Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

roguelike is an incorrect description when applied to 90% of the games its applied to and roguelite is worse. very few games described as a roguelike or lite are anything like rogue apart from being run-based procgen and adding the word lite to it doesnt take away that problem and actually compounds on it. we as gamers need a new term to describe these games tht describes what they actually are instead of making an incorrect comparison to a game they share essentially one characteristic with. i like the term "loop repeat" though its slightly longer but am open to other concepts, it describes the core gameplay wthout direct comparisons and is more evocative. obviously this doesnt affect games like adom, tome, etc. because those actually are roguelikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
rougeish

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Popete posted:

rougeish

even this isnt good because theres no throughline between rogue and hades. actually hades is an even better example of why the term doesnt work because its static room design grabbed at random when a room is generated with set enemy generation parameters applied to it, not procgen. it shares basically no dna with rogue but its called a roguelike/roguelite

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Daggerfall is more like rogue than most "rogue likes", a true conundrum

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a lot of genre names are bad but i don't know if there's anything you can actually do about it. people kept trying to rename walksims before giving up.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

We should give them a name that signifies their outlier status. Let's call them rogues

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I just call them bad, OP

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Isn't Binding of Isaac a Smash TV?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rogue is an Isaaclike

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Let's call them what they are: complete and utter lazy garbage for weirdos. I think you can condense that to "Roguelike."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Common usage OP

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Common usage OP

You and I know it's quite clear
The argument being made here
Change common language
To prevent the anguish
Of endless prescriptivist tears

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Casnorf posted:

Let's call them what they are: complete and utter lazy garbage for weirdos. I think you can condense that to "Roguelike."

Casnorf posted:

You and I know it's quite clear
The argument being made here
Change common language
To prevent the anguish
Of endless prescriptivist tears

what is this

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im more offended when people call those games "good" :smug:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rogue squadron like is another subgenre

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Violen posted:

what is this
Sir, Have I done aught to displease?

To wit; comprehension is tough
Presupposition's enough
Or maybe you're hiding
Some way of eliding
The truth of this transparent bluff

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

no

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I like Returnal. It's a pretty good 3d Hadeslike!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Casnorf posted:

Psycho Landlord posted:

I just call them bad, OP

Dandywalken posted:

Im more offended when people call those games "good" :smug:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Maybe each game should have a rogue score. You get a 6 or above, it's a roguelite. 8 or above, it's a roguelike

Below 6 the genre is rogeunlike.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I like Returnal. It's a pretty good 3d Hadeslike!

this wodul also be better but also stupid

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Violence is unbecoming for men of our stature.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Common usage OP

yes but the term still sucks nd not using it would be better. same with calling metroidvanias search action games instead, the term is more evocative and descriptive and doesnt require havin prior knowledge

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Fungah! posted:

yes but the term still sucks nd not using it would be better. same with calling metroidvanias search action games instead, the term is more evocative and descriptive and doesnt require havin prior knowledge

Piquing the interest of some
With the prospect of knowledge to come
Gives context for more
Than the research in store
So evocative names aren't that dumb

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FPSes stopped being called Doomclones, eventually and Moba are no longer Tower Defense or Dotas

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Smash is still not a Fighting Game

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this thread is a roguelike

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this thread is a roguelike

it will be next time sure

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

All of my posts are procedurally generated and therefore do not have a background or image.

Below is a list of tips on writing a cyberpunk story that will make your readers wonder, "Who put this kid in charge of a cyberpunk novel?

Why?"
Follow these simple ideas and your story will likely be considered the front runner in the race for the World Cyberpunk One - Shot Award.

Do not write one set of rules for your cyberpunk.

You want a cyberpunk that is visually unique from everyone else, that feels a little bit dirty, a little bit punk, a little bit strange, and a little bit off.

They should feel like the outsider they are.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of get it but i don't think it's really the job of genre names to be descriptive except as a grouping of things with shared aesthetics. it's not as if "fighting game" is very good at distinguishing the design and aesthetic hallmarks of most fighting games from all the other games which feature fighting without contextual knowledge

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i kind of get it but i don't think it's really the job of genre names to be descriptive except as a grouping of things with shared aesthetics. it's not as if "fighting game" is very good at distinguishing the design and aesthetic hallmarks of most fighting games from all the other games which feature fighting without contextual knowledge

sure but roguelike doesnt even go that far. 1) if you dont know what the game rogue is the term isn't useful at all and 2) tyhe term still isn't useful even if you knew what rogue was but lacked all other contextual knowledge because the game rogue doesnt describe most modern roguelikes even a little. at least fighting game tells you that fighting is going to be the primary thing you do in the game and gives you enough context that you get a decent idea of what the game is

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
very few genre names are actually good at being descriptive without prior knowledge, unless you want to explain to someone why Quake 3 isn't a "multiplayer online battle arena". maybe at like, a really, really high level like "action" or "strategy" they might be useful at being at least vaguely descriptive of the game, but this runs into obvious issues with stuff like "adventure" or "tactical" or whatever.

