Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SearchInward
Oct 22, 2021
I recently went down the rabbit hole of neurogenesis and came across the bio-neurological function of "myelination". From my initial understanding myelination is the process of creating a sheath around certain synapses (I think?) which promotes quicker activation/ communication from the Central Nervous System and the brain-recall parts of the mind. (Think of the insulation around a wire for a visual of what myelination surrounds electrical signals in brain function). After reading about this I found it fascinating and now am curious about what lifestyle changes one could make to optimize myelination (which I believe would promote better learning and application of learned things because your mind can fire off instructions and abilities faster)?

Anyone have any thoughts to share on this topic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Drink your own pee.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Let the nobel prize committee know if you find out, because you'd have found a cure for MS

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Eat more mylar.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
OP, that may or may not be a thing you could improve with lifestyle or diet, but I'd bet 99% of any recommendations you get are going to be total bullshit woo.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Excuse me, but my suggestion is the exact opposite of woo. Oww.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

TOOT BOOT posted:

Let the nobel prize committee know if you find out, because you'd have found a cure for MS

I desperately need OP to come back and explain how they went down a rabbit hole about myelination and didn't notice this has something to do with MS

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Take enough vitamin b12, esp if you're vegan.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Eat your greens, OP.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Stay away from alcohol as it attacks you synapses. You could also try to learn Tibetan Long Fist Kung-Fu but few can master it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Don't get mono

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/epstein-barr-infection-increase-multiple-sclerosis-risk/

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

OP, that may or may not be a thing you could improve with lifestyle or diet, but I'd bet 99% of any recommendations you get are going to be total bullshit woo.

that’s nonsense. Why must you always be so cynical?

SearchInward posted:

I recently went down the rabbit hole of neurogenesis and came across the bio-neurological function of "myelination". From my initial understanding myelination is the process of creating a sheath around certain synapses (I think?) which promotes quicker activation/ communication from the Central Nervous System and the brain-recall parts of the mind. (Think of the insulation around a wire for a visual of what myelination surrounds electrical signals in brain function). After reading about this I found it fascinating and now am curious about what lifestyle changes one could make to optimize myelination (which I believe would promote better learning and application of learned things because your mind can fire off instructions and abilities faster)?

Anyone have any thoughts to share on this topic?

you need to bury some cinnamon under a blood moon, then dig it up and consume it when Saturn and Mars are in Conjunction .

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

CHEESEBURGER

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
It's called neuro-jelking. You need to do special massages on the base of your spinal cord.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Darby !!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Stay away from alcohol as it attacks you synapses.
No thanks!

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you
I've got MS and lemme tell you, yeah def don't experience childhood trauma, get Mono, smoke cigarettes, or get too little vitamin D. Also don't eat meat but that's the one I managed to do.

Also according to a very smart highschool teacher met, if you get MS, stop taking all your meds and mainline flaxseed.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GCU Quelle Suprise posted:

Also don't eat meat but that's the one I managed to do.

I never knew that about MS. Do doctors recommend B12 supplementation? It's the cofactor for methionine synthase needed for primary myelination.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Just eat a bunch of myelin, duh. Just get the myelin bars that Kellog's makes or whatever they call the fancy organic ones at Whole Foods. You can just eat a bunch of myelin pies as well but the crust and sugar adds a lot of calories so watch out for that. Anyway, good luck with your brains.

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

theflyingexecutive posted:

I never knew that about MS. Do doctors recommend B12 supplementation? It's the cofactor for methionine synthase needed for primary myelination.

Are you serious?!!!!! I always had to fight for injections of B12 before I had an ms diagnosis because it always helped me. My current ms doc does not seem interested, but he sucks and I am changing soon. Thank you so much for this and I will report back!

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
turn your monitor on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gotta agree with drinking your own piss, OP.

Also, stick pennies up your rear end.