Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Queen Rush
Queen
Rush
View Results

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Both are awesome in my opinion. I just wanna know what BYOB thinks of which are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Ramen

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
queen even wrote a song about how they were the champions

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
Queen by a mile. Geddy has the voice of an angry infant unfortunately

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

biosterous

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

My trashed brain forgot... gently caress, this question was settled decades before I asked it...

Areola Grande posted:

Queen by a mile. Geddy has the voice of an angry infant unfortunately

That's the best thing tho... Also, he sounded like an angry infant while masterfully playing a bass. but yea, it does come down to rush not making a song declairing themselves the champions. technicality got them on this. one.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
FluffieDuckie

I’m an old so you’re talking about my people.

Voted queen for the obvious reasons.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Twenty Four

voted rush for technical ability cuz that's my jam

Armitage

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

nesamdoom posted:

That's the best thing tho... Also, he sounded like an angry infant while masterfully playing a bass. but yea, it does come down to rush not making a song declairing themselves the champions. technicality got them on this. one.

I voted Queen but can admit that Rush definitely rocked when it came to their instrument work. Neil Peart was a drumming God.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Armitage posted:

I voted Queen but can admit that Rush definitely rocked when it came to their instrument work. Neil Peart was a drumming God.

He was the first person I saw have a cubicle of percussion. I bet strapping a GoPro on him would have made for a good show.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Everyone knows pretty much every important Queen song there is and everyone has at least two favorites. But heck if I can recall which is my favorite Rush song. Let's try to invert this: what is your favorite Rush song?

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Escape From Noise

Pretty much the only rush thing I enjoyed was when Phil Ken Sebben raised the threat level to "the cover of Rush's seminal album 'Moving Picturs'." In Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 24, 2021

alexandriao

i mean if u think about it Rush is not going to help your pieces outmanoeuvre their Queen so I have to pick Queen.

Finger Prince

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Yeah but rush wrote a song about smoking all different kinds of weed and hash so...

Macnult

i'm not a fan of either but i picked rush for this main reason:

used to work at one place that had classic rock radio always playing. heard a lot of queen and rush songs. not sure if i didn't like them because i didn't like them, or because i heard them several times on a daily basis

used to work at another place that put on various pandora stations. i'd hear a lot of music i really like and then some rush songs that were okay but also kind of cool because i never heard them before

biosterous

Saoshyant posted:

Everyone knows pretty much every important Queen song there is and everyone has at least two favorites. But heck if I can recall which is my favorite Rush song. Let's try to invert this: what is your favorite Rush song?

yyz

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

hot cocoa on the couch

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

lol

hot cocoa on the couch

rush is def better tho

hot cocoa on the couch

Saoshyant posted:

working man

2nd place is red barchetta

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

Off the top of my head, probably Analog Kid, and A Passage to Bangkok (live). YYZ and La Villa Strangiato are classic instrumentals. The Necromancer is cool too.

idiotsavant
idk i feel like i havent seen Rush in an ASL in a while and Queen won season 10

otoh Mini also loving smashed Queen last season dude was just on another level entirely

Twenty Four

solid answer

Finger Prince

On the other, other hand, fat bottom girls they make the rocking world go 'round.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Finger Prince posted:

On the other, other hand, fat bottom girls they make the rocking world go 'round.

Get on your bikes and ride.

Ugly In The Morning
rush is great BUT one of my high school friends that had a car had a CD system.

queens greatest hits vol 1 was in that cd system.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere with an hour trip to anywhere worth going.

rush rules and Queen is cheesy but god drat there is something fun about having Bohemian Rhapsody down with your friends to the point you’re passing lines back and forth flawlessly. fond goddamn memory.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Escape From Noise

Prog Rock vs. PAWG Rock

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

My problem is that I mostly listen to Rush with this dude I know and drink tall cans and eat edibles and don't know the names of a lot of songs. It's way more fun to space out listening to Rush play. Freddie's voice is really the only good part of Queen.

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Ugly In The Morning

nesamdoom posted:

My problem is that I mostly listen to Rush with this dude I know and drink tall cans and eat edibles and don't know the names of a lot of songs. It's way more fun to space out listening to Rush play. Freddie's voice is really the only good part of Queen.

Brian May;s stuff is pretty cool but not really as music, more the fact he made professional, giantly popular guitar parts with an instrument he made out of garbage at the age of sixteen. Then got his PhD.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Escape From Noise

I choose... Parliament!

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

I choose... Parliament!

I will choose above that's clear, I will choose *parliament sample* The p-funk

Macnult

Prog Rock vs. PAWG Rock

Robot Made of Meat

Queen without question.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Queen if you want passion in your songs. Rush if you want mathematically perfect notes, sung by a goatboy.

note I like them both

Ass-penny

I choose... Parliament!

voted Queen because I can actually name some of their songs, but yeah Parliament is the one ring to rule them imo

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Brian May's stuff is pretty cool but not really as music, more the fact he made professional, giantly popular guitar parts with an instrument he made out of garbage at the age of sixteen. Then got his PhD.