it's just kind of misguided because the whole reason we use genres is because of context. they're for grouping games (or works of music, or art, or whatever) with shared aesthetic/design philosophies. it's almost a circular definition where a game is in a genre because it's similar to other games in the genre in some specific way, and grouping games together like that is only meaningful with contextual knowledge.

to put it another way genres are never going to be useful to anyone without contextual knowledge because genre categories exist specifically to make game classification and discussion easier among people with contextual knowledge, and not to be an actual dictionary-like definition of what those shared design philosophies are

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
very well.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

very few genre names are actually good at being descriptive without prior knowledge, unless you want to explain to someone why Quake 3 isn't a "multiplayer online battle arena". maybe at like, a really, really high level like "action" or "strategy" they might be useful at being at least vaguely descriptive of the game, but this runs into obvious issues with stuff like "adventure" or "tactical" or whatever.

it's just kind of misguided because the whole reason we use genres is because of context. they're for grouping games (or works of music, or art, or whatever) with shared aesthetic/design philosophies. it's almost a circular definition where a game is in a genre because it's similar to other games in the genre in some specific way, and grouping games together like that is only meaningful with contextual knowledge.

to put it another way genres are never going to be useful to anyone without contextual knowledge because genre categories exist specifically to make game classification and discussion easier among people with contextual knowledge, and not to be an actual dictionary-like definition of what those shared design philosophies are

sure but the problem is that th term roguelike as its used annoys me because it occludes n actual useful term (theres an use for the word roguelike, which is to help someone like me, a guy who likes nethack and adom, find other games that are like rogue like tome or qud or what have you) while also not being useful at all to someone whos looking to break into the genre. the problems not that we dont have a use for the term or that genre as a whole isnt descriptive enough (its not because its supposed to be a short surface level description of something), its that it's a bad use for another term. roguelite is also like that and sounds really stupid too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:hai:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

By definition, roguelikes are about things that happen to the player. Some elements that the game design would have to assume the player is not prepared to deal with, for example. Yes, if I’m going to kill a person I may want to try to figure out how to best kill that person. But there’s also no guarantee that the player is ready to do this. So, I might not be ready to deal with death that seems inevitable at any moment.

Now let’s consider if a roguelike’s scripting language could be used for things that occur to the player, but a human player does not have an easy time understanding. Suppose the player reaches a certain level. But before he reaches that level the character in the game would obviously have reached it. Therefore the goal would be beyond what a human can ever hope to achieve. In such a case, the player’s goal would be beyond the scope of the game’s scripting language.

The second type of failure (and I’m using “failure” here in the sense of “not achieving the goal of the game”) would be the issue of time. You could construct a storyline in which a giant demon, for example, is after the hero and has some time limit. So what do you want to do? You’ve got to make the player’s time limit go quickly or else they won

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
in Bjnding of Isaac i play the role of Isaac. therefore it is a role playing game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Genre: descriptivist term
It ain't an immutable perm
They shift and they flow
Get defined on the go
Their meaning has never been firm

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

X-wing vs Tie Fighter is a roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Binding of Isaac is essentially a heist and assassination game, with less of a focus on keeping track of doors and defeating endless waves of enemies. Unlike the third-person shooters out there, the goal is much more to get through as quickly as possible, collecting as much loot as possible. The purity of its mechanic will appeal to fans of the genre, but there’s also enough going on in the game for those that prefer more options.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PS4/PC/Switch) – dangerous

The biggest issue with the original – and possibly one of the best, if not the best, hack and slash titles around – was the fact that it was so hard, or rather, just hard. Even with custom character races to make the game more accessible, there’s no respite from the pain. This has been addressed somewhat by adding four new characters, each of which has a useful set of abilities, allowing a player to vary their approach.

The core of the game, though, is still the same. Isaac’s powerup set has changed over the years, but it’s still split into a basic arsenal, such as being able to burn holes in enemies with lasers or a disintegrating melee attack, which acts much like karate chops but with an extra smirk.

The strategy of upgrading them is much the same as the original – build up two to four secondary weapons, such as beams, bombs, missiles, and rockets, which are for use in a more traditional way, which has never been the case before.

There are also new classes, the more elemental ones called Magus. They can be built into an attack with a series of spells, which can be harnessed to become more powerful. They have their own roles and weapons, but they work in an entirely different way to Isaac.

While the basic framework has been retained, there are new enemies, such as rat goblins who are immune to fire and are able to swim through water, as well as rarer boss battles.

Unlike previous games in the series, the essential mechanics have stayed the same, but with a vast increase in scope. There is still a bit of the challenge element in the game, but now it’s backed up by new strategies and a wealth of different classes to try out, along with the potential of obtaining unique pieces of gear for it.

There’s still a fair bit of grind here, of course, but it’s balanced by the new achievements system, which rewards players with special items to make progress through the game.

Verdict

While this is the most traditional Binding of Isaac game yet, it’s also one of the hardest and most rewarding, leaving you totally reliant on the essential strategy and risk-taking which has been the basis of the series from the start. It may not offer too much variety, but it’s got that just right, and will keep you coming back for more.

Exceptional

Overall rating:

8/10