thought we were friends!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm waiting for the "aerial spinosaurus" theory.

This was a serious proposal.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-fantastic-gliding-stegosaurus-107838636/

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That is class-A illustrating. The caption notes "if man could have been there", the dude is freaking out, and there's a convenient bush right in front of his butt-crack so it's not lewd :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That is the most art nouveau illustration of a naked man being startled by a flying stegosaur I have ever seen

Alphonse Mucha wasted his fucken talent on all those pictures of women

mystes
May 31, 2006

If people had been there we could have been riding flying stegosauruses and how loving awesome would that have been?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Phy posted:

That is the most art nouveau illustration of a naked man being startled by a flying stegosaur I have ever seen

Alphonse Mucha wasted his fucken talent on all those pictures of women

I had to double-check it wasn’t a Winsor McCay drawing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dinosaur Kingdom II in Natural Bridge, VA is an attempt to...well, take a look at this to get an idea:

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Dinosaur Kingdom II in Natural Bridge, VA is an attempt to...well, take a look at this to get an idea:

This pretty much matches my general sense of alternate history stuff in general

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, this place rules

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, this place rules

SIC SEMPER TYRANNOSAURUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

HANG ON A SEC why is there a nude man with a knife garter in the left margin of the dinosaur panorama?

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Aug 25, 2023