I didn't know that, looked up the wiki for him. I guess that's a pretty good counterpoint to my post. Especially with him having written Flash. I think maybe I might not pay as much attention to the guitar bits in some bands. And Astrophysisist is a nice thing to have in the pocket.

I choose... Parliament!

I was :trashed: when I posited this question(noticeable by the 365,000 day poll). I think to include Parliment would throw things into a zone that it'd maybe need to include a bunch more. At the least I'd say The Who should be included(funny side story, my step daughter asked me one day who 'The Who' were since I was wearing a shirt and my wife told her it was probably some band nobody had ever heard of... We had a long talk that evening and it was mostly us just listening to The Who and me making sure she didn't go through life without knowing how much she was missing).

Zil posted:

Queen if you want passion in your songs. Rush if you want mathematically perfect notes, sung by a goatboy.

note I like them both

I mostly agree with this. Geddy didn't sound bad, but the couple seconds of some Rush songs are a dopamine hit to me kuz my brain knows it's gonna melt from noises lined up in such a great way. Queen I think goes the other way(exceptions of course like Flash and Under Pressure) where the songs either open to Freddie or the first investment is when he starts. He def outsings Geddy, but I think you hit on the root of the choice for people in that it's whether one wants emotional response or want to hear close to musical perfection.
Shhh, I really like both too and my mood shifts back and forth all the time, but I've been more on a Rush kick as I'm currently enjoying being able to space out and not think/feel emotionally

Also, I'd prob rather go to a Rush show if I could jump back in time, but I'd prob rather party with Queen... They made it known that fat bottom girls were overly welcome.

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

rear end-penny posted:

voted Queen because I can actually name some of their songs, but yeah Parliament is the one ring to rule them imo

Come on mate, it's not like I asked Sinatra or Martin. Or the Turtles. Haha, just playing, but Tom Sawyer is the easy answer.

Finger Prince

Rush fall into that perfectly reasonable criticism of prog rock for being overly technical to the detriment of emotionality, but the thing is, Rush was never about that. Yeah they're all incredible musicians, just top form all around, but their songs weren't about showing that off. The guitar solo in a passage to Bangkok live is one of my favourite of all time, and one of the reasons is it's not complex, not just how many perfect 32nd notes can I play in a row in key, it's just perfectly suited to the music. Whether Geddy is yowling about necromancers or longing to hold on to a moment (time stands still is another great Rush song by the way), their songs aren't about technical wankery, it's just straight up rock and roll, played by nerds. I don't think you can really call them out for being too clinical. Also the first ever concert I went to was Rush and I got a contact high from the amount of weed being smoked and there was huge pyro effects and I gotta say it was pretty boss.

idiotsavant

Prog Rock vs. PAWG Rock

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Finger Prince posted:

Rush fall into that perfectly reasonable criticism of prog rock for being overly technical to the detriment of emotionality, but the thing is, Rush was never about that. Yeah they're all incredible musicians, just top form all around, but their songs weren't about showing that off. The guitar solo in a passage to Bangkok live is one of my favourite of all time, and one of the reasons is it's not complex, not just how many perfect 32nd notes can I play in a row in key, it's just perfectly suited to the music. Whether Geddy is yowling about necromancers or longing to hold on to a moment (time stands still is another great Rush song by the way), their songs aren't about technical wankery, it's just straight up rock and roll, played by nerds. I don't think you can really call them out for being too clinical. Also the first ever concert I went to was Rush and I got a contact high from the amount of weed being smoked and there was huge pyro effects and I gotta say it was pretty boss.

Lol, my first concert I don't even remember the band kuz the opener killed 3 songs and the actually band was a hit radio group and they sucked live(weren't great anyways) and my buzz was waining since I couldn't buy beer so my friend and I left 3rd song into the main show to smoke a joint and get a ride back home. I wish I remembered the show better kuz the openning band was awesome and I know I've heard them since then and they got success, but I was gently caress'd before we got to the show.
As far as technical, I think they didn't have a lot of choice. They all played towards perfection, I don't think their goal was to be technically the best but rather to excell. So, I guess I agree on the rock nerds thing. I am sure if many musicians played to technical greatness they could be good. Things that are unreasonably difficult are sometimes to show off and sometimes to just sound great. Closer to the Heart is a complicated guitar thing to do, I can't play guitar and stick to bass kuz it makes more sense, but then ya look at like Les Claypool and him crushing songs on fretless because he's just amazing and it reinforces the idea that the really best players aren't even doing it to outplay others but it's just them shooting to hit the ceiling of their ability, which for Rush was very high. Geddy was decent at singing and I love the gently caress outta someone that'll bass and vocal.
not ever saying Queen weren't one the best bands ever.

I'm really into Coheed & Cambria for the same reasons I like both bands. The ridiculously great sound of Rush with the emotional feel of Queen, maybe not as good on both or maybe better... But it works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Also, I'm so glad to have put this in BYOB and not some music thread/forum. I'd have hated to have had this question devolve into bullshit rather than it bring interesting info and views. How do we just delete all of the non BYOB internet?